Author Topic: Niteowl's List Of 100 Essential Games  (Read 6173 times)

August 19, 2004, 10:46:19 AM
Reply #40

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Aw man, I read the update - Homeworld has to be an essential.

IIRC the first fully 3d strategy game, fantastic script considering its an RTS, beautiful backstory. Has to be essential.

Edit -

I think they're referring to Marathon.

http://www.bungie.net/Games/Marathon/
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 10:47:52 AM by Necrosis »
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

August 19, 2004, 11:24:06 AM
Reply #41

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
yes it is marathon.

are you SURE it's the first fully 3D rts? i'll have to bump it up then. duke nukem 3d, while a classic.. i don't think gets to be essential.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

August 19, 2004, 11:59:46 AM
Reply #42

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Nobody played Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Clone Campaigns?

Basically the Star Wars version of AoE2 :ph34r:

I have SWGB, but never knew there was a CC expansion (or was it another whole game?)

August 19, 2004, 12:50:22 PM
Reply #43

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
It was an expansion. Brought in the Confederacy and the Republic. Quite nice. I got both as a two-fer in the "Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds Saga" box set.

Nice game.. not groundbreaking, but nice. Republic uses clonetroopers, gunships, all sorts of early Imperial stuff. Obviously very heavy on Jedi.

Confeds have Super Battle Droids out the wazoo, pretty poor in the air but have Geonosian Warriors who can fly. Droid focused but NOT mech focused.

Each has its own campaign, and a new unit is given to every civ - the Air Cruiser, which is like a flying Cannon. Also, power droids - think small mobile power centres. Thats probably the biggest changes, other than a few new units here or there and balance tweaks.

On the Homeworld note... yeah, I'm pretty sure its the first to utilise total 3d.

Although

"Militarism Part I was on shelf in 1998 with the name Freedom & Honor, in fact, it was the first 3D RTS (real-time strategic) in the world. And E-pie launched Militarism II this year based on a brand new 3D engine"

Now tbh I'm rating HW higher because it had true freedom of movement in 3d, and was a resource gathering RTS. Otherwise you could just count pseudo 3d games, like, say, Starcraft. But I digress.

August 19, 2004, 12:53:57 PM
Reply #44

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
hrm, militarism eh? never hoid of it ! :) did it influence the gamers after?

on a side note, i'm listening to D&D gamers play.. on NPR.. i'm not sure how the bigger geek is here.. them, or me for listening to them..

sound familiar?
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

August 19, 2004, 03:55:40 PM
Reply #45

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Never heard of it either myself. Just a quote I saw.

Man, D&D... we got blitzed one night and continued our campaign that we played when sober. Bad move. Details can't be given on a family forum. Needless to say the words "inverted spacetime warphole" and "groin" feature heavily. Poor poor Dwarf.

August 19, 2004, 04:07:33 PM
Reply #46

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
Oh man, drunken crazy D&D for the win. Doesn't everyone do that at some point? All I can remember about one game I played once with some friends was that it included the 'Evil Empress Jiggles'. And an evil army of cloned homosexual Hitlers. (it'll all in the way you accent the Sieg Heil)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 04:08:15 PM by BobTheJanitor »

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

August 19, 2004, 06:40:11 PM
Reply #47

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
this is my list of PC games that have impacted game making and/or have a etheral 'classic' feel to them. discuss, make yer own lists!

diablo

Classics, but not sure if they are essentials:

homeworld

<_<  Die
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 06:40:55 PM by Uranium - 235 »

August 19, 2004, 06:52:02 PM
Reply #48

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
diablo was an essential. for all it's haters, it spawned a whole breed of isometric hack and slash.

i moved homeworld up to essential, since it was the first true 3D rts.
-Richard Feynman

August 19, 2004, 10:50:41 PM
Reply #49

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
It did? Like what? The only barely-passable Nox? That's all I can think of.

August 20, 2004, 06:33:07 AM
Reply #50

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Doom is essential, Marathon isn't? That's it, no more love for Niteowl.

August 20, 2004, 10:20:12 AM
Reply #51

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
uranium: sacred, dungeon siege, Arcanum - Magick Obsura, to name a few good ones of the Action-RPG genre.

lf: okok, i'll move marathon up, you mac freak.
-Richard Feynman

August 20, 2004, 02:27:13 PM
Reply #52

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Ultima series yet; Although I havn't played any of the games, I've heard a lot about them and how big a thing they've been.

Anyway, here's my list and explanation of each.
○Halflife -Solid sci-fi first person shooter, amazing moddability.
○Starcraft -Still one of the best real time strategy games out there.
○Diablo 2 -Although I eventually got bored with it, I still poured hours and hours into this game, and had a really fun time with it. Plus there aren't that many free online RPGs (no pay-to-play).
○Warcraft 3 -Continues on with an already well-known storyline, still one of the nicest looking 3D real time strategy's, and the addition of Heroes added a new twist on gameplay. Also, very very cool unit and map creation.
○Unreal Tournament -My first introduction to first person shooters on the PC many, many years ago at a friend's house. Fast-paced, constant action and energy.
○Unreal Tournament 2004 -Great action I enjoy from the first one, with the introductoin of vehicles and many new game modes.
○Sim Tower -Not as complex as the Sim City titles, but still plenty to do and a lot of fun. Rather obscure title, not many people have heard of it.
○Halo -One of the few first person shooters that I enjoy the single player storyline more than online play, good ol' PC mouse and keyboard controls.
○Grand Theft Auto 3 -Brought the classic GTA games to 3D, great storyline, a lot of fun.
○Grand Theft Auto: Vice City -Improved a lot over GTA 3, introduced new gaming elements (shooting out tires, jumping out of cars) and vehicles (Motorcycles, helicopters).
○Battlefield 1942 -First game based around first person shooting and vehicular combat.

I'm sure there are more I've forgotten, but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 02:28:27 PM by Grimm »

August 20, 2004, 09:27:11 PM
Reply #53

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah, Uranium, despite the fact that you don't like Diablo (I played it a little and didn't get too into it), there are thousands and thousands of people who love to hack 'n' slash.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.