Author Topic: Marine vs Alien wins  (Read 6451 times)

March 07, 2005, 11:05:51 AM
Read 6451 times

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
Click here!

Comments?

Aliens seem to be owning again...
To the stars!

insert witty line here

March 07, 2005, 11:07:17 AM
Reply #1

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
Last time it was the same thing, the real problem with this is we dont know the size of the teams, if we did that'd be nice.

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

March 07, 2005, 11:18:33 AM
Reply #2

SheenaYanai

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.tokyo-marui.co.jp/index2.html
i would say lets wait till the marines adapting their tactic to the new alien features ..i think its to early to judge about the balance

March 07, 2005, 11:29:56 AM
Reply #3

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
i would say lets wait till the marines adapting their tactic to the new alien features ..i think its to early to judge about the balance
[snapback]42675[/snapback]

agreed, it'll be a while though. once people start actually trying on marines..

March 07, 2005, 11:53:28 AM
Reply #4

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
I've won three on LM as comm, and I could have easily had won more if teammates would listen...

The days of laxidaisical marines are over. Either start paying attention, going to waypoints, using your senses, or go aliens and plague them with your stupidity...

That sums it up nicely for me  v_v
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

March 07, 2005, 11:56:40 AM
Reply #5

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
interesting also is that marines seem to be winning CO.

March 07, 2005, 12:25:24 PM
Reply #6

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
I've won three on LM as comm, and I could have easily had won more if teammates would listen...

The days of laxidaisical marines are over. Either start paying attention, going to waypoints, using your senses, or go aliens and plague them with your stupidity...

That sums it up nicely for me  v_v
[snapback]42680[/snapback]

Yep.  Alien agression is at an all time high with the free upgrades.  For now at least, aliens are aggresively placing RTs, attacking rts and responding quickly.  It must be the same for rines.  You cannot play the, OMG I have LEET HAXOR SHOOTING and stand outside the alien hive with two rines and expect to win the game.  Complete agressive play is necassary, which means my comming style is out....  :(

March 07, 2005, 01:47:16 PM
Reply #7

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Aliens always win usually when a new version comes out (well a substantial version).
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

March 07, 2005, 02:09:30 PM
Reply #8

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I just hope that this is in fact a problem that will be solved by time and not a problem inherent to this version and only solved by an extremely organized and skilled Marine team.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 02:10:00 PM by 2_of_8 »
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

March 07, 2005, 02:34:39 PM
Reply #9

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Aliens always end up owning on new releases im the beginning, then after a few weeks the wins start to decline as new marine tactics and adaptation improves.
I also started to notice a decline in Marine teamwork on the times I've played Marine... Marines are letting Aliens get 3 hives up quickly which is a reason why they're getting owned beyond belief in some games. In a few weeks or even less Marine wins will start to climb their way up on the scoreboards.

Another reason is that In ALL of the builds before this one it was 99.9 percent of the time Upgraded Marines Vs Vanilla skulks. Now that its Upgraded Marines vs Upgraded skulks Marines are at a challenge which is great. Marines need to adapt to the fact that they're fighting upgraded skulks who will be faster, quicker, cloaked, or can take a few more bullets. Once the marines adapt to that the games *Should* be even then. I think they finally hit the nail on its head on what was causing the major unbalance (level 1-3 armor and weaponed Marines vs vanilla Skulks)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 02:39:48 PM by Diablus »

March 07, 2005, 03:58:56 PM
Reply #10

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Aliens always had to be aggressive, this just makes it easier.

The real point where the current build fails is that imho far too much pressure is put on the comm. Even if he DOES get all his waypoints and tech right, he still *needs* a good marine team.

The days of a good comm saving a crappy team or a good team saving a crappy comm are long gone. At the moment I haven't decided if thats a good or bad thing.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

March 07, 2005, 04:32:12 PM
Reply #11

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
The days of a good comm saving a crappy team or a good team saving a crappy comm are long gone. At the moment I haven't decided if thats a good or bad thing.
[snapback]42700[/snapback]

I'd say it's a pretty bad thing; a completely good team is needed to win. While aliens? They can have 1 amazing fade, or 1 amazing lerk, and win the whole game.
I don't know, though, how you can easily take pressure off the comm...
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

March 07, 2005, 05:03:07 PM
Reply #12

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
It's interesting that in a few small tweaks the devs have, imho, at least so far
-brought back epic games
-removed the one marine killling machine of dewm
-forced marines to once again stick together and cover and be scared! of leaving base alone.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

March 07, 2005, 08:19:05 PM
Reply #13

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well, all the games I played to day the aliens won except for one. It seemed like the marines almost completely dominated that game. The game after the marines put up a pretty good fight. So it definitley is seeming like it is just everyone getting used to the new style of play.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

March 08, 2005, 06:53:01 AM
Reply #14

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
We lost one alien game last night, dropped SC first and didn't protect the second hive. Thats where we failed.

Game dragged on for a good long while after that - marines teched up, still tried to siege the hive, and ended up finally walking in to finish it.

Pretty poor, if you ask me. I think the problem lies with marines still living in the last beta, where sieges were king. If you use a siege strat now, then you need to pray that the aliens slip up somewhere.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

March 08, 2005, 10:28:01 AM
Reply #15

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I think there needs to be MUCH more focus on putting pressure on hive 2 while it goes up if the aliens happened to go SC or DC (but no one goes DC first on LM anyway).  I see a large pattern of once the aliens get MC, it's over.
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

March 08, 2005, 10:39:35 AM
Reply #16

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
True. If aliens have MC, and with the new spawn system, Marines have almost no chance of taking a hive down, since they'll be constantly pressured by the Aliens.
DCs first - I haven't seen that maybe once in the last week. DC has been moved to 2nd hive all the time now. The two most popular chamber orders now are:
S -> D -> M
M -> D -> S
I haven't seen either
D -> M -> S or
S -> M -> D
much; the first one is too damn overused and repetitive, while the last one makes for a very hard game for the aliens, unless they are very organized.

March 08, 2005, 10:48:01 AM
Reply #17

CryForMe

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
out of all the games ive seen so far, when the aliens have a coherent strategy, its a walk in the park for them. the big kicker is that if a rine is in SC range, he appears on SOF. a major strat shift that i've seen is for aliens to a.) drop sc first and b.) place sc's strategically instead of just dropping 3 in the first hive (i.e. drop a SC near common ninja spots in all 3 hives right off the bat so you can see if rines are trying to get the drop on a hive). i think all its gonna take is a higher degree of teamwork and maybe a little adaptive strategy on the part of comms to get the wins back up.
"What do I do first when I comm?"-NSPlayer(2)
"You need to build an RTFM interface."-CFM

March 08, 2005, 01:18:55 PM
Reply #18

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
Most of my thoughts are in the thoughts on 3.0 thread.  Jist is, marines must have perfect game or BIG alien screwup to win, while alines just need to not have a two hive lockdown and two rts (ie.  chambers in a timely manner.)  Not too much else.  I am sooo disillusioned.  Not please with this beta at all.  I fervently hope that the games get better with time, but I don't think it will.  At least not nearly to a point of balance.

March 08, 2005, 02:13:03 PM
Reply #19

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I fervently hope that people won't judge this version before they've played it for a while. It's been tested and was supposed to be great, so let's give it a chance before we mark it as "sux."