Author Topic: More Is Better  (Read 4425 times)

July 25, 2004, 01:08:51 PM
Reply #20

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
To say this...

I play marines, a lot.. Im almost always marines, I play when theres  good team and when theres a bad team... do you people know how often theres a good team on marines? and I'm not saying just 2 people and lochness.. 1 player can change the tide of the game if your an alien, but rines need teamwork and I dont care wht you see I see too often ona regular game that marines die, sure you might say "but you just had a bad team". I dont know about you guys, but the only /GOOD marines team is a stacked one...

thats all I have to say

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

July 25, 2004, 04:22:49 PM
Reply #21

Seth

• Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://go.to/simclarke
OMG BILL I COULDNT AGREE MORE!!!!! THATS WHAT I"VE BEEN SAYING!!!!!

oh ps. this game has no balence whatsoever! unless its marine vs marine or alien vs alien...

i wonder how'd that work having 2 comms on the same battlefeild, you could have like commander chess match's in the CC with the other comm

you'd have to remove med spam or have like a 5 second delay between when a rine can pick up a new med, just think about it, you'd have one marine just bathing in med's and spitting hmg bullets.
i'd be for removing med drops and just make them use armory.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 04:27:16 PM by Seth »
Through the mudd and the blood to the green fields beyond, for ours is not to question why our is but to do or die.

And when we die and die we shall to saint peter we shall tell, just another soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell.

July 25, 2004, 04:25:32 PM
Reply #22

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
So you're saying that a good marine team is a team of marines comprised of skilled players? Isn't that a bit bloody obvious? Of course a stacked team is going to be good. That's what a stacked team means... a team with good players on it. Isn't a stacked alien team going to be good as well?

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

July 25, 2004, 04:29:57 PM
Reply #23

Seth

• Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://go.to/simclarke
what he means bob, and i could be wrong, is you dont ever see the long 2 hour games in NS anymore.

one team is always vastly overpowering the other, it just makes for lame game play and makes people F4 or disconnect

v1.04 was the most balenced of them all
Through the mudd and the blood to the green fields beyond, for ours is not to question why our is but to do or die.

And when we die and die we shall to saint peter we shall tell, just another soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell.

July 25, 2004, 04:49:21 PM
Reply #24

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
seth for the win.

and yeah your right seth, either stacked team on rines, or aliens just reallly arnt trying.

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

July 25, 2004, 06:34:27 PM
Reply #25

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
what he means bob, and i could be wrong, is you dont ever see the long 2 hour games in NS anymore.[...]
oh how wrong you are sir, just a few nights ago i played a 2 hour and 15 minute game :ph34r:
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

July 25, 2004, 06:48:22 PM
Reply #26

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
what he means bob, and i could be wrong, is you dont ever see the long 2 hour games in NS anymore.[...]
oh how wrong you are sir, just a few nights ago i played a 2 hour and 15 minute game :ph34r:
I love those, and hate those...  Oh well, as draining as a 2 hour NS game is these days, at least it is more a good memory than a chore...  I would have quit long ago if every game was 2 hours long, I'm not a patient guy to say the least...
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

July 25, 2004, 08:16:01 PM
Reply #27

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
People like Seth are the reason why 3.0 was made; People complaining that the aliens were too strong, but didn't realize (or didn't want to accept) that the marines needed teamwork to win the game. This isn't supposed to be Counter-Strike with aliens instead of terrorists, it's supposed to be a team-oriented strategy shooter.

July 25, 2004, 09:09:58 PM
Reply #28

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
*feels like he just got shot in the knee.. twice..*

....owww grimm... that hurts.... really...

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

July 25, 2004, 10:47:24 PM
Reply #29

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
but what do you suggest anyway ? what should balance the game?

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

July 26, 2004, 05:04:00 AM
Reply #30

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Sorry, but 1.04 was in no way balanced. I'd argue that 2.01 was way more balanced than 1.04:

If both teams were competent in 1.04, the marines almost always won. The major leagues proved that: Most games ended in a draw, since both teams got two alien losses and two marine wins. Occasionally, one team would manage to scrape an alien win and decide the match, but usually, the marines wiped the floor with the aliens, pure and simply. In its heyday on LM, 2.01 was rather open. I still think I saw more alien wins than marine wins, but not by a huge margin. Perhaps something like 60-40. In its heyday, when around two thirds of the players on the server knew what they were doing and spread themselves evenly, the game was very open until one side established map control. And 2.01 was damned fun as well.

It seems as though everybody's whining over 3.x. I don't recall that much whining over 2.01 (except a few maps).

July 26, 2004, 10:02:58 AM
Reply #31

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I loved 2.01, and from what I've seen of every version I'd agree that it is the most balanced version of Natural Selection. It opened up a lot more flexibility for the aliens, so two-hive lockdowns weren't as crippling, tweaked the marine tech tree so certain extremely effective strategies weren't as viable without hurting other aspects of gameplay, protected marine economy/resource flow by allowing electrified resource towers, and made the Onos even more entertaining to play as with the addition of Devour and Stomp. Although the Onos was weakened a bit, it was still able to take a decent amount of damage if it had carapace or regeneration before it had to run. It's unfortunate that 3.0 reduced the effectiveness of Stomp without tweaking the target area of Devour, so Marines are increasingly difficult to devour because everyone knows to jump-crouch around the place like a jackrabbit to avoid being devoured. 3.0 also brought about the paper-thin Onos, the incredibly rediculous range of electrified objects, and increased the effectiveness of rambos spread around the map. I would love to see 2.01 brought back, but that's just wishful thinking.

July 26, 2004, 10:13:33 AM
Reply #32

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
can anyone refresh my decrepit memory as to what are the main diff between 2.01 and 3.x?
uh, besides
-fixed hitboxes
-combat
-catpacks
-hgs
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

July 26, 2004, 11:15:38 AM
Reply #33

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
can anyone refresh my decrepit memory as to what are the main diff between 2.01 and 3.x?
uh, besides
-fixed hitboxes
-combat
-catpacks
-hgs
more marine ownage early game

July 26, 2004, 11:21:57 AM
Reply #34

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
uh, besides
-fixed hitboxes
-combat
-catpacks
-hgs
-chibi-onos
-electric range
-beacon
-beacon/shotty rush
-uber-metabolize (celerity fades everywhere)
-FOCUS AND MY GOD IT CHANGED EVERYTHING

But really I love 3.0 just as much as I loved 2.01.  They both seemed pretty balanced to me.
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

July 27, 2004, 04:53:47 PM
Reply #35

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
frankly, i cant see what you guys are all complaining about.  Admittedly, i dont go and post or even read the ns forums, but i have been playing since 1.04.  I love(d) all the versions of ns, and found that however "unbalanced" things were, you could win half the games on either side.  Even with civ fading on aliens or lochness on marines, its not the  end of the world.  Admittedly, ninjas are better, but you could ninja in any version (i dont know about anything before 1.04, so dont kill me if you couldnt).  I have never noticed any balance issues....and a skulk is SUPPOSED to kill a LA/LMG one v one, or was last time i checked.  Teamwork is all its about.  How does a knife brigade WIN a game against "unbalanced fades" and such? TEAMWORK FTW.

The above game is referencing to a game me (samurai), Corvus (KNight, i think) Asal (fedaykin), and JJHS (let me stab your face) went knife brigade and won.  i beleive the map was ns_metal.  I may be wrong, but i think that was it.  

thanks for listening.

*dons flame resistant suit in preparation for the burns that are sure to come*
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear
One part comm, one part cheerleader, 3 parts cuddly bear

July 27, 2004, 08:04:33 PM
Reply #36

johnjacobjingle

• Gorge

• View Profile
gonna have to agree with kodiac here, 1.04 wasn't balanced at all, though was still a blast to play.  dunno how you can say it was balanced when all the marines needed was one hmg jp marine in the alium hive and teh game was over...:-/

anyway, yah, 3.x  is 'waaaaaay better than 1.04, and i really do see a lot of variation on strategies that work in these new versions, at least for marines(i'm hoping aliens get some flexibility soon :-/), and that really makes me happy.  so all in all, i think ns is heading the way it should be, i miss the epic games of 1.04, and i do think ns lost some of it's "feel"  when tehy unlinked the life forms, but it was for the better tbh irl.

*shrugs*  my 25 cents.

aka "mary"  thanks to Mr. Bill.
aka "let me stab your face"  if i'm feeling like starting a knife brigade or 3
"Drop Bill at JHunz. Build Bill, research relocation upgrade. WIN!" -necrosis...wow