Author Topic: Shadowrun Campaign  (Read 6468 times)

August 02, 2004, 01:52:08 PM
Reply #20

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
When?
The general 'present day' is 2062. Runs usually take place in that time, plus or minus 10 years. Runs usually won't take place any time before 2030's, since that was when the megacorps were being established, and the world was still in turmoil.

Anyway, in 2011, the year the Mayans predict the world will end and a new one will arise, The Great Awakening happened. Magic returned to the land. Once-thought-of mythical creatures manifested in new born children as orcs, trolls, dwarves, elves, and more. The doctors explained this with UGE - Unexplained Genetic Expression.

Shortly before all this happen, a superplague wiped the globe of most of the human population, known as VITAS. VITAS would rear its head again in the future.

The Native Americans were the first to discover their magical force. Using powerful spirits and spells, they fought off and devastated UCAS forces (United Canadian and American States, iirc). All the tribes were able to reclaim vast amounts of land - the size of the United States shrunk considerably. At the same time, megacorporations were slowly granted laws that would allow them more power then they ever should have had, including Extraterritoriality - The power to enforce their law on their lands.

Overall, the world changed. Forests sprung up overnight. Natural disasters smashed and pulverized cities. Magical insect spirits found a home in Chicago, and the area was sealed off into the Chicago Containment Zone. An Ares (A megacorp) special task force detonated a tactical nuke on Cermak street, known as the Cermak Street Blast. Chicago is the most difficult city to live in now, to say the least.

Somewhere in this madness, the Southern States remembered this brief stint as their own confederation long ago. They walked into Congress, said they didn't want Canada to be part of the US (I don't wholey blame them), then succeeded. A civil war was avoided, and now they're known as the Confederated States of America.

California didn't like what was going on, and decided they wanted to be their own state (It's California - No one knows what they think anyway), called California Free State, or just CalFree. To the north, Tir Tairngire (A special territory the elves made chiefly just for elves) lies, between Redding and Seattle, which is a place the elves set up as their own little land. Battles wage between CalFree and Tir forces between Redding and Yreka as the Tir tries to take over more of California. The Great Dragon Hestaby set up shop on top of Mt. Shasta and is keeping things largely in check. Eventually another Great Drago, Lofyr somehow ended up with a seat on the Concil of Princes (The Tir government), and CalFree is really worried now.

At the same time, CalFree asked for help fighting the Tir and the Aztalan forces to the south (which took over San Diego). Japan answered, in the form of setting up a base in San Francisco, sealing off the area with troops and walls, and calling it Tokyo By The Bay.

Coming Soon...[/color]
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 01:59:55 PM by Uranium - 235 »

August 02, 2004, 02:04:00 PM
Reply #21

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
The doctors explained this with UGE - Unexplained
keyword being, explained and unexplained xD.

And you're mad to copy my post and enhancing it :o ITS INSANITY I SAY!, and what's "worse" it's in the same topic :o.

oh and BTW, VITAS wouldn't happen to be that virus that "explains" the vampires+bunch of other myth creatures....since i more or less hate that explaination v.v
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 02:06:10 PM by Dirty Harry Potter »

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

August 02, 2004, 09:35:33 PM
Reply #22

Tombomb

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
hmm sounds fun how do we play this now?  iam kinda new to DnD kinda things but sounds fun i wanna try it out.  (DWARVEN GRUNT)!!!!!!!!

Thanks Dubb & Satiagraha for teh sweet hook up of Sig and Avatar
(Quote) Tombomb
DURPDE DUURRR????

August 04, 2004, 12:04:50 PM
Reply #23

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Still need Grimm and Zero to tell me what books they have :D

Now.... for the HOUSE RULES FROM HELL!

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jormung/shadowrun/rules3.html

I know it's a massive read, might be a little overwhelming, but I've used these rules in the past, they're very well written and have a very positive effect on gameplay.

We will be using the following:

* Modifier Changes
    * Dodging
    * Delaying Simple Actions
    * Overdamage
    * Moving While Wounded
    * Ignoring Wounds (or "Chew the Pain")
    * Autofire - Because the autofire rules in SR are 'teh suck' :D
    * Suppressive Fire
    * Grenades
    * Shotguns
    * Cover (firing through)
    * Trusting your Cover
    * Called Shots
    * Called Shots in Melee Combat
    * Called Shots Against Targets in Cover
    * Knowledge Skills (or "How obscure is it?")
    * On the Topic of Stealth...
    * Stealth and Surprise
    * Observation Skill
    * Aiming in Melee Combat
    * Martial Arts and Melee Combat - We won't be using martial arts.
    * Quick Drawing Melee Weapons
    * Ties in Armed or Unarmed Combat
    * Improvised Melee Weapons
    * Weapon Breakage
    * Bodyguarding

August 04, 2004, 03:26:10 PM
Reply #24

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
four books and that webpage ... if someone could make the game somewhat simpler (or just give me a stupidversion of the text) i'd be there

August 04, 2004, 03:29:49 PM
Reply #25

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
I don't really think you can, besides making the game more simple would kinda ruin it imo. But yes it's quite complex.

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

August 04, 2004, 03:56:56 PM
Reply #26

Sustained

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I think Uranium will have to explain things as we go, if we go.

I know for one that I can't figure out, heck, barely recognize most of the things in these house rules. I hope it'll be easier when we're in-game.

But err...These house rules are supa-complicated imho. I'll need the dummie versions ^_^;;

[size=8]Thanks to Grimm for the sig![/size]

August 04, 2004, 08:29:02 PM
Reply #27

Tombomb

• Skulk

• View Profile
So how are we gunna play this exactly? on a site or sumin?  well anyways keep me updated i want in !

(Quote) Tombomb
DURPDE DUURRR????

August 04, 2004, 11:40:11 PM
Reply #28

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
it would be done in an irc channel tombomb
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

August 05, 2004, 02:46:05 AM
Reply #29

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
it would be done in an irc channel tombomb
[snapback]24992[/snapback]

No, it won't.

four books and that webpage ... if someone could make the game somewhat simpler (or just give me a stupidversion of the text) i'd be there

Like I said - You only NEED the first, main book. The other three are strictly optional, but if you don't have them, you're gimping your character. They're cheap and easy to find so that's no excuse. Counting my books I've sunk less then $120 in Shadowrun - $30 for the main book and about $12 to $15 for 6 sourcebooks. $120 isn't much, and it's the best $120 I've spent (well... the stick of RAM was better, but not by much). You don't even NEED the sourcebooks I have - I have books detailing history on SR's North America and Australia for gods sakes. Retail sourcebooks are about $20. I bought most of mine off of Ebay for $12 or $15 with just 'Buy It Now' option. And don't shop off of Amazon - You'll either get out of date books (Shadowrun 2 sourcebooks), or whack prices (They have cannon companion listed as $60?)

First of all, this game is very complex - If you don't understand the rules, I can't dumb it down for you. If your only role-playing experience is with dumb 'ol Dungeons and Dragons, well, time to blow your mind - SR takes an IQ of at least triple digits to play well.

Secondly, if you think I can hold your hand through it, or explain it on the fly, you're out of luck. DHP will agree with me here - It's far too much a hassle to carry along someone who only wants to play so he can randomly kill people with a gun as a dwarf. "Okay... I cut the power on the lobby... Drake move in." "Right, I slide against the brick wall and move up to the keypad. I carefully remove the panel and examine the wiring for any alarm-" "I TOSS A GRENADE AT THE WINDOW LOL!!!"

Third, if you HAVE the books, and you still don't understand, then sit down and read 'Skills', 'Combat', 'Running the Shadows' and 'Beyond the Shadows'. Then read them again. Read it until you DO understand those house rules. They're horribly simple once you understand. Targetnumbers and modifiers, that's what this game is in a nutshell.

No, I'm not going to have any of THAT. If you dont' have a book or you don't understand the rules, you're out of luck.

That said, if you want to play, you have to SHOW me you understand the rules: Since I don't know if everyone has Shadowrun Companion we're going to be using the BECKS system:

http://tss.dumpshock.com/15/art15-b2.html

Basically it's a more refined version of the 'Points' system in SRComp. It's really really easy to use, so if I hear anyone bitching, I'm gonna slap you. The first time I used this system I did it right away.

We're using BeCKS, if you have a question, ask.

Limits for characters:

300pts to spend with BeCKS, not 450.
Skill and Gear Max rating = 4,
Max Gear Availability = 6
You MUST multiply street index with the cost. If the item costs 500 nuyen, and the Street Index is 2, then you pay 1,000.
You can go over the availability, but you must add 0.1 to the street index for each point above 6. (Avail of 8 would cost (Base * (SI + 0.2)).

Yes, this is a low-powered game, but considering none of you besides DHP knows what the :D is going on, you have to live with it.

Email your characters to me for approval. I better not get 4 street sams. Be creative for gods sakes.

Uranium235 ( at ) gmail ( dot ) com.

Attached is a character I made using the exact same limits I just gave you guys from the game I posted a link to on page 1.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 03:26:12 AM by Uranium - 235 »

August 05, 2004, 07:12:08 PM
Reply #30

Tombomb

• Skulk

• View Profile
T_T.... i wouldent throw a nade at a window...... but w/e i see u gotta be hella nerdy to play this game well w/e i dont have money for books to read.  I wished i could have came along with some one telling me on the fly but looks like it wont happen....

(Quote) Tombomb
DURPDE DUURRR????

August 06, 2004, 12:45:41 AM
Reply #31

Nooblet

• Legacy Admin
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://www.gorgerush.net
If anyone needs to Purchase books for this or anything I can help I and my step dad run a distrubution company out of my house called MWGames (website comming soon), my step dad got a distributer licence and sells items directly and factory prices. I can place an order for you and have them shipped in 2 days. PM me if intrested.

We are huge geeks in this house, DnD every sunday, Stargate SG-1 every saturday, and we go to GenCon every year. w00t!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 12:47:02 AM by Nooblet »
Pissing DHP off one sig at a time.
Breaking the respect rule are we? *rolls up sleeves* - DHP
DHP, I love you.

August 06, 2004, 01:12:12 AM
Reply #32

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
If anyone needs to Purchase books for this or anything I can help I and my step dad run a distrubution company out of my house called MWGames (website comming soon), my step dad got a distributer licence and sells items directly and factory prices. I can place an order for you and have them shipped in 2 days. PM me if intrested.

We are huge geeks in this house, DnD every sunday, Stargate SG-1 every saturday, and we go to GenCon every year. w00t!
[snapback]25105[/snapback]

HOLY ^^ ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I LOVE YOU! (cries)

August 06, 2004, 05:26:05 AM
Reply #33

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
If I didn't have to buy the book, I'd be in in a second.  Unfortunately, my experience with shadowrun is basically at a 'yeah - heard about it once or twice' level.

I s'pose I'll be content to wo watch for now :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 05:26:37 AM by Dubb »

August 09, 2004, 11:46:45 AM
Reply #34

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
HELLOOO WAKEY WAKEY I HAVEN'T RECIEVED ANYTHING YET.