Author Topic: Ns.org Comments On Structure Blocks..  (Read 5897 times)

September 19, 2004, 01:11:08 PM
Read 5897 times

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I'm sure you've all read the dev comments on structure blocks.

I've made my post on the NS forums, but what do the LM folk think of this? Will it affect LM server rules? Should it? Does anyone thing the Dev team have got it wrong?
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

September 19, 2004, 01:34:38 PM
Reply #1

Magmatron

• Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
I suppose when the dev team starts pitching in for server costs, it might. Until then, we'll probably be keeping things the same.

TyrNem...blah blah blah

September 19, 2004, 02:24:31 PM
Reply #2

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
I'm sure you've all read the dev comments on structure blocks.
[snapback]29224[/snapback]
Whoseewhatsit? What are you talking about? REFERENCES! NEED DIRECT REFERENCES!

(and for the record,
You know what's funny? I still don't have an account to the NS Forums :p
[snapback]29073[/snapback]
)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 02:27:34 PM by Satiagraha »

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

September 19, 2004, 02:27:40 PM
Reply #3

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
read the latest announcement on the NS forums.

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

September 19, 2004, 02:31:38 PM
Reply #4

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
Type 1: Blocking Vents: The NS team believes that blocking a ground level vent from the outside or building within a vent is exploitive and are investigating measures to remove it from the game.

Type 2: Blocking Corridors, Hallways, Doors: This includes dropping marine structures in locations to block doorways. We consider this to be a valid strategy, and if the marine team has the resources to accomplish this, then that's their decision.

Is it just me or does that sound contradictory?
Type 1: You can't drop buildings (even if you have the res to do so) to block alien passageways
Type 2: you can drop buildings to block passageways

September 19, 2004, 05:10:16 PM
Reply #5

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
lol, i really do wonder if devs actually THINK the community is mature enough to follow these rules...

It's like putting a ADD/ADHD kid  in a small white room for a day with nothing in it besides  a HUGE button that says "Do Not Touch" expecting him/her to actually listen.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 05:10:38 PM by Diablus »

September 19, 2004, 05:34:54 PM
Reply #6

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Must...Not...Touch...Button...

crap.

September 19, 2004, 06:07:10 PM
Reply #7

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
Those rules are preaty much the same ones we follow now anyway.

September 19, 2004, 10:56:14 PM
Reply #8

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The rules basically say that you can't vent block, which everyone agrees with. Even that CAL folks agree with that one.

But then there seems to be confusion about the other two rules, which are that you CAN hallway block, but you can't lifeform block. This would be the difference between dropping a CC wall to cover the aliens getting into a room while you're setting up a siege base, and dropping a CC immediately in the path of a retreating onos.

Regardless, the rules on LM always have been that you use structures for their intended purpose. If you drop a CC you better plan on building it and putting IPs up around it. CC walls also have never been allowed. (that is the building walls ahead of time for protection when no alien are around) On the other hand, aliens blocking just about anything IS allowed, because the effort and res cost for aliens to block off an area with chambers is far more than that for marines. And I've always thought this was the intention of alien chambers, after all, a representation of them slowly taking over the map with infestation.

I'm pretty curious to see how the dev team builds in solutions for these problems. I'm betting building will ghost for a certain number of seconds before becoming solid, or will simply ghost until a marine actually starts building them. At that time we may possibly have a discussion on our blocking rules, but that doesn't mean anything will change, and that remains in the future.

THE MORE YOU KNOW!

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

September 20, 2004, 05:13:59 AM
Reply #9

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Not to mention the direct counter to aliens blocking with chambers: Make the gorge eat lead. There's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to prevent a Commander from dropping an unbuilt CC ANYWHERE on the map (which still, even in its unbuilt state, is tough as nails in a concrete block wrapped in kevlar within a barbed wire fence guarded by rabid dobermans that haven't been fed for two weeks except for an occasional burrito). So we have to restrict that kind of behaviour otherwise, by, say, threatening the Comm with dire consequences.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 05:15:21 AM by lolfighter »

September 20, 2004, 12:20:59 PM
Reply #10

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
There's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to prevent a Commander from dropping an unbuilt CC ANYWHERE on the map (which still, even in its unbuilt state, is tough as nails in a concrete block wrapped in kevlar within a barbed wire fence guarded by rabid dobermans that haven't been fed for two weeks except for an occasional burrito).
[snapback]29261[/snapback]

just for you smarty alecky types, that's a VEGETARIAN LITE burrito! HOLD THE SALSA AND CHEESE!! that's right.. THAT sorta burrito. so that's a pretty rabid doggie i'm telling ya.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

September 20, 2004, 01:31:03 PM
Reply #11

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah, the dev's guidelines seem a little contradicting to each other. But what can ya do? As long as we keep good rules on LM, it doesn't really matter.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

September 20, 2004, 02:01:57 PM
Reply #12

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Interesting comments.

I didn't think it'd really change anything about LM, was just interested to kick the subject around. I think ghosting is probably going to be the way to go, but we'll see what happens.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

September 20, 2004, 02:34:15 PM
Reply #13

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Yeah, the dev's guidelines seem a little contradicting to each other. But what can ya do? As long as we keep good rules on LM, it doesn't really matter.
[snapback]29283[/snapback]

you are very correct sir

the rules on lm should stand how they are since they sorta address this problem with the Don't be a llama rule :D
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

September 20, 2004, 04:59:45 PM
Reply #14

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
I'm just afraid that we're going to get some asshats on the server who will start CC blcoking and whatever with the defence of "But the NS devs said it's ok" v_v  <_<  :rolleyes:

September 20, 2004, 06:57:15 PM
Reply #15

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
the rules on lm should stand how they are since they sorta address this problem with the Don't be a llama rule :D
[snapback]29294[/snapback]
Not really.  That rule is far too open to interpretation depending on what actions one considers 'lame'.

September 20, 2004, 10:55:28 PM
Reply #16

Avs

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Whenever I see a structure dropped in the middle of nowhere, as a adolescent skulk I FEEL it is MY DUTY to cling onto that structure and swing to and fro from it widly while marines spray the otherside full of lead. Ah, the joys of random structures in the middle of hallways. Im sure Im not the only one who loves to cling to marine structures as if it was a playground for skulks.
Avs

September 21, 2004, 08:49:24 AM
Reply #17

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
what if your corridor blocking turns into an enemy block due to the route an alien player chooses to take? is it still kosher?!

I SENSE GRAY AREA!!11!five!1!

[edit]
plus putting sieges ontop or blocking the two vents in one in red room is now developmentally called illegal, yet it's crucial for sieging hive, zoinks! yet more gray area
[/edit]
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 08:50:49 AM by That Annoying Kid »
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

September 21, 2004, 09:18:35 AM
Reply #18

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Solution: STOP USING THAT LAME RED ROOM!

Grmblblbl...

September 21, 2004, 11:43:22 AM
Reply #19

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
It's perfectly possible to siege from red room without needing to block the vents.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck