Author Topic: The Return Of The King  (Read 9749 times)

December 17, 2003, 05:46:31 PM
Read 9749 times

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
This thread contains SPOILERS! Turn back now if you don't want to read them![/size][/i]

PLEASE LABEL ANY SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN IT

So I just seen it early today and thought it was good. I can't decide if I like the first movie better than this one or not. I definitely like this one better than the second. I thought the ending dragged on a little too much, even though it was representing the book correctly.

SPOILER

Everything was accurate except for Aragorn using the dead to fight in the actual battle of Minas Tirith, since in the book he just uses them to drive off the enemy forces on the ships they sail with. Aragorn musters up an army of men on his way to the battle to actually use to fight.

END SPOILER

Besides those two things, it was about perfect. So what did you guys think about it? Better than the others?

HunzEdit: BBcode doesn't work in titles/subtitles
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 01:41:25 AM by Lightning Blue »
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 17, 2003, 06:06:56 PM
Reply #1

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I don't feel like getting my book out and also haven't seen the movie, but is it indeed true that  

SPOILER[/size]

[size=8]Aragorn and Aeowyn get married in the movie?[/size]

/SPOILER[/size]

I don't feel like whipping out the ol' book right now, but I can't recall this as happening in the actual book.  :p   Can anybody help me out?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 06:07:12 PM by Dubb »

December 17, 2003, 07:35:21 PM
Reply #2

Smoke Nova

• Skulk

• View Profile
Ahem.

in the books it is Eowyn and Faramir who get married, now that Faramir doesn't have to be a steward of Gondor.

December 17, 2003, 07:43:40 PM
Reply #3

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
SPOILER

In the book, Eowyn and Faramir do get married, but the movie does hint at this. In the movie Aragorn and Arwen get married, just like in the book.

END SPOILER

P.S. You don't have to make the spoiler that obvious.

December 17, 2003, 08:07:53 PM
Reply #4

BlaqWolf

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
SPOILER

In the book, Eowyn and Faramir do get married, but the movie does hint at this. In the movie Aragorn and Arwen get married, just like in the book.

END SPOILER

P.S. You don't have to make the spoiler that obvious.
SPOILER CONVO FOR THE ELITISTS WHO SAW THE MOVIE:

yes it did... it showed em all lubby dubby in the croud watching aragorn get crowned king. so i kinda gathered they liked eachother.

i thought the movie was darn accurate, with the exception of the scouring of the shire and the undead thing... but even tho they werent, who cares? it would be boring if it were exactly like the book cuz we'd all know how it would go. so some new things are okay i guess.

END OF SPOILER (BET YOU WISH YOU COULD READ THIS)
*In Soviet Russia, armory humps you!

December 17, 2003, 08:17:29 PM
Reply #5

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Well, it appears that I've mixed "Eowyn" and "Arwen" into a single character.  Duuhhh......oops  ^^

Thanks for clearing that up Smoke, my brother fom another mother.  Malevolent too.  You can be my official cousin.

December 17, 2003, 10:02:24 PM
Reply #6

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Spoiler request:
How did Saruman fare? Did he get any scenes at all? If so, which ones?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 10:02:40 PM by lolfighter »

December 17, 2003, 11:48:44 PM
Reply #7

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
SPOILER
yes, i'm not sure why tolkien has some names so freaknig alike, like Saruman and Sauron, and Eowyn and Aarwyn :) the first is the horse rider princess chickie doo, and the second is the elvish princess.

jeebus, the elephants were sooo coool. thought the movie was awesoem, they were quite faithful to the book , at least, from waht i could remember. just a few details/chapters left out or changed. but even up to merry stabbing the nazgul king in the calf, sheesh, eggscellent :)

i really appreciated it all, the sets,the costumes, the CG cities. all incredible. sooo worth it :D
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

December 18, 2003, 12:34:14 AM
Reply #8

Smoke Nova

• Skulk

• View Profile
The...Mamalukil.

Better called: Olliphaunts.

I'm re-reading RotK right now so this is all fresh in my mind.

Arwen, not Aarwyn.

Remember, Extended Edition will most likely make it more true to the book then any theatrical release.

December 18, 2003, 03:12:28 AM
Reply #9

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
What was "Arwen" called in the book?  I can't seem to remember that, either.  Alls I know is that Arwen's character (or at least the character that saved Frodo's bacon after Weathertop) in the first book was a guy.

Somebody back me up here.  I ain't crazy, am I? :blink:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 03:15:28 AM by Dubb »

December 18, 2003, 06:50:28 AM
Reply #10

Satanic Monkey

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.thecatacombs.net
Is it true that Ashton Kutcher is in the ROTK.

Frodo: The ring , something something , the ring
Gollum: precious precios
Sam: Hey wait this isn't the ring
Ashton: you just got punk'd
Don't mess with me punk, I'll post in your

December 18, 2003, 01:30:38 PM
Reply #11

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
What was "Arwen" called in the book?  I can't seem to remember that, either.  Alls I know is that Arwen's character (or at least the character that saved Frodo's bacon after Weathertop) in the first book was a guy.

Somebody back me up here.  I ain't crazy, am I? :blink:
You are perfectly sane. In the book, if I'm not mistaken, an elf male named Glorfindel (or something close to that) actually saves Frodo. So you're right.

Arwen is called Arwen in the book, but she has some elvish name probably too.

December 18, 2003, 03:41:09 PM
Reply #12

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Oops.  I suppose an amendment is in order - Arwen did exist in the book (duh).  However, it was Glorfindel (a completely separate character) that saved Frodo and Co.

Thanks again, Malevolent  ^^

December 18, 2003, 05:00:36 PM
Reply #13

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yup no problem.

Since LB kindly edited my subtitle and said that there's spoilers, you don't need to label your spoilers anymore. Woohoo!

December 23, 2003, 01:24:11 AM
Reply #14

Smoke Nova

• Skulk

• View Profile
They decided to make it a little less boring (the movies compared to the books) and they beefed up Arwen's involvement, which was cool.

Cuz Liv Taylor is hot.  Like, I'd leave the girlfriend for Liv Taylor hot.

In other news: "That still only counts as one"

December 23, 2003, 02:47:43 AM
Reply #15

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
They didn't get married in ROTK but they did in 'The Sillmarillion' I believe, which Jackson did incorporate parts of into the movies. The Silmarillion was about Arwen / Aragorn romance thing going on.

BTW: I'm not sure what the point of labeling this 'spoilers' was. If you've read the books it 'spoils' the movie, but if you haven't read the books, well, what the :Ding hell is wrong with you? :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 02:49:27 AM by Uranium - 235 »

December 23, 2003, 02:59:07 AM
Reply #16

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
Two things that a friend of mine and I have been arguing over since we saw the movie:

What is the name of the race of wraiths, and what is the name of the race of flying drake things they ride in RotK?

What numbers did Legolas get to while counting? I swear I heard him say "34...35...", but my friend says that in that same scene (before he does the stuff on the elephant) he said "90-something...90-something-plus-1...".

December 23, 2003, 03:25:23 AM
Reply #17

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Nazgûl are humans, they're the kings that took the 9 rings given to the them by Sauron.

The flying 'drake' things didn't have names:

"The great shadow descended like a falling cloud. And behold! it was a winged creature: if bird, then greater than all other birds, and it was naked, and neither quill nor feather did it bear, and its vast pinions were as webs of hide between horned fingers; and it stank. A creature of an older world maybe it was, whose kind, lingering in forgotten mountains cold beneath the Moon, outstayed their day, and in hideous eyrie bred this last untimely brood, apt to evil. And the Dark Lord took it, and nursed it with fell meats, until it grew beyond the measure of all things that fly; and he gave it to his servant to be his steed. Down, down it came, and then, folding its fingered webs, it gave a croadking cry, and settled upon the body of Snowmane, digging in its claws, stooping its long naked neck.

Upon it sat a shape, black-mantled, huge and threatening. A crown of steel he bore, but between rim and robe naught was there to see, save only a deadly gleam of eyes: the Lord of the Nazgûl."

BTW: Smoke, they're called 'mûmakil', not 'mammalkill' ;)

Now if you want controversy...

Why didn't Frodo just hitch a ride on an Eagle to begin with, all the way to mordor, toss the ring in, and fly back? They completely pwnt the Luftwaffe of Mordor, Sarumon couldn't stop them, what the hell!

BTW: IMO the ROTK movie was infinately better then the book. I can't say the same about the other two, but I never liked ROTK book... Frankly, Tolkien is the most horrid descriptor or battles ever :D He goes off on these ass-long tangents about which way the flags are blowing...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 03:35:59 AM by Uranium - 235 »

December 24, 2003, 10:41:52 AM
Reply #18

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well one reason Frodo didn't get the eagles' help in the beginning is because the eagles have their own will (but Gandalf has some influence). Also, who's to say that the eagle wouldn't just get shot down by archers; the Eye would probably also notice.

On the Wringwaiths/Nazgûl, I thought their race was mentioned in the books (what nationality of human they were). For some reason I'm leaning to Numenor (sp?). In the movie they did an awesome job on the Lord of the Nazgûl's death.

EDITED for spelling
« Last Edit: December 24, 2003, 10:43:15 AM by Malevolent »

December 24, 2003, 11:08:13 AM
Reply #19

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
On the Wringwaiths/Nazgûl, I thought their race was mentioned in the books (what nationality of human they were). For some reason I'm leaning to Numenor (sp?). In the movie they did an awesome job on the Lord of the Nazgûl's death.
There were 9 kings that were giving the rings, I'd imagine that they came from all over, not just from one part of Middle Earth.