Author Topic: What About The Marines?  (Read 4803 times)

June 28, 2004, 01:09:25 PM
Reply #20

SuicidaL MonkeY

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
-I found that when im runnin over our rt's to check them i usually find skulkz or fades biting/slashin...and the comm doesnt catch that all the time...

-If a waypoint has a bunch of oc's set up around it dont run in all by yourself....call your comm....i'm still learning that.... :p

-Work with your team

-Build structures as soon as their dropped....unless it's a res tower situation..

-Move to your waypoint soldier

....oh and one more thing...if another marines head is in your line of sight and a skulks coming at you both...dont shoot unless the marines head turns into an aliens head flying right at you..... :D

July 07, 2004, 08:38:18 PM
Reply #21

johnjacobjingle

• Gorge

• View Profile
i think,. of all things a marine can be, it is NOT to give the comm orders.  as soon as a marines starts telling the comm what to do, i think the two people need to change places, a marine has no place telling the comm what to do, period end of sentence.  everything else, i believe, has been covered here.

as a (fairly) regular comm, i've found that the thing that really irks me about my marines is when they try to tell me how to run my strat.  "elec this node comm"  or "comm, phase here so we can secure it"  etc.  of all the things...that just irks me and i just wanna comm-slap them.

....grrr...

aka "mary"  thanks to Mr. Bill.
aka "let me stab your face"  if i'm feeling like starting a knife brigade or 3
"Drop Bill at JHunz. Build Bill, research relocation upgrade. WIN!" -necrosis...wow

July 08, 2004, 02:28:53 AM
Reply #22

Avs

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
On contrary to that. Ive found that a great marine player will verbally converse with the commander, support or contest the strategy, but ultimately strive to help the team win. So in the case if a comm is making a mistake, he will correct the comm. In any situation he will suggest what to do first, as he is in the best situation to do so. For example, the minimap basically shows everything that the commander can see. However, the commander always has to keep an eye on the main viewing area of the map, not the smaller minimap in his left bottom corner. The marine on the otherhand always has time to check his minimap, and whats better, is that he is there in person, so he knows (given hes already a good player, ie good shot, and good players kills in communication, hear, good common sense, etc) what should be done. Ive seen a lot of commanders drop resource towers without asking if its safe, and then having to watch a skulk kill the marine, and losing the tower.

The marine alone knows whether he can complete an objective or not. So I rather have my marines (when I comm), not only follow orders, but tell me whats going on around the map. I could go on and on about how a marine should play NS, (I wrote a 21 page faq on what 1 marine should know and how he should play), but you probably get my point.

Sometimes you need to prod the marines a little, ask them a little more, goad them to not get ammo, but patience is key, and it build relationship between marines and you as a comm.
Avs

July 08, 2004, 08:28:18 AM
Reply #23

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
i think,. of all things a marine can be, it is NOT to give the comm orders.  as soon as a marines starts telling the comm what to do, i think the two people need to change places, a marine has no place telling the comm what to do, period end of sentence.  everything else, i believe, has been covered here.

as a (fairly) regular comm, i've found that the thing that really irks me about my marines is when they try to tell me how to run my strat.  "elec this node comm"  or "comm, phase here so we can secure it"  etc.  of all the things...that just irks me and i just wanna comm-slap them.

....grrr...
yes, i agree with this, when i comm, i more or less command like a TYRANT!! YARRR!!!

not to say i don't take suggestions, as avs said, i think it's important to have a good rapport between the two. but not dictating everything that needs to get done from the ground. it's a fine line. i think suggestions, or asking, is the key, rather than telling the comm. it irks me to no end. i have a weak, pathetic ego like that. :p :p
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

July 08, 2004, 09:36:31 AM
Reply #24

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
A marine can help a comm greatly by having his minimap out. With the 'under attack' messages rarely playing at the right times, an attentive marine can tell the comm that there's something in base LONG before the comm ever gets a message about it. Remember there's a pretty wide radius around the obs that always provides MT on the minimap. If you see a red dot in base, yell.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

July 08, 2004, 09:18:47 PM
Reply #25

johnjacobjingle

• Gorge

• View Profile
yes yes yes bob!  i can't think of how many times i've been yelled at cuz i didn't notice the base went down while i was busy watching a hive get sieged or soemthing.  *sigh*  if only i'd had marines who know what their minimap was for *grins*

aka "mary"  thanks to Mr. Bill.
aka "let me stab your face"  if i'm feeling like starting a knife brigade or 3
"Drop Bill at JHunz. Build Bill, research relocation upgrade. WIN!" -necrosis...wow

July 09, 2004, 02:27:07 PM
Reply #26

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
most times Ill try to work with comm, but every second word out of me is "elec" for some reason, (god I love elec strats) anyway if you hear me sying that a lot, ignore it most times because I'll say it in most situations...

"Comm! they have a fade! drop two tf's around that rt and elec all 3! then they'll pay!" i usualy stop when teh comm says no or move on, unless the comm says nothign at all, and that's just a general worry point in all games for a marine :)

and also, most times If i see an attack is not going well, I'll try to ninja around the main assault so while all the aliens are busy in the front BAM pg in the back where no one sees it... works well most times.

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win