Author Topic: Gish  (Read 2632 times)

September 02, 2004, 05:11:39 AM
Read 2632 times

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Yesterday, I'll admit: I was on newgrounds.  NO NO DON'T YELL AT ME!  I WAS JUST LOOKING AT THE MISTER HAPPY FACE VIDEO AGAIN D: D: D:  Anywho, I saw an advertisement for some strange game that was apparently reviewed in PCGamer.  So, I clicked.

And lemme tell you - this is a game that has to be seen to be believed.  It's a 2-d platformer with so many irresistibly swank features that you just HAVE to try it out.

So what's the hold-up?  <3

September 02, 2004, 08:52:58 AM
Reply #1

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
ah, it's made by the same people who made Pontifex, which is a brigdebuilder game, where your brigde have to sustain the pressure of a train or similar, quite fun really - untill the point you get stuck :p. but i'll try to check it out.

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

September 02, 2004, 09:08:21 AM
Reply #2

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
Saw Gish, thought SMashing Pumpkins....

My hopes are crushed, I'll skulk away now...
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

September 02, 2004, 09:17:54 AM
Reply #3

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile

September 02, 2004, 10:06:00 AM
Reply #4

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
now grayduck, that would count as spam :p

however, now to say something about the game, since people might be wondering what it is before they download.

In the game you control a black blob, this might seem somewhat boring, but no! This blob is able to stick to walls, jumps, slide(this is used to go through narrow, downward passages, and to move a bit faster) and Heavy(makes you heavy...). You use these abilities to navigate a sewer kind area, at first you're just introduced the simply basics, then you get a level with a wagon and some swinging and fancy stuff. and in the third level(the level i got to just now), you get opponents. that's really all i have to say atm, but it's a pretty simple game, but it has some quite nice features really.

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

September 02, 2004, 10:55:44 AM
Reply #5

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Just downloading to give it a go now ^^

Um... is it just me or does anyone else find gish almost totally out of place compared to the other stuff the company has produced?  All the other titles are kinda... uh... 'not creative looking' =3

September 02, 2004, 03:56:18 PM
Reply #6

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Bridge builder was an awesome game. Pontifex was also an awesome game. Gish, I could take or leave. It was cute for a while, but the controls were odd and all the button mashing required to get over the next area was a bit trying. But I notice they have some new bridge building games out that I haven't tried yet... Time to go plunge more hapless trains into watery graves.  :D

Edit: EW! The new bridge building game requires an NVidia card. GG false 'requirements'. So much for playing that.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 06:08:20 PM by BobTheJanitor »

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

September 03, 2004, 06:38:06 PM
Reply #7

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I propped this game months ago on the NS forums and got totally shot down  :(

I always liked the concept of a 2D platformer with semi realistic physics.  Gish was fun, but the little black ball was a little harder to control than I would have hoped...
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

September 03, 2004, 11:48:00 PM
Reply #8

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
it's not really hard :p, not for me at least, what's the thing you can't figure out?

September 04, 2004, 01:01:17 PM
Reply #9

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
it's not really hard :p, not for me at least, what's the thing you can't figure out?
[snapback]28229[/snapback]
I'm not saying it was really difficult or there was something that I just couldn't pull off, I was just hopeing the controls would be a little more intuitive.  As it stands it generally takes a good few seconds to really get anywhere new in a level, moving up different surfaces takes alot more button mashing and control tweaking than I would have hoped.  I just wish the little ball felt more lightweight and manuverable than he does...
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL