Author Topic: Friendly Fire And You  (Read 6738 times)

March 28, 2004, 05:51:25 PM
Read 6738 times

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
Since it seems abundantly clear that a large portion of players don't know how to handle friendly fire, i thought i'd post a little bit of common sense for them.

1) If you don't have a clear shot at your target, don't fire. There's nothing worse than getting shot in the back by someone who only has a one in a thousand chance of hitting their target. Yes, it may suck to see your teammate torn apart infront of you, but if you fire and hit him, you're only making it worse.

2) Parasiting. Christ, can people NOT parasite other aliens at the start of the game. I'm sick of it. Yes, it may only be a few HP off, but with the skulk's lower armour, every single piece of hp and armour counts. What's more, it's irritating as goddamned hell. Don't do it.

3) If you do accidently bite or shoot someone, apologise straight away.

4) If you do accidently TK, again, apologise ASAP, explain that it wasn't intentional.

5) If you have a GL or are throwing a grenade, look at number 1. Memorise, learn and love rule number 1. Do NOT GL spam into groups of your own team and absolutely, under no circumstances, fire your GL when you have little chance of hitting your target.

6) If you're a skulk and you leap into a building, make sure you tell your team it was you, and there's no trouble there.

7) If you leap the hive, same thing.

8) When the game starts. Do. Not. Bite. The. Hive. You have no idea how many people do this, it's ridiculous. Mainly NSPlayer nubs, but still, you need that thing to live, DON'T DO IT!

9) Even if someone's within healing range of DCs or a hive, don't bite them. The amount of times people have bitten me and think it's all a great joke. It's not. It's goddamned annoying, cut it out and don't do it.

10) If you're an Onos choose your targets. If you're rushing a base, attack something someone else isn't attacking. The amount of times i've been in marine start chewing on a TF or IP, nearly having it down, only to be punted halfway across the room because some Onos wanted to get there, is as usual, ridiculous. If two skulks are attacking an RT, move along. They're doing more damage and faster than you could do, but the second you attack it they will be thrown away.

You have no idea how sick i am of people intentionally biting me, parasiting me or generally being a lame f*ck just because ff is on. Cut all that ^^ out, it's annoying as hell and counterproductive to the game's goals.
Hint: Use Guided Mode for helpful prompts

March 28, 2004, 05:56:01 PM
Reply #1

Architeuthis

• Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
2) Parasiting. Christ, can people NOT parasite other aliens at the start of the game. I'm sick of it. Yes, it may only be a few HP off, but with the skulk's lower armour, every single piece of hp and armour counts. What's more, it's irritating as goddamned hell. Don't do it.
goals.
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

I thought I put an end to this when I started banning for it, but apparently not! I guess I'll have to ban some more. And then some more again. AND MORE. UNTIL THE ENTIRE WORLD IS BANNED.

I also agree with everything else.

March 28, 2004, 05:58:58 PM
Reply #2

Guspaz

• Reserved Slot
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • https://retrostuff.ca
I'll just take this opportunity to petition for FF's removal. IIRC, it was only implemented in the first place to reduce the effect of the grenade damage bug (Where grenade launchers did hand grenade damage). However that bug was fixed long ago.

FF also introduces the onos-punt-without-doing-damage bug. Which is quite annoying.

I was afraid something like this would happen once FF was untied from tourny mode, that a server I was a regular on would turn it on and turn me off :p

This is the number one reason why I play on Kustom Kettle whenever there's players there; FF is annoying as hell, and doesn't add anything to the game but a hassle.

At the very least there should be a vote in the RS forum about if it should be kept or not. Cheez and I both hate it, and while I do hear lots of support for it, I'm hoping most people don't like it.

EDIT: That said, great post Esuna, I agree with it all, it's a great guide of how to play when one is forced to deal with the annoyance that is FF.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 05:59:47 PM by Guspaz »

March 28, 2004, 06:00:14 PM
Reply #3

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
FF is staying don't bother guspaz, thanks.

as for the guide:
i love it :D great work, handing common sense to people will hopefully help.

March 28, 2004, 06:05:44 PM
Reply #4

Guspaz

• Reserved Slot
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • https://retrostuff.ca
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 01:10:08 PM by Lightning Blue »

March 28, 2004, 06:21:27 PM
Reply #5

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I'd like to add something, although this still applies when FF is off, it's more pronounced when FF is on.

DON'T RUN INTO SOMEONE ELSE'S LINE OF FIRE.

You'd think that'd be easy, but it's not. This applies to aliens and marines. If I'm shooting that skulk across the room, running like a madman in front of me is going to get your hurt, it's going to get the skulk less hurt, and he's probably going to take you down since you're running right up to him. If you want to help me take out that OC, great. Standing IN FRONT OF ME is not the way to do it. Marines are capable of crouching. If you have to be there, get your head down.

Whereas on aliens, I usually see this when attacking an RT. I'm biting and someone comes along and jumps right inbetween me and the RT and dies. Then complains. Well, genius, don't throw yourself directly into my jaws! That RT isn't going anywhere. It's not going to dodge your attack. You don't need to run laps around it while you bite it. Just move up to it and start biting. Which leads to a more alien specific point, namely that you DO NOT have to be merging with a building before you can attack it. All alien melee attacks still have a bit of range on them. And most building hitboxes are larger than the building itself. This means you can usually attack an RT without having to smash your face deep into its inner workings.

The biggest causer of problems there is the Onos. Believe it or not, gore has a pretty substantial range. Instead of trying to get intimate with the RT, STAND THE HELL BACK and maybe let some other people bite it too without getting drop kicked across the room by your knockback. You can still damage it without having to hump it, is my point.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

March 28, 2004, 06:45:22 PM
Reply #6

ShootBang

• Skulk

• View Profile
9) Even if someone's within healing range of DCs or a hive, don't bite them. The amount of times people have bitten me and think it's all a great joke. It's not. It's goddamned annoying, cut it out and don't do it.

i hate trying to build something, getting shot, and being bitten and killed by a team member wanting me to heal them. talk about annoying... if you need me to heal you so bad, type it, or say it over the mic., don't attack me!!!

Arnold, Win? But he's still.... Only human

March 28, 2004, 06:50:21 PM
Reply #7

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Oh, don't forget that at the end of the game, if your're on the winning team, you and your teammates need to duke it out. :D
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

March 28, 2004, 07:38:54 PM
Reply #8

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
just a note on male's post: once the endgame music plays, its FFA, kill away :p

March 28, 2004, 07:50:49 PM
Reply #9

SaltzBad

• Gorge

• View Profile
I don't see the big deal with Onos knockback. If an Onos is on something, I usually just chomp something else - not like it will take him more than a few seconds to take it out anyway.

With the rest I agree though. Its largely up to the guy in front, wether moronically running up there or being there because he's the first in the group to not get FFed away by opening up the line of fire by either a) crouching b ) putting the target between you and your teammates, instead of infront of both of you or c) stand on the opposing side of the hallway.

The last option is the least effective, but always workable - so for example a Skulk comes at you, you strafe along a wall and your buddy can now just shoot from the opposite wall, likely  further back. The angle provided won't be perfect, but alot better than standing in the middle of the hallway.

But the most important rule, FF or no : Don't :Ding crowd up. Marines and Aliens bunching up closely are a recipe for disaster - wether its knocking a Lerk out of the air, getting your Skulk buddys stuck or covering 33% of your teammates field of view with your fat marine behind, it doesn't matter. Leave enough room to take 4-5 steps in any direction, and you'll survive alot longer.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 07:53:34 PM by SaltzBad »

March 28, 2004, 08:30:31 PM
Reply #10

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Quoted for emphasis on music. The ping of death IS NOT the endgame music. I have been in many a game where the ping has sounded only for the aliens to come back from it. Don't assume that just because it's pinging you can now kill your teammate. Your teammate may be on his way to a hive that they just dropped.

There's no leeway on this, by the way. Screaming 'but the game was practically over anyway' will fall on deaf ears.

But yes, once the endgame music plays and the little 'team x won' drops down, I'm taking all of my teammates out.  :D

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

March 28, 2004, 08:40:16 PM
Reply #11

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
Quoted for emphasis on music. The ping of death IS NOT the endgame music. I have been in many a game where the ping has sounded only for the aliens to come back from it. Don't assume that just because it's pinging you can now kill your teammate. Your teammate may be on his way to a hive that they just dropped.

There's no leeway on this, by the way. Screaming 'but the game was practically over anyway' will fall on deaf ears.

But yes, once the endgame music plays and the little 'team x won' drops down, I'm taking all of my teammates out.  :D
Exactly.  DO NOT kill your teammates until the entire enemy team is destroyed.  I hate it when a whole team of JPers tks each other, only to have to respawn and get more JPs just to find the remaining gorge.

March 28, 2004, 10:39:47 PM
Reply #12

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Even more importantly, do not bite eggs.  This is more than an annoyance.  Many weapons have a push effect, and, due to a bug, pushing an egg will often cause it to 'crater'.

If two skulks are attacking an RT, move along. They're doing more damage and faster than you could do, but the second you attack it they will be thrown away.
Against structures, a single Onos actually does as much damage as two Skulks.

March 28, 2004, 11:10:14 PM
Reply #13

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
Yeah, I remember that bug  :(

*civilian quickly gets a movement upgrade next to an enemy RT*
*big ol' Sancho onos runs in and smacks the RT*
*civ egg flys up 5 feet then comes crashing to its doom*

Oops. o_O
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 11:10:49 PM by Sancho »

March 28, 2004, 11:34:04 PM
Reply #14

DiscoZombie

• Skulk

• View Profile
Don't flame, ever.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 01:13:02 PM by Lightning Blue »

March 28, 2004, 11:48:04 PM
Reply #15

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
You forgot the most important:

"Uranium with an HMG isn't a lesson in him watching his fire, it's a lesson in 'get out of the damned way'"

And if you get TKed because you were hopping around like a prick when skulks are in melee, in my opinion you're exploiting the game, and I really won't give a damn if my gunfire hits and kills you / gets you killed (and you all know who you are).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 11:56:17 PM by Uranium - 235 »

March 29, 2004, 01:32:48 AM
Reply #16

SaltzBad

• Gorge

• View Profile
DZ, if you want to draw analogies to IRL, that'd be as if you *gasp* actually got annoyed and mentioned some really annoying, lame joke done for the 3000th time to you. Like say if every 2nd guy you met playfully punched you on the shoulder :)

Compare it to a game of soccer. When most people are playing competitively ( sportsmanly - not 'serious'), being a dick on the field won't make you any friends. Sure, there will be times when everyone will be dicking around on the field - just save it for those times, its not so hard.

And yes, I used to play a good bit of soccer. Sucked even harder than I do at NS :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 01:33:09 AM by SaltzBad »

March 29, 2004, 02:44:18 AM
Reply #17

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
personally i love having ff on since it helps me with my aim and i don't really spray and pray as much as i used to.  also it is really annoying getting parasited as a fade with 30 hp 2 times while you are not in healing distance from the hive i swear that is the most annoying thing in the world since you were most likely just in ms killing rines and were just lucky enough to escape to heal.  yes i really don't mine parasites in the begin game since i'm in the hive room but have you ever been parasited to 5 hp 0 armour cause i have and it really sucked since i was really about to go on the offensive but had to hold back  :angry:
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

March 29, 2004, 04:13:47 AM
Reply #18

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
personally i love having ff on since it helps me with my aim and i don't really spray and pray as much as i used to.  also it is really annoying getting parasited as a fade with 30 hp 2 times while you are not in healing distance from the hive i swear that is the most annoying thing in the world since you were most likely just in ms killing rines and were just lucky enough to escape to heal.  yes i really don't mine parasites in the begin game since i'm in the hive room but have you ever been parasited to 5 hp 0 armour cause i have and it really sucked since i was really about to go on the offensive but had to hold back  :angry:
I've been parasited to death several times this way, yeah sure, it's only one parasite, but one parasite while i have 0 armour and little to no health.
Hint: Use Guided Mode for helpful prompts

March 29, 2004, 04:20:42 AM
Reply #19

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Saltzbad said it. A single parasite every few games is not the big deal. But when everyone's constantly punching you on the shoulder, even if it's not hard, that shoulder's gonna be sore after a while. I had a much longer rant ready to go in my head, but I'll leave it at this.