Author Topic: March 15th, Was A Bad Day For Me!  (Read 7032 times)

March 16, 2004, 07:02:51 AM
Read 7032 times

Majin

• Skulk

• View Profile
Yes, as many of you heard me rant and rave, I was devoured 14 times yesterday.
I want to thank Anarki for getting in the last 2 just to piss me off. >_<
14 Devours in 1 day must be a record.
I don't know why I started to keep track, might have had something to do with the fact I was devoured 6 times in 1 game on Thorstation.

If I had full life each time that would have been 7 mins of time staring at that Onos gut! >_<

March 16, 2004, 07:19:56 AM
Reply #1

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
March 15th was a good day for me because its exatcly two months from that day which my birthday is.  :)

March 16, 2004, 07:29:54 AM
Reply #2

Loke The Sleek Peruvian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
I devoured you too...haha loke devoured you!!
I am Sleek.

Are you?

Only in peru would you consider being closer to satan 'winning'... INCA HAX FOR THE WIN!

March 16, 2004, 01:37:46 PM
Reply #3

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Beware the ides of March.

[edit]
About the devouring, I definitely consider it unsportsmanlike to devour marines when it would be equally beneficial to simply gore them.  In doing this you accomplish nothing more than to cause the player boredom.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 08:00:06 PM by a civilian »

March 17, 2004, 04:24:19 AM
Reply #4

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I've long stopped being bothered by devour. It so happens that I get devoured from time to time. If I have full health, I can go grab a drink. And it's nice to be able to take a break. Being devoured six times in a game or fourteen times in a day has happened to me before. If you want to make sure you don't get devoured, play aliens.

March 17, 2004, 07:59:47 AM
Reply #5

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Or bunnyhop like a jackass around the Onos until they get pissed at you and gorge you.

Every other damned marine out there does it.  <_<

March 17, 2004, 10:24:18 AM
Reply #6

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
im pretty sure 8/14 of those devorus ahd to somehow been connected to me as onos :lol:

as for grimm, gorging a marine as onos is bannable, dont do it! :p

and a civilian: i whore it as much as i do to promote teamwork and to get marines actually "scared" of onos, and sometimes it actually works.

reminder: if you play as marine when im alien, expect to be eaten at least 2ce :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 10:25:47 AM by Diablus »

March 17, 2004, 12:54:57 PM
Reply #7

Keyser59

• Gorge

• View Profile
Beware the ides of March.

[edit]
About the devouring, I definitely consider it unsportsmanlike to devour marines when it would be equally beneficial to simply gore them.  In doing this you accomplish nothing more than to cause the player boredom.
[/edit]
Thats also something that has been obvious since 2.0 came out, and I'm surprised that some servers haven't caught on to this.

March 17, 2004, 01:04:44 PM
Reply #8

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
You develop a hard and fast rule for when devour is being abused and an easy way to track it, and I'll be happy to warn/kick/ban for it. Sounds about impossible to me though. Maybe that onos was low on health. Maybe the marines have a3, which still takes quite a few gores to break especially when you've got a couple HMGs trained on you. Just because someone's not an HA doesn't mean there's no reason to use devour. With this weak onos, devour is really all he's got left, unless there are teammates around to bite marines while he stomp spams.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

March 17, 2004, 01:07:37 PM
Reply #9

Keyser59

• Gorge

• View Profile
No, there shouldn't be a rule for it where you can get kicked or warned for devouring everything in site.

It should just be taboo. Regular NS players should know when devour is sportsmanlike and when its not. Sometimes you see onos devour lone unupgraded marines with no weapons, which is just absurd.

March 17, 2004, 01:59:11 PM
Reply #10

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
About the devouring, I definitely consider it unsportsmanlike to devour marines when it would be equally beneficial to simply gore them. In doing this you accomplish nothing more than to cause the player boredom.

but keyser, if i were to say, see a marine walk out of base alone and im an onos, i would devour him, because i know that this will take 1 marine out of offensive / defensive action for the length of the devour. that's less firepower for the marines for a longer period of time than what it would be if i gored and then have them respawn. thus, helping my team more than a gore kill.

March 17, 2004, 09:42:28 PM
Reply #11

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
About the devouring, I definitely consider it unsportsmanlike to devour marines when it would be equally beneficial to simply gore them. In doing this you accomplish nothing more than to cause the player boredom.

but keyser, if i were to say, see a marine walk out of base alone and im an onos, i would devour him, because i know that this will take 1 marine out of offensive / defensive action for the length of the devour. that's less firepower for the marines for a longer period of time than what it would be if i gored and then have them respawn. thus, helping my team more than a gore kill.
yes fatty that is why i devour lone marines.  i know it is boring staring at the onos' stomach for the duration when you (the marine) weren't upgraded/equipped but hey the longer it takes for you to spawn back in the better chance the aliens have to do something
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

March 18, 2004, 02:03:23 AM
Reply #12

DiscoZombie

• Skulk

• View Profile
yeah... 2 onoses in the field digesting 2 marines -- that's 2 marines that won't spawn for a while/won't be beaconed back in, etc...

but when there's a rambo of full health, it IS lame... as for a way to enforce a rule against it: no kicks or bans, just let the devoured marines whine and flame (in couth language) and tsk-tsk at the offending onos, so everyone can be ashamed of him =P

March 18, 2004, 06:10:21 AM
Reply #13

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
it was actually 3 , or 4 devours majin :p
ive been having fun with the onos recently  :D
since i almost always gorge.
-_^

March 18, 2004, 06:38:10 AM
Reply #14

Keyser59

• Gorge

• View Profile
I suppose digesting marines when things are still even is okay, because it does give a very small advantage (But I'm sure no game was so close that aliens won by digesting marines instead of killing them). However, when you know you've won, it's just plain bad sportsmanship to digest marines. And thats the most common form of digesting that I've seen.

March 18, 2004, 06:52:48 AM
Reply #15

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I think people are being a little too serious about that devour business. When you're devoured, it's usually NOT just to annoy you. Fact is that devour, if you can hit with it, is the most effective weapon in the Onos' arsenal: It's a one-hit "kill" no matter how much health or armour your target has. Digesting your victim gives you a (paltry) hitpoint regeneration. And it increases the time it takes for your victim to respawn. If I could devour multiple victims, I'd demote gore to an anti-structure weapon. If you think devour is annoying or unfair, complain to the development team, not to the players taking advantage of what they have.

After all, the aliens are the close combatants here. If they can't use devour at will, they lose the best close combat weapon in the game. The second best melee weapon is the shotgun, a weapon exclusive to the humans. Now if THAT ain't unfair, I don't know what is.

March 18, 2004, 01:02:58 PM
Reply #16

Keyser59

• Gorge

• View Profile
I think people are being a little too serious about that devour business. When you're devoured, it's usually NOT just to annoy you. Fact is that devour, if you can hit with it, is the most effective weapon in the Onos' arsenal: It's a one-hit "kill" no matter how much health or armour your target has. Digesting your victim gives you a (paltry) hitpoint regeneration. And it increases the time it takes for your victim to respawn. If I could devour multiple victims, I'd demote gore to an anti-structure weapon. If you think devour is annoying or unfair, complain to the development team, not to the players taking advantage of what they have.

After all, the aliens are the close combatants here. If they can't use devour at will, they lose the best close combat weapon in the game. The second best melee weapon is the shotgun, a weapon exclusive to the humans. Now if THAT ain't unfair, I don't know what is.
I'm talking about devouring marines when no tactical advantage is gained.

If there are a large group all firing and you only have a short time span, by all means devour. If an onos is sitting outside base just waiting for a marine to walk by, devour him, and run away, I find that bad sportsmanship because he is literally taking what fun is left in losing.

If I get devoured time after time after time on a losing marine team, I'll just leave the server.

March 18, 2004, 02:47:26 PM
Reply #17

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I suppose digesting marines when things are still even is okay, because it does give a very small advantage (But I'm sure no game was so close that aliens won by digesting marines instead of killing them). However, when you know you've won, it's just plain bad sportsmanship to digest marines. And thats the most common form of digesting that I've seen.
It's also just plain bad sportsmanship to have an entire Marine team outfitted with Heavy Armory and HMGs/GLs/Shotties to build a mini-base and seige farm outside of the last standing Kharaa hive with only skulks to pester them. But hey, you don't see people trying to stop that.

March 18, 2004, 02:49:06 PM
Reply #18

Keyser59

• Gorge

• View Profile
So its bad sportsmanship.

Not what we're talking about  <_< .

March 18, 2004, 02:55:33 PM
Reply #19

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
(But I'm sure no game was so close that aliens won by digesting marines instead of killing them

Wrong there keyser, many games have been amazingly close and because i/another onos devoured that 1 Heavy Marine with the Grenade launcher/HMG/SG attacking the hive, stomping the rest so my teamtes can slowly kill the others. in theory, that 1 Devour on a specific HA and aliens comming back actually does turn the tides in the game. that 1 marine couldve killed the onos/hive/ crippled the alien skulks causing an end game.

Also, as i said before i purposly devour lone marines to not only be cruel, but toteach him/her a lesson to stick with the team and MABYE. just MABYE you wont be eaten. I personally HATE getting devoured so thats why 80% of the games i play as marine im with another teamate.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 02:55:54 PM by Diablus »