Author Topic: Box Wars  (Read 4685 times)

August 08, 2004, 01:49:11 PM
Reply #20

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
There was this cool HL2 test mod created for HL1 called sniper wars or something.

they were testing all this stuff including a cool map creator on a server.

It was quite bugged. But the cool thing about it was, there was no official type of map. the Devs made it so every map was brand new because the server generated  the map before the rounds started. So you never played on the same map. It was quite cool, actually.... it was very cool.

If boxwars had something like that, it would be fun i suppose.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 01:51:52 PM by Diablus »

August 08, 2004, 09:53:45 PM
Reply #21

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I think it would be cool for any mod to have a randomly generated map each time it's played; no game would be the same as others. And I don't mean the same like "Last time I jumped left and shot at that guy, but this time I jumped right...".

August 09, 2004, 05:26:46 AM
Reply #22

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Avara had a few maps that did something like this. Since all the boxes could be moved around (and you could even use them to crush other players with, assuming you knew which box they were...), the maps quickly stopped looking like themselves after a few moments of fighting, so you couldn't just remember the box positions and shoot the out-of-place one.

August 09, 2004, 06:04:48 AM
Reply #23

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Ah, this reminds me of my time when I played Quake 2 over the net. There were many fun things to do, including making a model and skin of a regular box (which would be downloaded onto their computer automatically). I can still hear it now... "OMFG THE WALL JUST RAILED ME!" Now that made for some very fun games.

But as to this mod, I can see it growing very old, very quickly. I also see why it died, beacause after playing NS for so long, I have memorized just about every inch of the maps, and once you do that in Box wars, its just a matter of shooting the box that doesn't belong. It is too bad that it does not work, because it would have at least been fun for a bit.
[snapback]25434[/snapback]

Actually, there's a way to move stuff around between round that apparently isn't utilized very often, for some reason or another.

http://countermap.counter-strike.net/Tutor...orial.php?id=36

so yeah - with massive entity work it's possible to move every box around.  Of course, people might just be able to memorize each of these variants, but it would be a lot tougher.