Author Topic: Don't Forget To Be Nice To Noobs  (Read 7871 times)

December 22, 2003, 05:20:11 PM
Read 7871 times

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Just don't forget.. and dont yell at people for "spamming" voicecomm when they are helping a noob.  Its not really that hard, I was showing one around today.. he seemed pretty happy that I was

December 22, 2003, 08:27:14 PM
Reply #1

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
aww devicenull posting this after alittle "incident" we had a few games ago? lol what a good person u r :lol:

December 22, 2003, 08:37:35 PM
Reply #2

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
yes, be nice to newbies, that means not calling them nubs, noobs, etc. it's not particularly welcoming, and the owl gets grumpy when ppl are not nice.

so far, the LM regs have been good on helping the new players, so kudos to ya.

also, i get cheesed for ppl spamming voice, that means, i hear your voice more than ANY OTHER VOICE AND you are NOT the comm.

i will mute, then i will start kicking. it's tough for ppl to hunt skulks are rines when someone is constantly on the voice. try to keep it TERSE and only NECESSARY please. any silly things can be typed. if it's too silly to say, it's silly enough to get type killed over.

the person who is particularly abusing this knwos who i'm talking to. almost everyone to a person on lm uses voice only as needed and very short, quick statements. i don't particularly want to hear you laugh, scream in pain, or yell insults at the skulk you just killed.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

December 23, 2003, 12:00:52 AM
Reply #3

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
Hehe, I remember my first game, on ns_bast. I was down in atmospheric, and I saw the other marines building turrets, and I wanted to help. Although I never could find the turrets in the right-click menu, and they never would tell me how to drop them, or that I had to hit 'use' on them.

* Grimm reminisces...

Most encounters I've had with people who going around saying "You're such a nub" proved that they tend to be worse than anyone else. You know its bad when the guy is saying 'nub', like 'glub', over voicecomm.

December 23, 2003, 12:24:42 AM
Reply #4

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
My first game, spawned in the Nancy cockpit, and PROMPTLY fell down the vent!  :p   ^^

Took me 20 minutes to figure out there was no way out  :help:

Next game was eclipse. I was trying to figure out why one guy was a foot taller then the rest of us.

Next game I went aliens, went to this strange place called Hive location Fusion Reactor, and noticed the autohelp saying that gorges built stuff, so I went gorge, and was instantly at home! Clicked on build hive, having no idea that it was building itself, or that I needed to build the res node I dropped. I did get the hint that I needed to drop O chambers, and thought that the damn things took too long to build.

I was hooked however!  <3
To the stars!

insert witty line here

December 23, 2003, 12:28:11 AM
Reply #5

Redford

• Legacy Admin
  • Gorge

• View Profile
My first game was with monse, flayra, and a lot of other chat regulars on nano-gridlock, the day of the release.  It was an alien win on hera.  If anyone who has played 1.0 reads this, then they know that's an absolute fluke. ^^

December 23, 2003, 01:03:09 AM
Reply #6

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I miss the 1.04 Hera, there was so much more to weld around the map...

December 23, 2003, 02:55:02 AM
Reply #7

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
My first game, spawned in the Nancy cockpit, and PROMPTLY fell down the vent!  :p   ^^
As did I :) Me and LB are nubs of a kind... I crawled through that vent for 10 minutes exploring (rather slowly I might add) the black nowhere-ness of the vents. Finally I realize there was no way I was getting out, and a skulk came and graciously ended my life :D

Anyway here's my newbie schpiel I vomit whenever I hear this 'we were all newbs once'.

No we weren't.

I'm not going to bore you with stupid cliches like 'A noob is someone who doesn't blah blah'.

Simply put, NS has 4, yes, 4 ways for you to learn how to play. If you can't be bothered to do even ONE of those, read the manual, boot up a LAN server, watch the slideshow, or anything else that might actually teach you the game in safety, I will not help you play. I'm not your Shaolin Master who is going to take you along and show you every aspect of the game. If you can't make a halfway decent effort to learn how to play in the first place, there's not a single reason you can give me to make me waste my team telling you what metabolise does.

I'll teach you game tricks and concepts, and some of the more intricate parts of NS, stuff you'd have trouble learning on your own, as well as complex parts like how upgrades work, hell, I'll even help you with some of the stuff that isn't explained in either manual or slideshow, tell you that res nodes are important, and that if you whore resources you're a pinko bastard...

But if you ask "hwo do i r gunna chaenj into teh ornus!!!!111!!", my response will be 'alt-f4'. Gestating is explained in the manual, the slideshow, and you can easilly figure it out by smacking your right mouse button. Just because you're a stupid lazy crap doesn't mean I'm going to bend over backwards for you.

Furthermore, 'newbish attitude' (Spamming the mic) has nothing to do with being a newb, you're just a stupid little annoying ######.

:D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 03:03:13 AM by Uranium - 235 »

December 23, 2003, 08:12:13 AM
Reply #8

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
One problem with the manual, the single biggest help to me when I started playing NS sometime in May, is that it covers 1.04, and is thus hopelessly outdated.

December 23, 2003, 09:35:14 AM
Reply #9

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
lmao my first game was in ns_caged or hera(forgot which 1), i went alien. i had no clue what to do so i right clicked and tried to go all the aliens , i finally went gorge and ran around testing out spit, turns out my team FLIPS on me for no reason, i got newbie bashed and got PM messaged from the Admin saying read the NS manual dumbass, then i saw the consol screen saying got banned for 25 minutes (this was 1.04)

December 23, 2003, 10:47:47 AM
Reply #10

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
I think my first game was bast.. I dont think I ever read the manual, or watched the slide show.. Noone said a thing to me, noone ever got mad when I didnt know what to do, I would sit back and watch everything go on, learning from it all.

But yea, I see noob and all the other ones as an easier way to say it,

Niteowl: I had someone yelling at me because I was using voicecomm to explain the game to PublicPool, so that pissed me off
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 11:01:40 AM by devicenull »

December 24, 2003, 10:54:26 AM
Reply #11

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
    • http://
Man, my first game (that long long time ago) was eclipse.  I was rines and i basically walked around in other rine's footsteps shooting things that didn't look human.  I could hit thing just from play many many other HL mods for years, so in that sense, i wan't a n00b.  But still, i didn't understand how the aliens worked at all.  But i did comm my second game (and lost :p ) on hera.  I understood relativly how the comm worked from stuff like starcraft and the little autohelp messages (which as soon as i knew the stuff, i turned them off :D ).

Yeah... i guess i had a pretty good n00b stage...

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

December 24, 2003, 10:59:57 AM
Reply #12

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
Niteowl Posted on Dec 22 2003, 10:37 PM
yes, be nice to newbies, that means not calling them nubs, noobs, etc. it's not particularly welcoming, and the owl gets grumpy when ppl are not nice.

Yeah, I help them, but i still call them n00bs (b/c thats the name for their skill level B) )

oh well, forgive and forget

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

January 20, 2004, 07:48:06 PM
Reply #13

SuicidaL MonkeY

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
remember that without all the "noobs" on ns that have been...and the one's who've progressed much more in the game....without BOTH....3.0 wouldn't have been in process right now....by the way im new lol... >:D

January 20, 2004, 11:43:53 PM
Reply #14

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Wow thread necromancy. Now it looks really good with the one page 'be nice to noobs' thread right up here next to the FIVE page 'noobs r teh suxx0r' thread. Oops!

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

January 21, 2004, 12:18:05 AM
Reply #15

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Wow thread necromancy. Now it looks really good with the one page 'be nice to noobs' thread right up here next to the FIVE page 'noobs r teh suxx0r' thread. Oops!
Win :D

January 21, 2004, 11:54:03 AM
Reply #16

Cheez

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v41/tehcheez/
Be nice to noobs, only kick them 3 times, not 4.  ;)

January 21, 2004, 12:25:33 PM
Reply #17

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I was never a 'newbie' in the classic sense... I always read up games before I go in which usually means I've got a pretty good grasp of the basics and even some of the advanced stuff (I love catching up with the latest tips and tricks ^^ )

January 21, 2004, 12:51:05 PM
Reply #18

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I was never a 'newbie' in the classic sense... I always read up games before I go in which usually means I've got a pretty good grasp of the basics and even some of the advanced stuff (I love catching up with the latest tips and tricks ^^ )
Best way is to boot up a lan server and screw around yourself. Gets you a nice handle on game physics, mechanics, and what you're capable of.

January 21, 2004, 01:10:15 PM
Reply #19

Ulatoh

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/user=starvingpoet
first game, ns-caged on some random server.  Marines, comm was really good, a guy named gg...

First time i saw a skulk jump at me, i nearly peed my pantses
Virus removed.
Your sig pic contained naughty language. Removed. -lolfighter
I never had a sig pic :p
Then where'd that picture come from?
Nanites.