Author Topic: The Return Of The King  (Read 9756 times)

December 24, 2003, 11:38:59 AM
Reply #20

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
    • http://
am i going crazy, or didn't Frodo and Sam and everyone else return to the Shire and there was a bunch of thugs and stuff ruling? And they lead the hobbits to defeat them and then everyone is happy?

And also, in the book did Frodo and Gandalf sail away across the ocean with the elves?

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

December 24, 2003, 03:41:12 PM
Reply #21

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah, when they returned to the Shire in the book, they had to fight to get it back from Saruman.

And yes, Frodo sailed across in the book, but it doesn't mention that Sam did. In the appendices, I'm pretty sure that it says that Sam eventually goes over, but the reason he can is because he did carry the ring for a short time.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 24, 2003, 03:57:12 PM
Reply #22

Jefe

• Fade

• View Profile
Where did they go at the end of the book? I was very confused.  

And it's quite good that they didn't have to fight for the Shire, it definitely would not have fitted.

*DISCLAIMER*  Do not take the above post seriously.

December 24, 2003, 05:40:00 PM
Reply #23

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Like I said, I hated ROTK the book. The whole reclaiming the shire didn't fit. They destroyed the ring, everyone's happy, GG, then oh darn, here's some last minute fighting. Meh.

December 24, 2003, 07:53:09 PM
Reply #24

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Where did they go at the end of the book? I was very confused. 

And it's quite good that they didn't have to fight for the Shire, it definitely would not have fitted.
Frodo, Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, Celeborn, etc. went to the Grey Havens at the end of the movie. I thought it was rather odd that they showed it, but didn't explain where they were going. The Grey Havens is a place across the sea that isn't part of Middle-earth (if you read the Silmarillion, it explains how Middle-earth was created, and if I'm not mistaken [I haven't finished this book yet] the Grey Havens is/was where the Ainur, who helped form the world with the blessing of Illuvatar, lived). Anyway, the Elves are going to the Havens because it is the end of their Age, and a new one is beginning.

December 24, 2003, 08:10:31 PM
Reply #25

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Wasn't it also known as Valinor or Valindor?

December 24, 2003, 08:32:54 PM
Reply #26

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
they were the 9 kings of men meaning the wraiths were once human =3
now they're just called 'ring wraiths' or nazgul or whatever.

I liked the books and 3rd film, the 2nd was ok and the 1st film was actually more boring than the book to me... I was kinda miffed they missed out some bits i really liked; tom bombadil saving them from the wights of barrow down, old mr willow, meeting the elves on the road, etc ^^

December 24, 2003, 08:43:49 PM
Reply #27

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
The "Scouring of the Shire" chapter was actually filmed, and will indeed be in the special extended edition widescreen release :)  It just wasn't included in the theatrical release, as the actor who played Sarumon left the cast.  My best guess is that Jackson didn't think the scene important enough, and would have rather removed it than faced the fanboy "OMG!  Diffarent actar!!1!" firestorm.

Also from what I gather, many of the more poetic and otherwise 'confusing' scenes were never filmed (The Tom Bombadil episode, for example).  I suppose they were simply seen as far too obscure and ethereal-feeling to warrant inclusion in the movies.  Admit it - the barrow Down scene was quite poetic and whatnot, and definitely wouldn't have translated well on screen  ^^

And last, the Gray Haven is more of another poetic-ish reference, it seems to me.  It is less of a physical thing than a concept - perhaps one of heaven or an afterlife.  To me, the Gray haven represents a timeless place where the chosen children of the Illuvatar go after their era has ended in Middle Earth.  I urge you not to look at it in such a physical sensee - it seems to fit a far more philosophical purpose rather than a rational one.

Oh yeah.  my verdict on the movie?  The emotion was too drawn out in many places, nearly making me gag.  My only other complaint was the lack of respect for ol' Samwise - Middle Earth would have been totally fux0red without little Sam. <3
  And who comes out the hero?  That weak bastard Frodo!

All in all, a very worthy movie and a great ending to a great trilogy.

December 24, 2003, 08:56:12 PM
Reply #28

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

The reason is that men are so corruptible. Isildur was instantly consumed by the power of the ring itself. The 9 rings given to the humans were just extensions of Sauron's power to feed on them until there was nothing left but their corruption and servitude to the power of the Ring.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 08:56:40 PM by Uranium - 235 »

December 24, 2003, 10:00:13 PM
Reply #29

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
The one thing that bugs me the most about all of this LotR stuff:

There isn't a decent picture of the Balrog from the movie anywhere!

Theres even a whole collection of images dedicated to Moria on the LotR site, but theres no Balrog!

December 25, 2003, 01:27:28 AM
Reply #30

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Jackson totally ruined Gimli as well. The books show him as a stalwort brave fighter, the Jackson had everyone treat him like the retarded kid in school.

December 25, 2003, 03:30:14 AM
Reply #31

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
actually, the thing that bothered me about Gimli in the film was that they almost totally took out the parts that show how much he was 'anti-elf' in the beginning and more importantly; his change of attitude with the lady of lorien.  In the film he just comes off as a little gruff then loves the elves to bits with no real transission =/

December 25, 2003, 05:43:12 AM
Reply #32

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The one thing that bugs me the most about all of this LotR stuff:

There isn't a decent picture of the Balrog from the movie anywhere!

Theres even a whole collection of images dedicated to Moria on the LotR site, but theres no Balrog!
Well if you stop by Barnes & Noble quickly and pick up a book called The Lord of the Rings: The Art of the Fellowship of the Ring, they have a nice section dedicated to the Balrog, plus a ton of other concept drawings and pictures of models of everything in that film. I suppose they also have one for The Two Towers.

December 25, 2003, 06:51:44 AM
Reply #33

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Yep - I've read through the Art of the Two Towers book :)  It's got an entire section devoted to the Balrog.

December 25, 2003, 02:20:29 PM
Reply #34

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Oh yeah, it would be in there too because it's in the beginning of the film. Forgot about that. I should pick it up tomorrow when I go shopping (Christmas money :D).

December 25, 2003, 07:02:44 PM
Reply #35

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Meh. I like "the scouring of the shire", for exactly the same reasons that Uranium doesn't. If the entire thing had instantly ended with the destruction of the ring, it would've smelled of Deus ex Machina far too much.

December 25, 2003, 10:25:53 PM
Reply #36

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus

Well if you stop by Barnes & Noble quickly and pick up a book called The Lord of the Rings: The Art of the Fellowship of the Ring, they have a nice section dedicated to the Balrog, plus a ton of other concept drawings and pictures of models of everything in that film.
Yea, but I'm looking for something online that I can use in Photoshop and such, for little creations that I create for the random hell of it.

On a side note, rather off topic: Grr at my mom. I asked her a couple of hours ago if we had any double 'a' batteries, cause I needed a couple for my digital camera. Now, she came to me asking me if I had any spare double 'a' batteries. WTH!?

December 26, 2003, 09:35:37 AM
Reply #37

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile

Well if you stop by Barnes & Noble quickly and pick up a book called The Lord of the Rings: The Art of the Fellowship of the Ring, they have a nice section dedicated to the Balrog, plus a ton of other concept drawings and pictures of models of everything in that film.
Yea, but I'm looking for something online that I can use in Photoshop and such, for little creations that I create for the random hell of it.

On a side note, rather off topic: Grr at my mom. I asked her a couple of hours ago if we had any double 'a' batteries, cause I needed a couple for my digital camera. Now, she came to me asking me if I had any spare double 'a' batteries. WTH!?
Yeah, it wouldn't work for that, unless you or you know someone who's scanner you could use real quick.

As the the other thing, that's quite funny.  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 09:40:51 AM by Malevolent »

December 27, 2003, 12:31:36 AM
Reply #38

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
goodness, i thought i was pretty geeky from reading just those books, but i realize i am NOTHIGN compared to you fanbois, NOTHINK!!!! i am ASHAMED!!! VERY VERY ASHAMED!!!

*rolls 1d4 for shame saving throw*
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

December 27, 2003, 08:33:14 PM
Reply #39

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
It's supposed to be a d20 die ;)