Author Topic: So What's Ipb?  (Read 2455 times)

October 17, 2004, 10:10:06 PM
Read 2455 times

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
    • http://
Is Invision Power Board retail software that you buy and install? or is it webspace with a forum? or is it a free php system, or what? :blink:

Does ellbee pay for IPB's services? is it a one-time fee? monthly? yearly?

et cetera et cetera.

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

October 17, 2004, 10:50:52 PM
Reply #1

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
they have a freeware version of the forums and then you can pay and get the subcription service. I don't know more of the details though, but I believe it is an independent team that is working on it.
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

October 17, 2004, 10:54:20 PM
Reply #2

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
As far as I understand it is free to use forum software, but it displays its own ads at the top of each window. If you pay for it, the ads are stripped off. I don't think they provide webspace, but they may do that as a seperate deal.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

October 18, 2004, 10:14:28 AM
Reply #3

JHunz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
Invision Power Board is the forum software.  It is free to use, but you can only get support, rid yourself of branding, and a couple other things by purchasing a registered version.  We have not done this because we have had no need to.

Invision Free is their EZBoard competitor.  You get a free IPB board hosted on their servers.  Their servers also suck.
"We have plenty of youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

October 18, 2004, 11:27:49 AM
Reply #4

zerwalter

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
IPB is forum software that used to be freeware. You used to be able to get version 1 and the 2 betas for free but recently, it was taken down and switched over to pay-only. Boo! But those of us who already have it installed are still using it and we still have the installers :D

If someone wants it that doesn't have the installers and can't find it, you can ask me and I will upload them somewhere.

The forum uses PHP and mySQL server side to generate what we see and store what we put in. This is one of the more robust, feature-rich forums out there. If you'd like something else, I suggest phpBB. It isn't as stable but it does have a large amount of features and is open source so its always getting new stuff.

October 18, 2004, 01:12:18 PM
Reply #5

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
LAMP FTW

Linux
Apache
MySQL
PHP
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.

October 18, 2004, 02:14:24 PM
Reply #6

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
apache by hand is a pain in the arse, plesk or cpannel ftw (or win2k3, iis, mysql and php which works too)

October 18, 2004, 02:52:11 PM
Reply #7

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
but if your leet enough you can pull it off no sweat, and all of those are FREEEEEEEEEEEE

October 18, 2004, 04:04:06 PM
Reply #8

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
apache by hand is a pain in the arse, plesk or cpannel ftw (or win2k3, iis, mysql and php which works too)
[snapback]31512[/snapback]
Really? I can set apache, php, mysql and phpmyadmin up in under an hour :)
Apache's config file is pretty simple :)

October 19, 2004, 08:18:58 AM
Reply #9

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
yes, but doing it by hand is annoying

it can be set up and running pretty easily, but getting everything working with nothing more than a text editor is a pain (especially if you can't type)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 08:20:11 AM by Black Mage »

October 19, 2004, 10:22:35 AM
Reply #10

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
yes, but doing it by hand is annoying

it can be set up and running pretty easily, but getting everything working with nothing more than a text editor is a pain (especially if you can't type)
[snapback]31586[/snapback]

thou doesn't have to like it, thou just has to do it  :)