Author Topic: Location Location Location!  (Read 17625 times)

January 01, 2004, 01:20:53 PM
Reply #60

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
lol, nuh-uh.  Besides, if i did have it and use it then it'd give away if I'm a girl or boy and I like my lil gender mystery game :p

Don't think I've got an accent really, not that I can hear anyways ^^;

January 01, 2004, 02:29:11 PM
Reply #61

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
well, i'm not too concerned with yer gender, but i must have the accent, you gotta give the troops a rallyign speech full of "ACH!" and such :)
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

January 01, 2004, 05:42:50 PM
Reply #62

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
lol, nuh-uh.  Besides, if i did have it and use it then it'd give away if I'm a girl or boy and I like my lil gender mystery game :p

Don't think I've got an accent really, not that I can hear anyways ^^;
Of course you can't hear it :p. No one who has an accent knows they do.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

January 01, 2004, 06:22:04 PM
Reply #63

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
yeah eh? like i was saying over the water cooler eh, i mean, canadians like me eh? we sound eggxactly like americans.

eh?
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

January 01, 2004, 07:52:38 PM
Reply #64

@gentOrange

• Fade

• View Profile
Eh? Que?

:) Everyone here says I don't have a Canadian accent like my dad. Then I have to tell them it's a Saskatchewan wasteland accent.  :blink: I wish we did have some sort of accent though. Chicks dig accents.
Sig size too big, 22kb is the max size, yours is 28kb - DHP

January 02, 2004, 12:47:02 PM
Reply #65

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
hahah, lol, I've been in NC for exactly half my life (8yrs). i moved from NY, so ppl here say i have a New York accent, and when i go to NY, they say i have a southern accent, so i guess i'm pleasently in the middle.

so Nyah! :p

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

January 02, 2004, 12:51:50 PM
Reply #66

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Eh? Que?

:) Everyone here says I don't have a Canadian accent like my dad. Then I have to tell them it's a Saskatchewan wasteland accent.  :blink: I wish we did have some sort of accent though. Chicks dig accents.
I have a drawl I picked up from 'Colifornyah' (So says the Governator) when I lived there for the better part of my life before an equally long stint in Chicago.

Pool - Pole
Doll - Dawl
Roof - Ruff

Meh...

January 02, 2004, 12:59:06 PM
Reply #67

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
my mum keeps telling me I have a private school accent... no, not posh or anything just something to do with how I pronounce things like 'r' and stuff.  Supposedly I pronounce them properly or something; just makes me give her odd looks.

I'm pretty good at mimicking other people's accents though =D
Once on holiday I used to muck about with this boy from glasgow and within 3 days I'd developed his glasgow accent perfectly... unfortunately I wasn't doing it on purpose so I couldn't stop and my parents almost throttled me ^^;

gem's mother: "stop that right now or I'll strangle you"
gem: "eh stawp wa?"
gem's mother: "that bloody accent!!!"
gem: "wit accent? Ah dinnae ken wit yer talkin' aboot"
~gem has to run away at this point from a furious mother~

luckily it vanished pretty quickly afterwards, but if I hang about someone with a noticable accent I usually pick it up.

:p

January 02, 2004, 01:49:15 PM
Reply #68

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
dagnabit! i wanna hear me some accents! i do an excellent commRAGE accent... oh wait..
-Richard Feynman

January 02, 2004, 02:35:27 PM
Reply #69

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Niteowl, I shall make a point of using my fake scottish accent around you. ^^
And I have that thingy with picking up accents too. It's particularly funny with danish. The danes, knowing that theirs is a very small country, make a big fuss out of their regional differences. And in fact, the language varies a great lot from east to west (and to a lesser extent, from north to south). Two weeks with my cousins and nephews in Copenhagen was all it took for me to get infected with their particular (and peculiar) dialect.
And as for the bagpipes: Nope, the scots didn't invent them. Bagpipes were known in Europe long before the scots came up with the now (in)famous "warpipe", as Uranium's picture shows it. While bagpipes slowly died out across Europe, they survived in Scotland because of their close association with the military. What differentiates the warpipes from most other sorts of bagpipes is that the warpipes feature a tube for blowing into, while most other bagpipes were supplied with air through bellows.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 02:36:27 PM by lolfighter »

January 02, 2004, 02:42:37 PM
Reply #70

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
yes danes has all sorts of strange internal accents, and they're pretty bad at speaking other languages i think, im thinking English here...although some has this neat nondanish pronouncation...me i just mumble - i guess i can plug the mic in if anyone wants to hear it someday o_O...

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

January 02, 2004, 03:28:56 PM
Reply #71

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
LF: you are , verily , a cornucopia of information!! and YES! by all means!! ONLY use the scottish acccent 24/7 on LM. please and thank you :D
-Richard Feynman

January 02, 2004, 06:26:31 PM
Reply #72

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
For my last day in San Diego, I headed up to Scripp's Ranch...

.. yeah...

(Says 3/1/2004 becuase it's on Australia Time)

January 03, 2004, 01:21:56 PM
Reply #73

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
wow, is that whats left of a house? BURN, BABY, BURN! >:D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 01:22:05 PM by Satiagraha »

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

January 03, 2004, 05:56:06 PM
Reply #74

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
wow, is that whats left of a house? BURN, BABY, BURN! >:D
You are aware that almost all of Southern California was ablaze in October, killing 25+ people and destroying 3,200 homes? That's not a tourist attraction, I drove out by the Cedar Fire and that's what's left of the homes that are still standing.

January 03, 2004, 06:47:57 PM
Reply #75

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
why? natural fire, or some wacky 'serial' flamestarter o_O

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

January 03, 2004, 08:20:15 PM
Reply #76

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
why? natural fire, or some wacky 'serial' flamestarter o_O
lol what rocks have you people been living under? :p This was like world news, the government declared it a national catastrophe.

There were 6 or so fires around the entire SoCal area, one in Mexico, but most were around San Diego. Some were suspected arson, one was some idiot hunter firing signal flares. Largest most devastating fire they've ever had.

January 03, 2004, 08:57:06 PM
Reply #77

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
The fires were devastating to San Diego and musch of Sothern California. Fortunately none of the fires came close to my place, but I have a number of friends who have lost their homes. I've heard of the idiot hunter with a flare ; thought he was lost and didnt think to use his cell phone, so he fired a flare, which hit a tree or some brush. Whats worse about him not using his cell phone is there were a number of people that could see the area from which he fired his flare very easily from their houses, so apparently the hunter wasn't looking around much.

About the accent thing, sometimes I'll also pick one from hanging around people that have one (or people that do not have my American accent). There have been a few times where I've happened upon a server of NS (before I started regularing Lunixmonster) where most of the people were European and constantly speaking on their mics. By the end of the game, I found myself speaking with a very similar accent, although it wears of rather quickly.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 09:15:38 PM by Grimm »