Author Topic: Half-life 2 Delayed Until Apocalypse?  (Read 9457 times)

June 13, 2004, 11:12:06 PM
Reply #20

Mouse

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • Danger Mouse
How is this dissapointing? Were you expecting HL2 to be released tomorrow?
well, theyve had allmost 6 years now, and it was supposed to be released about a year ago....soooooooooooooooooo
what's a few months more? Now that it's out of the hands of Valve and into Vivendi's maybe the dates could acutally mean something? Does anyone have an offical statement from Vivendi?

June 14, 2004, 11:42:23 AM
Reply #21

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Aww, I wanted to play it over the late summer. It does make you wonder about why they would wait to release it since it's ready.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

June 19, 2004, 09:35:34 PM
Reply #22

Puddy1

• Legacy Reserved
  • Lerker

• View Profile
http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=24085
HomeLAN - Finally, we have to ask; how is Half-Life 2 coming along?

Gabe Newell - Good. It's in great shape. We anticipate delivering it to Vivendi in August.

Well,well, now isn't that good?  Hopefully Gabe is right this time.

July 04, 2004, 11:54:55 AM
Reply #23

Quaunaut

• Skulk

• View Profile
Man, I wish people'd get off their damned high-horse about HL2 being delayed. 90% of you people don't even know that HL1 was delayed even longer. Your not making the game, so quiet.

July 04, 2004, 06:49:05 PM
Reply #24

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
Bumping old threads to harass people, eh? I see...

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

July 05, 2004, 08:09:03 AM
Reply #25

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Maersk Shipping offers door-to-door service around the world. You ask them to pick up your goods in a standard container, they'll send a truck by your place to pick 'em up. Because of the tight schedules their container ships run on, they'll also give you an ETA. If your goods are not delivered on that day, they shave a percentage off the price as compensation. If it's late by several days, that percentage goes as high as 100%.

Somehow I doubt that HL2 will get any cheaper because of the delays. Think about it: The more the game gets delayed, the less up-to-date will it be. Would you pay 40$ for HL1 today? No. Because it's outdated. HL2 will be a year late if it ships in the fall. It's already out-of-date by a year. Most games sell at half price or less a year after they're released. HL2, I guarantee you, won't. No matter how long we have to wait, they'll still expect us to pay full price on delivery. They made big cash off HL. If they can't complete their second game in five years, it's time to fork over some of that cash and hire more staff.

July 05, 2004, 08:51:38 AM
Reply #26

Quaunaut

• Skulk

• View Profile
Maersk Shipping offers door-to-door service around the world. You ask them to pick up your goods in a standard container, they'll send a truck by your place to pick 'em up. Because of the tight schedules their container ships run on, they'll also give you an ETA. If your goods are not delivered on that day, they shave a percentage off the price as compensation. If it's late by several days, that percentage goes as high as 100%.

Somehow I doubt that HL2 will get any cheaper because of the delays. Think about it: The more the game gets delayed, the less up-to-date will it be. Would you pay 40$ for HL1 today? No. Because it's outdated. HL2 will be a year late if it ships in the fall. It's already out-of-date by a year. Most games sell at half price or less a year after they're released. HL2, I guarantee you, won't. No matter how long we have to wait, they'll still expect us to pay full price on delivery. They made big cash off HL. If they can't complete their second game in five years, it's time to fork over some of that cash and hire more staff.
I wouldn't say that lolfighter. While I may not pay $40 for HL1, I sure as hell'd pay $150 for NS. Sure, its only a year and a half old, but its on a 12 year old engine, with a 7 or 8 year old rendering system, off of a 6 year old game.

Some things just don't get "old".

July 05, 2004, 10:23:46 AM
Reply #27

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
Some things just don't get "old".
and SOME THINGS DO EH!?!? IS THAT WHAT YOU WERE GOING TO SAY!?! EH!?!?!?!
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

July 05, 2004, 11:09:43 AM
Reply #28

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Of course not grampa! Now let's not bother the nice man. Come back to your rocking chair and I'll get your blanket to keep the chill off, and then you can watch Matlock. The memory loss means that every episode is new again!

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

July 05, 2004, 12:42:23 PM
Reply #29

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
The memory loss means that every episode is new again!
Ah, the ol' goldfish bowl syndrome. A goldfish swims in circles in a fishbowl because it has such a short memory that each circuit is a new experience.

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

July 05, 2004, 05:53:50 PM
Reply #30

Quaunaut

• Skulk

• View Profile
Ah, the ol' goldfish bowl syndrome. A goldfish swims in circles in a fishbowl because it has such a short memory that each circuit is a new experience.
Actually, their memory span is 3 minutes- so you better be in a damned pool.(damn Jeopardy).

AND THATS RIGHT GRAMPS! OH YEAH! EAT IT, YA 99999999999 YEAR OLD OWL!

July 05, 2004, 06:37:13 PM
Reply #31

@gentOrange

• Fade

• View Profile
Actually, their memory span is 3 minutes- so you better be in a damned pool.(damn Jeopardy).

AND THATS RIGHT GRAMPS! OH YEAH! EAT IT, YA 99999999999 YEAR OLD OWL!
Actually it's been proven that goldfish can be trained to run a maze using repetition with a reward of food and training once a day.
Sig size too big, 22kb is the max size, yours is 28kb - DHP

July 05, 2004, 10:28:47 PM
Reply #32

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
Actually it's been proven that goldfish can be trained to run a maze using repetition with a reward of food and training once a day.
I know I know. It's just a Myth

*coughMYTHBUSTERScough*

>:D

July 07, 2004, 05:45:07 AM
Reply #33

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Strange. I could swear goldfish have nothing to do with HL2 delays. Oh well:
An octopus is actually fairly intelligent. With bait at the end, an octopus can find its way through a labyrinth without training. They'll even get out of the water (very briefly) to climb over an obstruction. Or give 'em a crab in a jar: They'll learn how to unscrew the lid. They are comparable to rats in intelligence. Now before you snigger, let me point out that rats are fairly intelligent, social animals. And octopi don't even have bones.

July 07, 2004, 12:46:16 PM
Reply #34

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
so are you compairing archi's cousin to a common lab animal?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 12:46:52 PM by Satiagraha »

July 08, 2004, 09:10:34 PM
Reply #35

johnjacobjingle

• Gorge

• View Profile
mmmm...apocolypse...

perhaps i should stop waiting and blow up the world so that i can play HL2 then?

aka "mary"  thanks to Mr. Bill.
aka "let me stab your face"  if i'm feeling like starting a knife brigade or 3
"Drop Bill at JHunz. Build Bill, research relocation upgrade. WIN!" -necrosis...wow

July 19, 2004, 05:58:21 PM
Reply #36

Guspaz

• Reserved Slot
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://teknews.net
Oh, sod off, all of you. You bloody well know you're going to have DooM 3 to keep you busy until Half-Life 2's release.

July 20, 2004, 01:41:19 AM
Reply #37

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
Way to dig up a dead thread there, Guspaz. Although you do have a point, Doom 3 should hold us in our wait for Half Life 2 (I estimate about 3 days, depending on how long it takes some of us to beat the game).

July 20, 2004, 08:56:08 AM
Reply #38

johnjacobjingle

• Gorge

• View Profile
guzpaz, i have no plans to buy doom 3, mostly because i havea suspicion that it won't hold my interest for more than a couple of days, however, i have enough friends who will for sure buy the game that if my suspicions are wrong(and i find this out by playing their games) then i'll jhust buy it then.   i'm feeling very cynical about these games taht are to be coming out, hell even hl2 i'm feeling a little iffy about getting excited about :-/, mostly because of the whole it being a year old thing.  *shrugs*.  i guess i just got nofaith?  but not expecting much and being pleasantly surprised is better than expecting the world and being disappointed.

aka "mary"  thanks to Mr. Bill.
aka "let me stab your face"  if i'm feeling like starting a knife brigade or 3
"Drop Bill at JHunz. Build Bill, research relocation upgrade. WIN!" -necrosis...wow

July 20, 2004, 10:28:45 AM
Reply #39

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
Half Life 2 could have one of the worst single-player stories ever (which I very highly doubt it will), but I'd still play it because I'm a major online gaming freak. Hell, I still haven't finish the original Half Life single player. Although I know how it ends anyway since LB liked to switch maps on the Sven server to the final boss battle, among other things. The only games that I play that are offline are the 2 Grand Theft Auto titles. I have Morrowind, but I never could get into it very much.