Poll

Which Browser Do You Use?

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: If You Use Internet Explorer  (Read 10491 times)

June 28, 2004, 06:46:38 AM
Reply #40

Clashen

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
What happens when you use like 4 browsers at once?
RIAA kills you.
<snip>, your sig image is, or rather was i suppose, 48kb, max size is 22kb. - DHP
<zing>, your mom is, or rather was i suppose, 200kg, max size is 100kg LOL - clashen

June 28, 2004, 09:41:35 PM
Reply #41

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
If I'm going to make the switch, and put up with the things I dont like, there is one thing I need help with. I've set firefox to default and all, everything works correctly except double-clicking links in mIRC still opens them in IE :help:

edit: pictures on my hard drive (gif jpg png) still open in IE too, and when I tried to change the opening program via control panel > folder options > file types to firefox, it didn't work, just sat there and did nothing when I tried to open one :(
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 09:50:09 PM by A Boojum Snark »

June 29, 2004, 09:25:47 AM
Reply #42

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
IE still thinks it's your default browser. When you first opened firefox it should have given you a dialogue box saying 'make firefox your default browser' or something of that sort. Did it not?

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

June 29, 2004, 11:13:19 AM
Reply #43

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
mIRC might still have a glitch when it comes to default browser... open mirc.ini in your mirc directory.. .there should be a line with "browser" on it.. it points to IE no matter what you do

June 29, 2004, 12:29:09 PM
Reply #44

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
So I switch to firefox, right?

OH MY GOD THIS THING IS SLOW, plus most of the things I'm trying to do don't even work. Hell, I right-click -> properties on this 'bookmark bar' and it doesn't do anything. GG.

June 29, 2004, 01:16:09 PM
Reply #45

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
i also switched to mozilla. it loads images slow. i don't like it. but if it is safer, i'll put up with it.

June 29, 2004, 01:47:33 PM
Reply #46

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
i also switched to mozilla. it loads images slow. i don't like it. but if it is safer, i'll put up with it.
The more often you use it the faster it will get.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

June 29, 2004, 01:52:01 PM
Reply #47

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
IE still thinks it's your default browser. When you first opened firefox it should have given you a dialogue box saying 'make firefox your default browser' or something of that sort. Did it not?
Yes it did, and I told it to be default. Everything opens in firefox like it should except those two things I mentioned.

June 29, 2004, 02:10:14 PM
Reply #48

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Mmhmmm no shockwave support either. Oh boy this browser rules because it has.... TABS! (Which I've... yet to use)

June 29, 2004, 11:07:17 PM
Reply #49

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Mmhmmm no shockwave support either. Oh boy this browser rules because it has.... TABS! (Which I've... yet to use)
All you have to do is DL the dealio's, After that shockwave and flash both run fine.

Acctually sometimes the tabs are pretty neat, like if you have a whole ton of thumnails, just open them all at the same time in tabs and kill each tab as you finish veiwing the picture.  Most of the time it is just a slightly more convienient window system though  <_<
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

June 30, 2004, 09:10:13 AM
Reply #50

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
if you have a whole ton of thumnails
(Pr0n)

June 30, 2004, 11:00:33 AM
Reply #51

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Still say it sucks:

Reasons:

1) It often doesn't remember 'page position' when you click links, like IE does, so you have to scroll way the hell down the page again if you go 'back'. This is a MAJOR pain in the ass on forums.

2) You can't 'open' .exe files, you MUST save them somewhere. Big downer here, because I work with a lot of little files like such.

3) No google toolbar. Instead I have to use this ass ^^ :D :p bitch 'plugin' toolbar which is about 60,000x more inefficient, uglier, and no autofill!

4) Mousewheel scroll is 'overridden' by typing in a field, such as this one... have to click out of the field to scroll.

Reasons it DOESN'T suck:

1) ...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 11:01:41 AM by Uranium - 235 »

June 30, 2004, 11:26:34 AM
Reply #52

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
1) It often doesn't remember 'page position' when you click links, like IE does, so you have to scroll way the hell down the page again if you go 'back'. This is a MAJOR pain in the ass on forums.

2) You can't 'open' .exe files, you MUST save them somewhere. Big downer here, because I work with a lot of little files like such.

3) No google toolbar. Instead I have to use this ass ^^ :D :p bitch 'plugin' toolbar which is about 60,000x more inefficient, uglier, and no autofill!

4) Mousewheel scroll is 'overridden' by typing in a field, such as this one... have to click out of the field to scroll.

Reasons it DOESN'T suck:

1) ...
1) does for me

2) i don't know wth you wouldn't want to save the .exe file, but, ok.

3) i have a google toolbar, and i have it integrated with other searches (i can search imdb, dictionary.com, and a bevy of others) and it autofills.

4) wth are you doing typing and mouse scrolling at the same time, you some sort of weird mutant octupus sea monkey or something?

Reasons it doesn't suck:

1) no haxing it.

2) automagically pops popups.

3) i have a plugin installed where i can shut off anything i want on a page, CSS, images,  etc.

4) i can break up frames if i want to (can you do this in IE? i can't remember).

5) it doesn't create that awesome IE thread hanging bug, where ie keeps some weird ass process running that you have to go to task manager to kill.

6) tabbed browsing.

7) i can actually go to my favorites, and it's a damn HTML file, compatible to other systems and ^^e like that.

8) the coders are still goddamn supporting it.

9) it's not bloatware.

10) i can get skins for it that don't rape my system with spyware up the digital rectum.

11) i can download a file off multiple sites, and firefox will actually combine the bandwidth of all the sites.

12) my google bar can be added (i can add a ton of different sites i'd want to search).

13) it's shares it's name with one of the bestest jet movies (with clint farking eastwood for dang's sake)  EVAR! of course.. that's prolly just nostalgia setting it.

14) if i was so inclined, i could code plugins for it without going through the Byzantine structure of "Undocumented Hooks" taht MS is so famous for.

15) as long as i'm not a executing-.exes-in-my-browser-weird-mutant-octupus-sea-monkey-using-mouse
-and-keyboard-to-surf-intarweb-using-grumpy-as-a-rio-janeiro-transvestite
-with-my-braw-on-backwards-puter-person-it's good enough for me. :p
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

June 30, 2004, 11:37:49 AM
Reply #53

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Google tool bar:

http://googlebar.mozdev.org/

And don't use firefox, be a real man and just use mozilla.

June 30, 2004, 11:48:47 AM
Reply #54

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Oh boy, found a new fun bug - It keeps telling me to update to 0.9.1... and... I'm RUNNING 0.9.1...

July 01, 2004, 07:19:06 AM
Reply #55

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The many pages that screw up. Firefox goes out of its way to tell us that it's not THEM there's something wrong with, it's the page designers that use html code wrong. The end result, though, is that it works in IE, but not in Firefox.

Reminds me of what the danish weather forecast once jokingly said: "Our forecasts are always right, it's the weather that's wrong!"

Still have to use it. After that spyware ordeal, I have to choose a safe product over a working product. Why can't I have both?

Update: Also, Firefox 0.9 seems to crash the UBB Admin Control Panel. Or maybe it's the other way around. Looks I'll have to downgrade, yay!

Conclusion: Dual browser usage until Firefox becomes stable. Which means that I'll still have to use IE. Which means that my security is still compromised. Sadly, this means that the gains from using Firefox are only PARTIALLY improved security. My computer is still vulnerable, just less so than it was before.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 09:34:26 AM by lolfighter »

July 02, 2004, 01:52:29 PM
Reply #56

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
Yeah, Duel browsing for teh w1n!

I once in a while stumble upon a webpage that firefox can't view, that's when I start up IE.

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

July 02, 2004, 02:19:05 PM
Reply #57

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
How many times do I have to say use mozilla instead of firefox?

July 02, 2004, 03:25:48 PM
Reply #58

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
How many times do I have to say use mozilla instead of firefox?
more times than you have so far, apparently :p
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

July 02, 2004, 04:31:18 PM
Reply #59

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Mozilla is based off of netscape browser, and I hated that thing.