Author Topic: What Is With The Update Of Ns  (Read 7866 times)

August 18, 2004, 10:04:11 AM
Reply #20

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Do you remember what was going to come out on September 30th, 2003?
[snapback]26487[/snapback]

HL2?

August 18, 2004, 10:06:33 AM
Reply #21

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
It's a conspiracy Legion. The dev team and Valve have been working on it for years now. :p
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

August 19, 2004, 12:38:29 AM
Reply #22

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Man, the NS devs give the public a few consectutive releases and all of a sudden their getting all hell...  What ever happened to the good old, "its done when its done" days?
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

August 19, 2004, 12:56:21 AM
Reply #23

JimRaynor

• Lerker

• View Profile
I just want to state that I'm not really 'complaining' about it being late, just curious when its coming out. And to reply to the comment about delays and the like; the fact is that no matter how you slice it games will always be delayed from here to eternity, it started happening a decade ago as we know because before that there weren't release dates to follow, most people didn't even know what games were coming out but now its just that the entertainment industry has become fixated on creating buzz about anything that might become popular, hl2, unreal2, Doom3, homeworld2, avp, movies are just the same, if anyone followed the release of avp the movie it was also delayed and was almost delayed again just two weeks before the release. The lead show at mans(?) chineese thearter was cancelled at the last minute because they said they weren't ready with the FX but they still released it on time, too early in my opinion, even though I enjoyed the movie alright. Sky Captain was also supposed to come out a lot sooner than its now 'supposed' release date. I know that its expected to deal with delays on anything movie or game that might even just be hyped a lot and turn out to fizzle. I never expected to get the new NS release on time, but that doesn't mean I don't wanna know when its 'actually' going to come out. I'm sure most of us agree though; if you are unsure about the date don't say it at all...
The difference between obsessive gaming and casual gaming is in the tone of your voice when you die as an onos egg, mine is somewhere around 90db.[/font]

August 19, 2004, 08:57:46 AM
Reply #24

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
I waited during the 1.04 era for 2.0, I can wait for anything
[snapback]26544[/snapback]

seconded.

anyone who remembers the wait for 2.0 will realize that this is nothing.
[snapback]26656[/snapback]

Iirc, 2.0 didn't provide a release date, then miss it by  a month... they just didn't tell us anything ;)

August 19, 2004, 12:11:31 PM
Reply #25

johnjacobjingle

• Gorge

• View Profile
dev, actually i think they gave us a release date for 1.05 or something, then decided on the release date because of all the changes they were gonna make(but hadn't done yet) they were gonna cahnge the name, and wiat a long ass time before they released it.

aka "mary"  thanks to Mr. Bill.
aka "let me stab your face"  if i'm feeling like starting a knife brigade or 3
"Drop Bill at JHunz. Build Bill, research relocation upgrade. WIN!" -necrosis...wow

August 19, 2004, 02:04:24 PM
Reply #26

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
dev, actually i think they gave us a release date for 1.05 or something, then decided on the release date because of all the changes they were gonna make(but hadn't done yet) they were gonna cahnge the name, and wiat a long ass time before they released it.
[snapback]26790[/snapback]
It was 1.1; and no, they never gave a release date.

August 19, 2004, 03:49:10 PM
Reply #27

Magmatron

• Onos

• View Profile
Meh, when I asked Flayra if beta5 would make the game worthwhile again, and wouldn't just consist of bug fixes, I got this answer:

<Flayra|nsinvitational> There are some big balance changes too but we're going to PT them first before I announce.

Guess we'll see. Who knows, some of these balance changes might make the game interesting for me again. Granted, probably not.

TyrNem...blah blah blah

August 19, 2004, 04:12:09 PM
Reply #28

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
They were toying with the idea of unchaining the chambers for beta five...  That would take some fairly massive rebalancing to say the least...  Blame the UCC nubs for the delays!

August 19, 2004, 08:25:58 PM
Reply #29

JHunz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
Man, the NS devs give the public a few consectutive releases and all of a sudden their getting all hell...  What ever happened to the good old, "its done when its done" days?
[snapback]26747[/snapback]
You can't give a release date for beta 5 then go back to talking about "it's done when it's done".  YOu don't get it both ways
"We have plenty of youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

August 21, 2004, 02:42:18 AM
Reply #30

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Man, the NS devs give the public a few consectutive releases and all of a sudden their getting all hell...  What ever happened to the good old, "its done when its done" days?
[snapback]26747[/snapback]
You can't give a release date for beta 5 then go back to talking about "it's done when it's done".  YOu don't get it both ways
[snapback]26839[/snapback]
IIRC beta five was supposed to be nearly compleatly bug fixes at the time the release date was given (just before Voog and Zun were announced as new team members I think).  Not long after that they decided to make several substantial gameplay changes due to input from the new team members.  Beta five may or may not look totally different from every build of this game we have seen to date, and almost definitely won't be just a collection of bug fixes it was originally going to be, thus when the project changes all release dates are instantly invalidated.

It would be nice if they would just come out and say it the way I did though, I can see how many people whould become confused quite easily...

August 21, 2004, 08:10:37 PM
Reply #31

Malibu Stacey

• Skulk

• View Profile
Personally I think with beta 5 they're aiming to get it ship shape for a 3.0 final release as since the WON auth servers were closed down there isn't a current playable final release of NS from the dev team.

Some days the bugs in beta 4a really annoy me but the more time they put into testing beta 5 before releasing it into the wild means having to suffer less bugs when we get our hands on it plus if its true they're attempting to add some balance changes aswell then its all good (couldn't care less about unchaining chambers though).

I remember the wait between v1.1 being announced & 2.0 finally being released and I can honestly say it was well worth the wait. I've yet to see an example of a product which was rushed out to end users actually being any good.

August 21, 2004, 09:30:22 PM
Reply #32

Zek

• Lerker

• View Profile
Is there a specific reason why Beta 5 has gotta be the Steam release? I was under the impression that only a few difficult bugs were blocking release almost a month ago, but it's clear they decided to go a little further with the patch than previously planned. If we were going to be waiting that long for these changes anyway, why didn't they just release their bugfix patch and then call Beta 6 the big release patch?

August 22, 2004, 12:45:29 AM
Reply #33

FireWater

• Lerker

• View Profile
I would like to tell you more about the beta 5 release, but I cannot, Zunni issued a hush hush policy.

All I can say is that it is worth the wait.

This is nothing compared to the wait from 1.04 to 2.01, atleast this verision is semi-fair regarding both teams.

The programmers are working hard, so please be paitent.
Bant!

August 22, 2004, 01:46:04 AM
Reply #34

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I think anyone following the bugtracker can appreciate the sheer amount of fixes going into the release.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

August 22, 2004, 02:37:14 PM
Reply #35

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
[snapback]27039[/snapback]
Does this have anything to do with the (cat)BUS? :huh:

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

August 23, 2004, 01:53:53 AM
Reply #36

FireWater

• Lerker

• View Profile
[snapback]27079[/snapback]

I can't say anything else or I lose my PT spot =/
Bant!

August 24, 2004, 04:30:09 AM
Reply #37

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
[snapback]27079[/snapback]

I can't say anything else or I lose my PT spot =/
[snapback]27104[/snapback]
If the answer was no you could have said no  :p

Now I feel kindof bad for pointing that out  :(  Please don't get mad at our firewater, it was our fault for using psycology on him.

August 24, 2004, 07:24:31 PM
Reply #38

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
Swift! no! You pointed out my ADVANZORZD SYKOLOGY!

Erm.. well... maybe it wasn't so "advanzorzd"...

Rad's post on NS update

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

August 27, 2004, 04:02:51 AM
Reply #39

TyrNemesis^

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://sedlatre.livejournal.com
We'll release it when it's done!

/me dodges incoming anti-tyr fire

No, seriously. There's nothing we'd like better than to release beta 5 RIGHT NOW! But we won't do so UNTIL IT'S DONE!

Omg, that answer sucks, i know, but until you participate in software development, you don't realize that WHEN IT'S DONE is the only honest answer to "when will it be released?".

Be patient, it'll be worth it!
<3 the Gorge
</3 the Shotgun