Author Topic: Swifts Music Spectacular!  (Read 2516 times)

June 09, 2005, 02:20:37 AM
Read 2516 times

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Most of you probably had no clue whatsoever, but a few of you might know that I've been into digital mixing for music for quite some time... now I kind of feel I need to apologize, you've probably seen me reeming people out for bad sample choices and use of crappy synths in the past yet have never seen me post any of my work to back my statements.  I didn't really want to get back into the "OLO FREE MP3 HOST FOR YOU!!!" thing ever since internetDJ went down the tubes and started making people pay for accounts, so I just never hosted the stuff, and thus none of you ever heard it.  Yesterday Legion offerend me some hosting to post my stuff, thanks a million man  <3  <3  <3.  Anyways, here is a small sampling, which pretty much consists of all my work that I considered good enough to share from the last 2 years (I'm a hobbist, this isn't my job and I'm not that hardcore).  Most of it is made with Fruityloops and one song made with Reason.  For future referance I wouldn't recommend Fruityloops to any aspiring mixers. FL is a VERY bare bones sound suite... when you run into something that doesn't sound right in a FL song you basicly say to yourself "how the hell am I going to fix this?" when you run into something in reason you say "which of these many many options am I going to use to fix this?".  Takes longer to learn, but overall reason is a MUCH nicer sound suite.  Downloads and listenings of awesome music free for all!

BeachSideCoffee:
Probably my oldest song in this series, nice mellow sound, some nice light synths and good sound effect samples in the background.  I hit a lucky note on this one, as it probably turned out better then most of the other stuff here in the end.  Made with Fruityloops.

Sonar Espionage:
Intersting sound, catchy tune, not very mainstream stuff...  Sounds to me like a video game mix or something, hear for yourself, it's a little hard to explain...  Made with Fruityloops.

TharBeDragons!:
A little more of a mystical sound, something that might be used in a FF style MMORPG or something, hence the "thar be"ing of "dragons".  Made with Fruityloops.

TravellersRythem:
I think I spelled something in the title wrong :P...  Either way, This is the last Fruityloops song I ever made, you can hear that it's a little cleaner and more professional sounding...  much more relyant on the groove of the melody then a strong beat to pull the listener into the song... I get bored of this song after a little while, but it would be decent background music for something.

Journy (VsB remix):
I came up with the original melody and beat for this song and then abandoned it because it originally sounded really really crappy.  My brother picked it up though and resampled everything and I'm really quite pleased with the result.  VsB stands for Voodoo steam Boat... he hasn't used that nickname in forever but I think it's still his DJ handle...  My brother is hardcore, and has pumped a fair few techno tracks out of fruity loops that I personally think leave some of the better professional artists in the dust.  I've learned a fair bit from going through his sources and seeing how he does stuff.  Made and remixed in fruityloops.

Shreads:
My most recent peice, and probably the most catchy of all these songs.  Some of the stuff I did with the synths going through a scream machine just gives this a really hard edge that makes it impossible to avoid getting sucked into the melody.  It's all synths and samples arranged digiatally, even though some of it sounds alot like intrumentals, which really aids the sound I was going for.  Made with Reason.

Enjoy and critique!
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

June 09, 2005, 03:54:32 AM
Reply #1

Slink

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
"That's a rather tender subject.  Another slice anyone?"

*Warning: Content May Not Be "G" Rated.  And it may be morally reprehensible, to boot.

June 09, 2005, 12:11:02 PM
Reply #2

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I like Traveller's Rythem the most... most melodic-sounding to me :)
I think you should focus on a melody more, one that changes and evolves throughout the song. Right now, it's not the melody evolving, but what's supporting it - beat, background. In my opinion, it should be the other way around.

Also, I have a small question. Do you play around with notes until they sound nice, or do you get them playing in your head then you just put it in? Basically, do you write by trial -and-error or something that's already laid out in your head?
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

June 09, 2005, 03:43:40 PM
Reply #3

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I like Traveller's Rythem the most... most melodic-sounding to me :)
I think you should focus on a melody more, one that changes and evolves throughout the song. Right now, it's not the melody evolving, but what's supporting it - beat, background. In my opinion, it should be the other way around.

Also, I have a small question. Do you play around with notes until they sound nice, or do you get them playing in your head then you just put it in? Basically, do you write by trial -and-error or something that's already laid out in your head?
[snapback]50528[/snapback]
With fruity loops its primarily trial and error.  you write a bunch of little loops and then you make a song out of it.  There is a lot more room for flexability with reason, so I'm starting to move more towards evolving melodies, just haven't had the time to lay down a full track yet.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

June 09, 2005, 09:33:28 PM
Reply #4

Bryan

• Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
"Shreads" has now been added to my libary. I love how it's so chrisp and clean. it knida remindes me of 303 infinty.
http://music.download.com/303infinity/3600...ml?tag=quickurl

Bryan
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 08:19:14 AM by Bryan »
1987 Keller, Tx spelling bee champ.