Author Topic: Tankefugl's Blink Mod!  (Read 6798 times)

September 22, 2004, 08:37:02 PM
Reply #20

Malibu Stacey

• Skulk

• View Profile
you're right that does sound cheesy.

September 25, 2004, 03:57:23 AM
Reply #21

SheenaYanai

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.tokyo-marui.co.jp/index2.html
that blink mod sounds cool..  

because the name FADE is no longer justified for that class..  because everyone can cloak, and the fading away by blinking is also no longer given....

this would made the fade "fading" again

September 27, 2004, 01:39:51 PM
Reply #22

E-Fonzarelli

• Skulk

• View Profile
Let me clarify a few things.  I don't know a whole lot about coding, and even less about the half-life engine.  so i'm not really sure if this is possible, but by blur effect, i'm thinking simply making several of the same model without hitboxes, offset from the real model.  More complex would be to get a different model, and have it switch to that when you blink, but that soundsmuch more difficult to me.

What if you just made the fade instantly cloak when it was mid blink?

I mean shizzle... we've all tried to hit a blinking fade, and its not really possible to track one unless you are cheating or just plain lucky, or, like me, the fade has its moments where it gets frustrated and flubbers on a corner and gets stuck.

So... that being said, being invisible ONLY while you actually have the blink function in use - i'm not talking about "normal" blinking becuase we all know a good fade will never run out of adren while blinking, so it would have to be only while they were holding the button down...  

Now, you are probably saying - thats stupid, but think about it...  when a fade wants to blink out and get the fark out of somewhere in a hurry, the instant cloaking of it - even for a quarter of a second, would be really neat.  It might just confuse marines in where it was going - or, if you had a fade coming towards you, and it blinked, it might just disapear and start slashing you from the back.

Just a though.

September 27, 2004, 01:42:28 PM
Reply #23

E-Fonzarelli

• Skulk

• View Profile
It's a flaw in the physics engine that when you turn/strafe whatever in mid air while moving, you gain speed in a new direction.

Actually, since HL is based on the quake 1 engine, and john carmack has said that it is something he left in the game purposely, I wouldn't call it a flaw.  I would call it valve's programming.   :ph34r:

September 28, 2004, 07:32:00 AM
Reply #24

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well...
In the real world, you can't really change direction while in midair. You can twist and bend your body and use inertia to turn yourself around even though the minimal friction that air provides doesn't really make for a good support of movement, but that's pretty much it. You can't kick off the air to provide extra movement, and you can't voluntarily slow yourself down. While in midair, only two forces are in effect: Air friction, which slows you down in whatever direction you're moving, and gravity, which speeds up your downward motion. You could make swimming motions to propel yourself forward or slow yourself down, but as air friction is so relatively minimal, so would the speed gain or loss be, so it's safe to ignore this.

In Half-Life, you have much greater control over your movement while in the air. You can speed up a little, and you can slow down almost instantly. You can jump directly upwards, then press forward in the air and land a little in front of your previous position. You can jump forward, then press backwards and stop in midair. And so on. This makes the exploit known as bunnyhopping possible. You can bunnyhop because you can do things that you can't do in the real world.

Why can you do this, though? Well, let's say you have to jump from one platform to another, a task that applies to both the real world and to Half-Life (although you do it a lot more in Half-Life). Both platforms are one by one meter, and there's two meters between them. In the real world, it's a comparatively simple task for somebody who has even the most basic control over his own body: Step back as far as you can, take a running start of one or two steps (there isn't really room for more), then jump. Because you have a lot of experience with how your body functions and what it's capable of, it's very easy to jump two meters (or two and a half to land right in the middle of the platform) with great precision. You can finely tune the forward and upward speed of the jump to get the exact trajectory you need.

This fine control is lacking in Half-Life because of the simplistic controls. You can pick between two forward speeds (walk and run) and a grand total of one upward speed (hit the jump key). So basically, you have two possible forward jumps to choose from, versus the almost infinite variety of jumps you can make in the real world. Needless to say, this could make jumping puzzles unnecessarily frustrating if you didn't have a few extra options. Say you have to make a jump: You're not sure whether a walking jump will carry you the necessary distance, and you're afraid of overshooting the target if you make a running jump. Without air control, you'd have a problem. With air control, you simply make the running jump, then hit backward to stop your forward motion as soon as you're over the spot where you want to land. That's why we have air control in Half-Life (and other first-person shooters), and because air control is pretty illogical by itself, it's hard to guard against exploiting it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 07:32:59 AM by lolfighter »

September 28, 2004, 03:58:29 PM
Reply #25

tankefugl (in a tent)

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://tankefugl.imagonia.org/
E-Fonzarelli: Please check out http://www.natural-selection.org/forums/in...showtopic=80722 for the latest version. It does exactly what you suggest in your post.
come invincible.

lolfighter: As for air movement, you can actually do that in real life too. Use the torque of your body, and you'll curl because of the air friction. Not that you'll ever notice it while jumping, though ;)

September 28, 2004, 05:01:45 PM
Reply #26

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
    • http://
At a fast enough speed, you can channel air resistance to a direction, thus aerodynamics. This is the concept behind rudders (in water and air, they're both fluids), fins, flaps, and spoilers.

Unfortunately, These are only useful at high speeds. The only thing in NS that might come close to it being any sort of a factor is a celerity fade blinking. And even then, the form of the fade is not suited to direct airflow in any useful manner. Even at a fade's speed, the directional power is minimal.

Now, as for the Lerk. He's a whole different story. He not only has wings that apparently provide a constant lift force, but he also flaps to provide thrust. his wings are specifically designed to control air flow around them, therefore controlling the direction of the air resistance. Using this, he can twist and turn and change directions midflight.

NS has those that shouldn't be affected by air control (but are) and those that are that are designed as if they are (even though code-wise, a lerk's flight isn't controlled propellent and air force)

Now from a gameplay perspective, Air control is quite an acceptable (and preferable) concept. Such as explained by lolfighter, air control is almost necessary to compensate for the user's lack of actual player control by using simpistic controls.

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

September 28, 2004, 06:33:51 PM
Reply #27

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
You know, I bet this is why lerks can't strafe in flight. If they could they could use air control to gain speed as they turned corners, instead of losing it. And that would be scary...

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

September 28, 2004, 07:20:55 PM
Reply #28

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
You know, I bet this is why lerks can't strafe in flight. If they could they could use air control to gain speed as they turned corners, instead of losing it. And that would be scary...
[snapback]29890[/snapback]
Lerks, like other objects of flight, have three movement options, Roll, Pitch, and Yaw. (notice how strafing is not among the movement, and for good reason)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 07:21:28 PM by Satiagraha »

September 28, 2004, 10:21:46 PM
Reply #29

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Oh just go ahead and derail everything further!  :p  Of course lerks couldn't really 'strafe' in flight, but they could roll to one side or the other in order to move in that direction. I wonder what a fully realistic flying system would feel like in NS. If you actually had to roll to the side and then look 'up' to turn. I bet it would split the love/hate of the flight system even more harshly.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

September 29, 2004, 08:10:52 AM
Reply #30

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
[...]lolfighter: As for air movement, you can actually do that in real life too. Use the torque of your body, and you'll curl because of the air friction. Not that you'll ever notice it while jumping, though ;)[...]
[snapback]29875[/snapback]
[...]You can twist and bend your body and use inertia to turn yourself around even though the minimal friction that air provides doesn't really make for a good support of movement, but that's pretty much it.[...]You could make swimming motions to propel yourself forward or slow yourself down, but as air friction is so relatively minimal, so would the speed gain or loss be, so it's safe to ignore this.[...]
[snapback]29812[/snapback]
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 08:11:12 AM by lolfighter »

October 01, 2004, 09:00:00 AM
Reply #31

Malibu Stacey

• Skulk

• View Profile
Problem lies in comparing Lerks to earth dwelling flying things. They could make the Lerk strafe while flying and attribute it to the difference of where the Lerk evolved. They are called Aliens for a reason (unless the backstory turns out to be something horribly camp like the ending for the Star Wars New Jedi Order or the Zerg from Starcraft).

October 01, 2004, 09:40:12 AM
Reply #32

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
Aliens are still bound by the laws of physics. Physics is universal.

/offtopic

Tank, How goes the blinking? Where can I get teh latest version?

October 02, 2004, 10:16:36 PM
Reply #33

Malibu Stacey

• Skulk

• View Profile
Yes Physics is universal but again you're assuming Lerks use aerofoils like every other earth dwelling object that flies to create lift. If they evolved in different circumstances than those on earth then it is concievable that they could have different methods to become airborne other than using aerofoils.

October 02, 2004, 10:57:55 PM
Reply #34

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
Are you suggesting bioelectric anti-grav? That's an interesting idea.

Yes, my assumptions were based on simplistic biomechanics. I hadn't thought of other more advanced forms of attaning flight.

Then again, Go Lerk strafing! The NS dev team said themselves that realism is at the very bottom of thier priorities. It's all about gameplay and atmosphere. So wheeee, I can't wait til strafing :D (even though they most likely won't impliment it...)

October 03, 2004, 07:37:42 AM
Reply #35

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Except their wings look awfully much like, uh, wings. Of course, they might be decor, but I'm inclined to believe that they use 'em to fly with...
Think hummingbirds, though. They can not only "strafe" (fly sideways), but also hover in midair. There's no reason to believe that you are limited to flying forwards just because you use wings for generating lift. It all depends on what kind of wings you have.

October 19, 2004, 02:42:08 AM
Reply #36

DynamicPerformance

• Lerker

• View Profile
Heh, hummingbirds are awesome... :help:

//ontopic

I think that fades are overpowered as it is, not that i'm a particularly good one, but the average (I know, we're not ALL super-beings) player can't kill one by him/herself, let alone with 2-3 other marines helping.

So maybe, less armor and health? not too much just a little.
I'm trying to brainstorm some of the disadvantages to go with the new advantage of a invisible blink.  

Realism rocks! :D

Dynamicman out...
Sorry, but while the dimensions on your sig are just right, it's a little big. See if you can compress it a little to get below the 22kb limit. -lolfighter