Author Topic: Bad Form  (Read 7867 times)

July 28, 2004, 02:15:32 PM
Read 7867 times

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
if any of you have read peter pan, you'll know that Captain Hook was constantly worried about Bad Form. "Bad form peter!" was one of his catchphrases. that is, doing things that aren't quite right, that aren't proper. so, i'll list what i find to be bad form, if you do these things, please stop, or no meecy treats for you!!!

-always going on the stacked team
-not using random (ok, not always, but most of the time, the regs should be piling in random, it's good form)
-harassing the LM folks of the gentler sex, who do not want to be harassed
-talking poorly or in jest, about anyone's spouse (make fun of me all you want, you talk about mrs. owl, i get MAXIMUM cranky MAXIMUM quickly)

i'll post more as i remember them.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

July 28, 2004, 02:17:50 PM
Reply #1

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
I use random about 5% of the time...

July 28, 2004, 02:32:04 PM
Reply #2

Asal

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
definitely a thing to take into consideration.  I may need to start using that phrase also, just because it fits well...
Asal 'The Unforgiving'
Fedaykin, Warrior of the Desert Mouse

"I will live to be immortal...or die trying!"

July 28, 2004, 02:49:39 PM
Reply #3

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
I don't think I've used anything but random in a very very long time :)

[size=8]and I'm nice, aren't I? o_O [/size]

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

July 28, 2004, 02:57:34 PM
Reply #4

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Very true. We admins can't exactly make iron clad rules that say 'don't skill stack', it's just not possible. What we can do is ask you res slotters to try and keep things even. It's gentlemanly (or properly ladylike) to try and keep the skill of the teams evened up. We have a number of very good players. When they all jump on the same team, the game is over in short order and no one really has any fun.

So, if you consider yourself to have any skill at all, take a look at the teams as you're joining. Are there already a couple good players on marines? Go aliens then. Some great aliens already joined up? Go marines this round! This is, of course, up to your own honor. If you're really a good player, you should have no trouble playing against other good players, instead of stacking with them in order to make your game even easier.

Remember: we're here, first and foremost, to have a good time. If each game was played to win and nothing else, stacking skill would make nothing but sense. But what fun is there in being crushed or in totally crushing the other team? Once again, it's not a rule, because we can't enforce it.

(But I might point and laugh at you if you're too much of a sissy to challenge yourself...  :p )

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

July 28, 2004, 03:42:08 PM
Reply #5

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
Harassment!!!! I feel so violated by that statement!  

I especially like how you added the clause “who do not want to be harassed” – who’s the judge of that?!

;)   Just playing devil’s advocate!  >:D

July 28, 2004, 03:58:05 PM
Reply #6

Lito

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Skill stacking is a huge problem on LM.  Games skill stacked are NOT fun and do not last long.  If you know you can clean up LM, but you're the only one of that kind of skill on, fine, I can't say anything about it.  What can I complain about?  That you're owning us and thats not fair?  Many LM regulars are vets and or clanners and can mop up the server like Bob does with the mop and bucket, and I respect that.  But once you see Lochness, fatty, Tyr, and ebnar (especially on marines) on one team, c'mon...you KNOW you're going to win, grab two players, switch, and maybe a fun game can ensue.

Be considerate of your fellow players and switch!
Go, go, go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
aah - Johnny B. GONE
sig images must not exceed 22kb -DHP

Thanks to Bijiy for help on the sig
Japanese Lesbian Kissing ftw
Waffles aer teh lews.

July 28, 2004, 04:09:52 PM
Reply #7

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
This is, of course, up to your own honor.
Yay! I have honor! ^_^

Remember: we're here, first and foremost, to have a good time. If each game was played to win and nothing else, stacking skill would make nothing but sense.

Let's not take cheap shots now. <---I feel bad now...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 06:19:20 PM by Ness-Earthbound »

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

July 28, 2004, 05:12:27 PM
Reply #8

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Harassment!!!! I feel so violated by that statement!  

I especially like how you added the clause “who do not want to be harassed” – who’s the judge of that?!

;)   Just playing devil’s advocate!  >:D
well, i could just say Athena and be done with it, but that was putting too fine a point on it ;)
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

July 28, 2004, 06:08:59 PM
Reply #9

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
I dont know about you guys, but even if I do stack I still lose, no matter what. and if I win it's by a strok of luck.

but you can be sure that if your on my team well go down mic spamming with hilrity all the wwy down.

(random works like this - If team is short player Ex: 6 -7 you will be put on the 6 team, if teams are equal, youll be put on marines. that's random for you.)

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

July 28, 2004, 06:36:06 PM
Reply #10

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I dont know about you guys, but even if I do stack I still lose, no matter what. and if I win it's by a strok of luck.

but you can be sure that if your on my team well go down mic spamming with hilrity all the wwy down.

perhaps your mic spamming is CAUSING the team to lose? EH?!?! EH!?!?!
-Richard Feynman

July 28, 2004, 07:08:03 PM
Reply #11

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
NO MORE MIC SPAM PLS!!!1111

Ok back on topic!

You don't necesarilly have to have correct form every game though, like say for instance you are a really good marine, and there is one other player who is really good at marine but both of you suck at aliens and every game the other person has beat you to marines, this doesn't mean that you HAVE to go aliens every single time. This merely means that if you find that the good player joined the marines, have some heart and go aliens, but the choice is still yours. You could always talk to the other people up to your skill level and ask politely that you wish to be a marine the next round, but don't want the aliens to get slaughtered.

I still have to say this, you won't get banned for skill stacking, what would get you banned in this situation is if an admin forced you on one team and you repeatedly went back to the other when specifically told not to and then you go and curse the admin out for "being a nazi" when they're just trying to increase the play value.

Admins are here to help you, if something is wrong which you notice and the admin notices yet action still is not taken it probably means that the best action to be taken is none. Like for example, someone joins the server and accidently TKs their teammate not knowing FF is on, then once they know they are in a big firefight and TK another person just shortly after, now this wouldn't mean that they should be banned for TKing unless they turned around and started shooting the marines instead of the aliens in the other direction.

Whew, thats a lot of words!

I reveal penis I know psychology.

July 28, 2004, 07:39:22 PM
Reply #12

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile

perhaps your mic spamming is CAUSING the team to lose? EH?!?! EH!?!?!
come on, thats only when I comm and everyone knows it.

"I cant do ^^ all our damn comm is voice spamming too damn much"

me: OH GOD MY RT!! SAVE THE RT OH GOD!!!

others: oh, bills coming again... easy win.  :-D

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

July 28, 2004, 08:09:03 PM
Reply #13

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
meh, my problem with "omg what team to join??" is that yeah, i'm a good player.  But more often than not, i forget whats going on and end up being a liability, not a help.  And this isnt just one of those "oh its a bad day i suck".  Its a " OH MY GORSH KODIAC HAS HIS NEGATIVE AIMBOT ON AND CANT HIT A STATIONARY SKULK TO SAVE HIS LIFE!!!"  thing.  So i ask before i join, "who wants me?" and that usually works.  (if/wehn teams are even) If loch is one team i join the other out of spite  :p  but me and asal have a problem, he sits 10 feet away and we can hear what each other say...so if hes aliens. then he hears EVERY word i say.  (not waht you say, but what i say)  Its rather straange, but it works.so yaeh, skill/team stacking is a recognized problem, but only induvidual players can do anything aobut it.  (without admin interference, of course)

besides, i like switching teams.  then no matter who wins i was/am on the winning team.

sorry about the rambling, happens when ever i write something
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear
One part comm, one part cheerleader, 3 parts cuddly bear

July 28, 2004, 08:17:22 PM
Reply #14

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
the team with the fewest NCR is the one that i join  :D

July 28, 2004, 08:26:05 PM
Reply #15

Guspaz

• Reserved Slot
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • https://retrostuff.ca
I don't use Random... because I go Alien 2/3 of the time. It's always been this way for 2 years, which is why I'm better at Alien than Marine.

July 28, 2004, 08:44:11 PM
Reply #16

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I rarely try to counter skillstacking, but when I do, that is the only time I don't use random (either way, I don't have the skill to counter a skillstack)
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

July 28, 2004, 10:57:18 PM
Reply #17

EmperorPenguin

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Personally, I do my best to balance the team skills by joining the better team  :p

I often random just because I make a habit of joining the smaller team.  I know with the calibre of players here that three or four on any team can have a big impact.  When the server has a lot of no-reserves, sometimes the reserves will tend to congregate.  But who doesn't want to play with the people they know and trust?

Just remember that it's the balanced and close games that are the most entertaining.
"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby?  Maybe we'll never know."

July 29, 2004, 02:30:20 AM
Reply #18

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
When the server has a lot of no-reserves, sometimes the reserves will tend to congregate.  But who doesn't want to play with the people they know and trust?

Just remember that it's the balanced and close games that are the most entertaining.
You figured out the reason for this topic! Ah-ha!

But yeah, if you're bad and you join the team with better players you're balancing the game too :D. But there always is the factor of the 'uber' players who are much better than your average player who tend to make a large difference even if the majority of their team is comprised of nublets :D.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

July 29, 2004, 02:49:05 AM
Reply #19

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
when i join the stacked team, i'll crush myself under the hera reception door repeatedly