Author Topic: Unbanned From Naturalselection.org Forums  (Read 5077 times)

October 04, 2004, 04:47:55 PM
Read 5077 times

scooter-blue

About four months after getting banned from the NS.org forum, the moderators there were nice enough to lift my suspension.  I have to admit that I honestly never thought this would happen.  I'm grateful to them for my second chance.

I'm also grateful to the Lunixmonster community, because this has been my NS home since then, and you guys have been unprejudiced toward me despite my shady history.

I don't know what impact Redford and Bob had on this decision, but let me say regardless of that they've been welcoming and fair to me since I first came here.

The NS.org moderators thought it best that I have my name changed there to at least partially obscure my identity to curb flames, so my new one is blueback.

So, once again, thanks to everyone here at LM and thanks to the NS.org admins  :)

Here's the open letter that I sent to the NS.org moderators a couple days ago requesting an unban:

Dear NS.org forum administrators:

I'd like to respectfully and formally request a review of the suspension of my forum priviliges.  I'm not asking a review of whether the suspension was justified--far from it.  I understand and appreciate why I was banned.  I understand that I disregarded the forum's official code of conduct and undermined a common level of forum decency and etiquette.  I'm not here to question the judgement of the admins but rather to ask forgiveness for my actions and to appeal to the mercy of those I offended.  I apologize for what I did and would like to assure the admins with whatever credibility I have left that, given a another chance, I would not repeat my previous inappropriate actions.  It's been about four months since my last visit to the NS.org forums, and I'd like to humbly request a probationary reinstatement of my forum priviliges.

My efforts back in May to reform the forum, despite how misguided they may have been, were in the best of intentions.  I, just like the board's moderators, want what's best for the Natural Selection community.  I made a grave miscalculation in how best to go about achieving that goal when re-posting deleted posts, evading bans, and PM'ing users my posts, but my objective was to make the world of NS better for everyone.  In retrospect I was wrong in the specifics of my suggestions and in the way I went about making them, but my intentions were pure.  So the question I pose is whether I'm the kind of person that needs to be banned from the forum.  I'm a loyal member of the community--and have been since May 2003--that got out of line, learned his lesson, and is sorry.  So, I apologize and ask your forgiveness.

P.S. if it helps any, here's a rather biased account of my banning that I wrote back in May:
http://nsforumreform.proboards21.com/index...&num=1085918971
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 04:49:17 PM by scooter-blue »

October 04, 2004, 05:07:11 PM
Reply #1

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
;)

Now go forth and make the world a better place, good sir.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

October 04, 2004, 10:38:30 PM
Reply #2

Slink

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
i once got banned from a cs server for getting on the server, saying "I want to eat a baby."

I think i was on the server for maybe 15 seconds total...

EDIT: whoa, just noticed title.  eek!  oh, suppose i should say something on topic too.  um, glad to have you at lunixmonster, and good luck on the forums?  i think that works.  happy hunting :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 10:44:03 PM by Slink »
"That's a rather tender subject.  Another slice anyone?"

*Warning: Content May Not Be "G" Rated.  And it may be morally reprehensible, to boot.

October 05, 2004, 04:03:02 AM
Reply #3

Redford

• Legacy Admin
  • Gorge

• View Profile
The ban was lifted because:

1. You are behaving here, and I am part of this community, so I let them know you are.

2. You realised what you did and made an apology for it.

Now, please remeber to uphold YOUR end of it - actually behaving.

October 05, 2004, 07:46:06 AM
Reply #4

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Wow. If all people were like you, I'd be out of a job. Not that LB is paying me...

October 05, 2004, 08:13:20 AM
Reply #5

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
We admins of the world get paid in the love and respect of the people we watch over, making every day a little bit better for them.

And if you believe that, there's a bridge or two I'd like to sell you.  :p

October 05, 2004, 08:53:12 AM
Reply #6

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
really i've always wanted to own a couple bridges :p

anyways scooter keep to your word in the apology and no bad reprocussions should happen
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

October 05, 2004, 09:43:52 AM
Reply #7

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
wewt for scooter!

now we just have to get him slotted, he has stuck around and been productive >:D  <3
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

October 05, 2004, 07:29:35 PM
Reply #8

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Nice letter there scooter. Glad to hear you were unbanned.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

October 08, 2004, 12:55:07 AM
Reply #9

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
nothing goes on the ns forums anyways.. only cool place is off topic.

October 08, 2004, 03:22:38 AM
Reply #10

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I imagine then that if I probably tried hard enough to, I could get unbanned as well :p

October 08, 2004, 10:16:27 AM
Reply #11

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
sure you could, just e-mail nem0 and explain what your horrible grievance was that got you banned, and then plea for some redemption and voila.

I seem to recall you angered monse with uploading your sig, then re-uploading it, and then having a ulatoh style sig war. >:D
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.

October 08, 2004, 01:22:09 PM
Reply #12

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Nah that was different, according to the ban ticket it was for making fun of Beast. I don't think I'll ever be able to apologize for that though :)

October 08, 2004, 01:24:36 PM
Reply #13

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
ah, that makes sense

Beast is quite an interesting person, to say the least

***howls***

okay enough hijacking, back to talk about scooter :)

October 08, 2004, 02:50:54 PM
Reply #14

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Nah that was different, according to the ban ticket it was for making fun of Beast. I don't think I'll ever be able to apologize for that though :)
[snapback]30732[/snapback]
Word it correctly. There's a difference between saying "I was wrong and beast was right and didn't deserve my insults." and saying "The way I phrased myself was poorly chosen and I intend to keep my personal thoughts to myself in the future." I wouldn't see anything wrong with that. And it's not like we can ask anyone not to have opinions. Just not sharing those opinions when all they'll do is lead to a flamey mess is all we ask.

October 08, 2004, 04:12:56 PM
Reply #15

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I can copy 'The Best of the PR Forum' and use those... you know, the ones that are like 'Unban me yo'.

October 10, 2004, 06:43:01 PM
Reply #16

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
do just that

make it a stickied thread in the pr forums >:D

October 10, 2004, 09:57:37 PM
Reply #17

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I don't quite see a reason to want to be unbanned in the NS boards...

October 11, 2004, 10:08:40 AM
Reply #18

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
maybe it's the offical forums for the mod that we all play and have joined other forums becuase off?

maybe being banned weighs heavy on the mind?

becuase it's a decent place?

October 11, 2004, 10:12:00 AM
Reply #19

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I don't quite see a reason to want to be unbanned in the NS boards...
[snapback]30955[/snapback]
Go compare the ns forums to the cs forums or the steampowered forums. The ns.org forums are pretty damned good for gamer forums that tend to have a lot of kids and teenangsters frequenting them. Off-topic is usually interesting and full of worthwhile chatter, and the Discussions section is something that you won't find anywhere else. Sorry if you personally have decided to dislike them, but some people are working pretty hard to make them worthwhile.