Author Topic: Best Commanders  (Read 24813 times)

April 21, 2004, 08:21:37 AM
Reply #100

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
Well, it's not really that my marines are having a higher k:d ratio. It's mainly been that we've found little resistance.

I always do the old "Point A is their hive, rush the nearest res node from it and attack". After a few battles, they either

A ) waste res on defenses there

B ) Continue to rush it ignoring the rest of the map

C ) Give up on it and usually the game (if we can't keep them away from outside our hive, we can't do anything)

D ) Both A & B

The only time this really fails is when my marines are slow to push and they turn the tables. Then I manage a shotty rush on a hive to put them back where they belong, and then we resume advancement.

Yesterday I was losing alot though (partially to the fact my headset only worked in the left ear, and my mic worked 20% of the time...), and I was noticing that it was mainly b/c I couldn't communicate enough with my marines to push their hive more.

Addendum: I'm not on many people's lists, I guess I need to step it up, or stay out of the chair.  :huh:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 08:58:52 AM by [mmi]rad4Christ »
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

April 21, 2004, 10:01:06 AM
Reply #101

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I'll say that you have turned into a fine commander now :)

My list right now would just be saltzbad, rad and legionnaired, very few other people seem to comm regulary enough for me to get a feel for them or never comm at all anymore.

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

April 21, 2004, 10:09:37 AM
Reply #102

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
in no order

goldleader
rad
goldleader
saltz
goldleader
hd
goldleader
crack
goldleader
grill

erh.. i'm sure i missed someone... if i did, i apologize.

also!

goldleader!!!!
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

April 21, 2004, 12:06:08 PM
Reply #103

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
in no order

goldleader
rad
goldleader
saltz
goldleader
hd
goldleader
crack
goldleader
grill

erh.. i'm sure i missed someone... if i did, i apologize.

also!

goldleader!!!!

well i know this is for a fact that you <3 goldleader cause you told us one game we were losing that you hold him to a higher standard
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 12:06:47 PM by Dark »
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

April 21, 2004, 02:39:21 PM
Reply #104

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
imho, he only loses when he CHOOSES to lose for his AMUSEMENT. that's IT!!

*holds onto plushie doll of GL for dear life*
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

April 21, 2004, 04:02:36 PM
Reply #105

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I had gl comm in a pug once, he was awesome.

#lessthanthree on qnet

April 21, 2004, 04:56:56 PM
Reply #106

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I had gl comm in a pug once, he was awesome.
that's RIGHT!! and dont' you forget it!! ;)
-Richard Feynman

April 21, 2004, 05:43:27 PM
Reply #107

SaltzBad

• Gorge

• View Profile
rad4Christ,Apr 21 2004, 08:21 AM] Yesterday I was losing alot though (partially to the fact my headset only worked in the left ear, and my mic worked 20% of the time...), and I was noticing that it was mainly b/c I couldn't communicate enough with my marines to push their hive more.

Bah, you're on my list for sure bay-beh. The reason for most smattering marine losses is marines unable to follow simple orders - and I mean really simple things, without getting lost. Theres a load of games where by looking at the players, you can be fairly certain this will be the case and hence an unwinnable game. Not that it stops me from trying, but its usually just an exercise in frustration.

And then you'll only win if the aliens are really aweful Skulks (and even then usually not).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 05:44:27 PM by SaltzBad »

April 21, 2004, 07:55:08 PM
Reply #108

Torque2k7

• Skulk

• View Profile
rad4Christ,Apr 21 2004, 08:21 AM]
Addendum: I'm not on many people's lists, I guess I need to step it up, or stay out of the chair.  :huh:
You're on mine :lol:

Thanks for some awesomely memorable comming experiences

Also, Niteowls list seems to be a good one
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 07:58:02 PM by Torque2k7 »
22kb is the max sig size allowed, yours is 55kb. - DHP

April 21, 2004, 07:57:36 PM
Reply #109

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
rad4Christ,Apr 21 2004, 09:21 AM] Addendum: I'm not on many people's lists, I guess I need to step it up, or stay out of the chair.  :huh:
NOOOOOO! You can't stop!

*adds him*
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

April 22, 2004, 01:42:42 PM
Reply #110

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Rad, you're really a very good Comm. Keep up the awesome work.

I've been comming a lot lately, anyone seen any improvements in me, or anything I can do better?

April 22, 2004, 01:57:26 PM
Reply #111

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Tank you. But I'm losing more lately... Although just had a game today on Nothing where I picked up the chair after someone left, and we went on to victory. Fun stuff, that and HD was spectating aliens for Tk's before rejoining the team (i wonder if he used insider info)...
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

April 22, 2004, 02:10:34 PM
Reply #112

Seth

• Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://go.to/simclarke
well i'm touched none of you said anything of me!

and i've lead meny marines to victory without the use of voice comm, apart from maybe screaming PHASE.

edit, no one puts any faith in the "DEFEND TARGET" command, i find it works very well with all the marines in squad 1
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 02:11:25 PM by Seth »
Through the mudd and the blood to the green fields beyond, for ours is not to question why our is but to do or die.

And when we die and die we shall to saint peter we shall tell, just another soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell.

April 22, 2004, 02:36:55 PM
Reply #113

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I like your rate my comming thing you have, legion :D

I haven't played on LM in ages, i find there is always someone else who wants to comm so i just let them :| I need to do it more often it seems as only rad and saltz seem to know i comm :(

#lessthanthree on qnet

April 22, 2004, 02:49:46 PM
Reply #114

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
mouse is a cancer to marine teams, when he joins rine, its a insta-win for aliens. he once made rad AND holy_devil lose consecutive games.  :o

i think holy_devil is learning the ways of the COMMMMRAAAGE. niteowl has taught him well.

new list:

rad4christ
holy_devil
saltzbad
gold_leader
seth
legion
any oldfogie
mr ben, but only had him as comm ~6 times

and...
BLACK MAGE OMG COMM HAX!!!!!one

April 22, 2004, 03:56:40 PM
Reply #115

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
lets see i've had a lot of different heck i've commed only when people wouldn't jump in the chair and let me tell you i by far am not a good com i have like 1 win and an uncountable number of losses :(

anyways here is my new list of favorite LM coms

saltzbad
rad
seth
nightowl
hd
goldleader
legion
nooblet (haven't seen him in a while though)
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

April 22, 2004, 05:51:18 PM
Reply #116

SaltzBad

• Gorge

• View Profile
rad4Christ,Apr 22 2004, 01:57 PM] Tank you. But I'm losing more lately... Although just had a game today on Nothing where I picked up the chair after someone left, and we went on to victory. Fun stuff, that and HD was spectating aliens for Tk's before rejoining the team (i wonder if he used insider info)...
Aaaaak, before I'm forced to strangulate you, stop worrying about losses. They're public games - unless you threw a perfectly good win from your team in the wind, don't fret yourself. You can gain comming experience and habit in publics, but win/losses mean nothing at all.

How many times have you seen an all-elec strat win? I'm sure you've witnessed it a bunch of times - usually the commander said maybe 'ogm guys hold on to double' the whole round and the team runs around and kills every thing they see (And thats why god loves marines. Erhm.) - including resnodes, chambers and Gorges. If a bunch of marines own up the early game, nobody can lose unless you never even spend your ressources.

Then on the other hand, theres a ton of games you just can't ever win because they barely take off from the ground - they're usually the ones where a few smart guys run off in a random direction, and either get pwned and now you're down to half your team for the initial rush, or your base gets overrun. Best example is the guys that will run into Miasma walkway at the start of an ns_lost round, getting bitchslapped in the walkway and at the same time letting a nice little Skulkrush walk across docking wing :/

Its either that, or they just suck. But somehow, odds seem to be better with cooperative but sucky teams than the other way around - when a player that rates himself good gets frustrated, he just keeps running around alone trying to prove to himself that he's not the suck. A 'team' of these guys is entirely useless (unlike the ones that actually rule, and/or fight really crappy aliens).

So anyways, the percentage of games where commanding is the deciding factor is small - some are free wins, and you can test the brutality of different tactics at best - others are definite losses. A small percentage can finally be hard games that you can either turn or lose, down to a few minute decisions.

Regardless, if you want some a bit more intense commanding exp, try pugs. Be grunt for a few first though - you're definitely a skilled enough commander, but not sure if you've seen competitive 6v6 in action yet.

April 23, 2004, 01:53:11 PM
Reply #117

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
zerwalter used to be an extremely leet comm
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

April 23, 2004, 02:24:08 PM
Reply #118

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
well i'm touched none of you said anything of me!

and i've lead meny marines to victory without the use of voice comm, apart from maybe screaming PHASE.

edit, no one puts any faith in the "DEFEND TARGET" command, i find it works very well with all the marines in squad 1
Pshh, you were mentioned plenty of times in the first couple of pages.  I think its  an accepted fact more then anything now that you can comm ANY marines out of ANY situation.  I especially liked your "ignore-messhall then siege the hell out of it later" strat the other day that totally kicked ass in ns_nancy.  Every time I see something totally brilliant like that, I get inspired to carbon copy it and exploit it 19810958 times, expect to see a repeat!

Anyway, you hardly comm anymore.  You need to commwhore to get on the lists!

Also, how the hell do you get defend target to work?!?!  I know if you click on it for several hours you will eventually get lucky, but you seem to get it on your first try!  You must have aimbot. :o
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 02:24:51 PM by Sancho »

April 23, 2004, 02:42:46 PM
Reply #119

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
OMG comm orders aimbotz!

Crack used to be able to do that perfectly too. He could always get defend target, weld target, and even the ever elusive 'enemies nearby' waypoint. MAGIC!

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck