Author Topic: Ns_hydrosity!  (Read 9964 times)

December 08, 2003, 01:55:38 AM
Read 9964 times

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
ns_hydrosity is now in the mapcycle, grab it here:

ftp://69.93.5.186:1337/ns_hydrosity.zip

PS_Mouse has requested feedback, so please post it here!

Timelimit is 45 mins for this map. If you want, just download it from the server, takes about 15 minutes! Admins have permission to switch to this map at any time. ^^

Let's have fun, and let me know how this works out (server empties too quick, etc).

Link Won't work?[/b]
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 11:22:12 AM by Lightning Blue »
To the stars!

insert witty line here

December 08, 2003, 08:09:41 AM
Reply #1

DruBo

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• Personal Text
    Back in Beige
    • View Profile
It's big and pretty.

Old versions, I remember, made the double node room just a little too easy to defend. That still in? I haven't played a game on it so I can't be sure.

December 08, 2003, 09:17:06 AM
Reply #2

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
IIRC, incredibly detailed, really really well done. excellent map. so much work put into each room.

cant wait :)

altho the potential server emptying would be a bugger.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

December 08, 2003, 10:15:09 AM
Reply #3

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Hmmm is this the map with the rotating elevator, and the water particles that brought my computer to it's knees?

December 08, 2003, 10:20:46 AM
Reply #4

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
i don't remember a rotating elevator...

December 08, 2003, 12:04:00 PM
Reply #5

CommunistWithAGun

• Skulk

• View Profile
Its a good map, and its VERY big, which I like, but there are some issues. One is that its VERY pro marine.  Granted there are lots of nice vents and stuff but for the most part its very open.  Its also very confusing for a first timer which may turn them off but I think over all with the issues said aside its a great map.
Got himself banned.

December 08, 2003, 12:07:39 PM
Reply #6

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
the server auctaly got more people when we switched to the map hehe, Its kinda Marine sided, they can quickly goto each RT and cap it, BUT there are vent systems leading to almost all the RTs I have found, so if you learn them, you can kill the RTs really fast or put them down fast.. Defending your RTs is a must becuase of the layout of the map. Once Marines get jetpacks its over if your hive doesn't have the right OC placement I have found. THe last game we just played, The hive was the one with the two really really long hallways, I flew behind one of the barrels and just shot my grenade launcher while commie gave me ammo, It was very easy to do. I can't comment on how well Onos runs on the map, But as I was chasing Arch down for the 3rd time, I never saw him get stuck :p. The graphics and feeling you get while playing it is insane, Its a VERY fun map, even if it does have its problems.

December 08, 2003, 12:11:30 PM
Reply #7

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
pretty darn good map, many issues with it though regarding alien downsides to it:

1. the map is too streched out, aliens cant keep a hold on thier resource towers because by the time they hear the call to save it its dead by the time they get io it. so alot of times aliens are res starving. (this is good for marines because all they need is a phase to anywhere on the large map)
2. definetly NOT onos friendly. onos can decide the outcome of ames. currently a hive 3 onos can easily be killed by 1 marine jet packer, and i assume there is many places u can get stuck.

well thats pretty much it, theres also a weldable door right next to a resource node which leads into a alien hive infested cave small area which leads into a hive, the aliens get blocked by an "invisible" wall it seems and does get confusing and aggrivating. in 3.0 aliens wouldnt survive this map with a win unless the team of marines are a bunch of NS players :p

December 08, 2003, 12:47:59 PM
Reply #8

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
When you first play it you're just amazed at how large and nicely modeled it looks.

One thing that was surprising is that both times I played on it, the marines won. So it does seem marine sided, despite the fact there are vents everywhere. Since hallways are long and some rather large, marines have an advantage of being able to attack from a fairly long range. Also, it seems the ms is pretty easy to defend, since there are two main entrances: the door, the tunnel under the cc. The only other entrance is by pipes which are jumbled together and are somewhat hard to get over as an alien (esp. an onos).

I think it needs some refining, since some of the vents are confusing, and it's harder for aliens to defend places early on (and we never actually got far enough when the aliens could). Once everyone gets a little more used to it, I think it will go somewhat more smoothly.

EDIT: For making sense.

Edit: one = won :p

EDIT: You edited my post... :o. Being all sneaky and  :ph34r:-like.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 04:26:04 AM by Malevolent »
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 08, 2003, 07:17:55 PM
Reply #9

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
Alright, you get stuck sometimes when you get out of the comm chair, the weldable on the MS door didn't seem to work, will post more as I play it more!  ^^
To the stars!

insert witty line here

December 08, 2003, 09:18:07 PM
Reply #10

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
Of course now I discovery that I coulda downloaded it in the forums.

Had to wait like 15 mins to get everything.

December 09, 2003, 11:42:38 AM
Reply #11

Satanic Monkey

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.thecatacombs.net
:help: It was my first time playing this map, and all I got to say is WOW great map. I got lost a couple of times but i had to hold down my map key so i wo't get lost, it also was my first time dying by a knife as a onos, damn you squirrel damn you :p
Don't mess with me punk, I'll post in your

December 09, 2003, 04:37:27 PM
Reply #12

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I actually played most of this map without using the minimap. I can get used to a new map and find any good hiding places or WoL places, etc, by actually seeing where I am and what details are around me.

December 10, 2003, 05:11:36 AM
Reply #13

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Fades are almost a must here since they can quickly go where they're needed. Onos are not as useless as some of you say, but they have to take care: Be in the wrong place at the wrong time and you could get killed with little or no chance to get away alive. An Onos has to stay to the cramped parts of the map. Long corridors and rooms with high ceilings can be a nightmare. Two of the hives are a problem in this respect: The ones that are not water storage (don't remember their names, overflow is one I think).
Yes, aliens can have a hard time holding their nodes on this map. In the four games I've played I've seen a 50-50 share of wins, but I suspect the marines were lazy (or just confused by the huge map and labyrinthine layout). It's key to learn the vent system. If you don't use the vents, you have to make long detours all the time. A skulk crawling through the vents can take the direct route almost no matter where he's going.

In conclusion, it's too early to say which side really dominates this map. Everyone needs a little more experience with it first, aliens and marines (and especially comms) alike.

December 10, 2003, 10:25:19 AM
Reply #14

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
also, the elevators seem to lag... I'm not sure why, but they seem really laggy as appose to other maps.

December 10, 2003, 01:38:39 PM
Reply #15

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
also, the elevators seem to lag... I'm not sure why, but they seem really laggy as appose to other maps.
Yeah it lags up for me too. Makes it much harder for me.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 11, 2003, 05:40:23 PM
Reply #16

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
ive played about 4-5 games, each and every game it ended up the same: Marine wins. well i know 1 major flaw why marines are always winning. its because of the nodes, since the maps too big ramboing marines can place a node, commander elects it and the rambo goes off killing an alien node which cant be saved because the aliens are too far away most of the time. its also JP friendly.. alittle too much. marines are even wining games that theyre not even taking seriously meanwhile aliens are actually trying. i really do think this map needs to be re configured because as of now marines are winning not by luck or a close call, the games are ending up skulks and gorges vs HA AND jp along with complete medspam in the hives because marines end up with over 500 resources to use when its time to take the last hive. i think aliens are losing because the map is just too big and the nodes are placed too far and with electrify at hand skulks move along and forget about that node. Theres also no time to go onos by the time marines already have weap and armor lvl 3 WITH jp AND ha and advanced weapons.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 05:42:19 PM by Diablus »

December 11, 2003, 10:17:15 PM
Reply #17

PS_Mouse

• Legacy Reserved
  • Lerker

• View Profile
I find this quite interesting. On another server that runs hydrosity (which I play on) I rarely see a marine win.

Very interesting indeed...

December 12, 2003, 12:21:26 AM
Reply #18

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
maybe we have good marines? lol

December 12, 2003, 07:02:35 AM
Reply #19

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Actually, I think we do. Although aliens still win most matches, I see a better balance here than on most other servers. I'd chalk it up to a broad selection of decent commanders.