Author Topic: The Cool People  (Read 12136 times)

August 20, 2004, 08:46:53 AM
Reply #20

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
Yeah, I've sadly almost HAD to stack marines lately, with my lag problems. (which I'm sure EVERYONE has heard me whine about at least once by now) With marines, dropping a packet and turning into a statue for a second is only sometimes deadly. With aliens, where it always seems to happen just as you're closing the gap to attack the marine, it's always deadly. At least on marines I can still play somewhat, or comm, where lag doesn't hurt as bad. I miss fade fun!  :(

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

August 20, 2004, 09:58:27 AM
Reply #21

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
lito: yes, what you say is true. but i'm hoping to appeal to the more selfish motives as well, evening teams makes for better games. BETTAR GAMEZ0rs!!!

and for those of you who want the BoP back, it's not coming back, we've too many threads about it, and LB has already said no (IIRC). let it go, you must become your own BoP (whoa, zen babay).
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

August 20, 2004, 11:37:57 AM
Reply #22

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
I normally always go random...

Code: [Select]
bind ALT autoassign
But, as I just posted in Lito's post, as far as I'm concerned, stacking is killing this community for me. If you could care less whether rad plays on LM or not, that's fine, but at least realize when you constantly skill stack, it's not fun for new players, and regulars alike.

Good luck fixing this, though, I'd love to be able to join LM and have a good game.
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

August 20, 2004, 11:54:51 AM
Reply #23

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
yeah the only time i can get a good game is when theyres mostly all regs on :/, so i dont really play much anymore unless its packed it regs almost
-_^

August 20, 2004, 12:12:02 PM
Reply #24

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I'll tell you what else is killing the community, its deliberately dragging out endgames.

Just sat for 20 mins versus a devour camping onos. Devour camping, nothing else. The rest was a lerk, fade, some skulks, who didnt enter base but sat around the corner and killed anyone who left.

Not spawncamping, but not fun either. Finally had to wait for a non asshat to join, go Onos, and wipe our MS out (thx Clashen for ending it).

Seriously folks, whats the magic of sieging a hive despite being an HA train at full tech? How fun is devour camping or getting half the team as fade to float through MS and maybe swipe a few people on occasion, when you could all bail in and wipe MS out.

Sigh.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

August 20, 2004, 12:25:05 PM
Reply #25

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Seriously folks, whats the magic of sieging a hive despite being an HA train at full tech?
[snapback]26894[/snapback]

well, i've had my share of experiences where that has fallen at a hive, even if its 1 hive. ha isn't godmode in a 24/7 fighting situation >_>

August 20, 2004, 12:38:57 PM
Reply #26

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Sometimes things go wrong, catch a few on the reload and suddenly it's good bye HA train and another 5 minutes to kit out and walk back there.

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

August 20, 2004, 12:44:15 PM
Reply #27

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I havn't been playing on the server much because of the constant stacking; It isn't fun going 4 games in a row, losing each one because most of the regs stack the other team and I do what I can to not stack. I usually end up finding a random co_ pub server to play on.

August 20, 2004, 01:11:23 PM
Reply #28

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I'll tell you what else is killing the community, its deliberately dragging out endgames.

Just sat for 20 mins versus a devour camping onos. Devour camping, nothing else. The rest was a lerk, fade, some skulks, who didnt enter base but sat around the corner and killed anyone who left.

Not spawncamping, but not fun either. Finally had to wait for a non asshat to join, go Onos, and wipe our MS out (thx Clashen for ending it).

Seriously folks, whats the magic of sieging a hive despite being an HA train at full tech? How fun is devour camping or getting half the team as fade to float through MS and maybe swipe a few people on occasion, when you could all bail in and wipe MS out.

Sigh.

If someone's honestly prolonging the game for no good reason, feel free to come get an admin in IRC. Spawncamping right outside the doors to MS forever is nearly as bad as sitting right over the IP. We (almost) have a rule about not prolonging the game or using any humiliation tactics (if someone would ever update the rules *COUGH*) so if anyone is doing that, feel free to inform an admin. But tread carefully. There's a distinct difference between annoying prolonging of the game, and intelligent buildup to be able to attack a MS camped out with three tfacs and a bunch of HA with HMGs. There's few things more annoying to me than someone saying "OMGZ ALIUMS END GAME ALREADY" while at the same time emptying an HMG at anything that pokes its head into MS. If you want to keep fighting, fine, but don't keep fighting for life while yelling "KILL ME!" unless you want me to assume that you're schizophrenic and proceed to bash your head with a mallet. (I go for the old school of psychiatry)

Secondary point: HAs are a lot more suited to sieging hives. They're big, they're slow, they're good at guarding one area. Smart comms will use an HA train to get TO the hive, and then will sit in the hall and siege. If they wanted to do a frontal assault, they'd have sent JPs and Shotguns. HA/HMG is for alien killing, not hive killing. Thus, the siege.  ;)

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

August 20, 2004, 01:15:54 PM
Reply #29

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net

you should be taking down names. that is COMPLETELY crossing all sorts of LM rules, most notably the llama rule. take names, tell them you will report if they don't end. 20 mins not ending (i.e. if there is nothing but ips left) is totally unacceptable.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

August 20, 2004, 01:57:39 PM
Reply #30

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
Secondary point: HAs are a lot more suited to sieging hives. They're big, they're slow, they're good at guarding one area. Smart comms will use an HA train to get TO the hive, and then will sit in the hall and siege. If they wanted to do a frontal assault, they'd have sent JPs and Shotguns. HA/HMG is for alien killing, not hive killing. Thus, the siege.  ;)
[snapback]26904[/snapback]

Most of the time, the marines decide they'd like to prolong the game as well. It's one thing to have heavies setting up seiges outside the hive, but it's another thing entirely to have them setting up an entirely new base, complete with armory, arms lab, observatory, electrified turret factory, phase gate, and 20 sentry turrets close to the hive, but not close enough to seige it. The most common place for this to happen is in Chemical Processing on ns_tanith, where there's a lot of room for a lot of stuff, and only one way out for gorges and onos. After the new mini-base is up and running, the heavies march into the left path and start setting up another mini-base in the niche in the wall (the spot that usually gets blown open when the satellite is welded), complete with another 20 turrets, armory, etc...

August 20, 2004, 03:02:16 PM
Reply #31

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I take names but I give a game or 2's grace. I mean as others have said, sometimes its just bias because you're getting hammered and you're killing time til the end of the round.

Yes I was shooting the onos with an LMG, but he kept coming back for a rine time and again. Now if he'd hit the tfac right off the bat then we'd have been toast so much faster.

But I digress. If you stress over these things you'll just die young. We've all seen smacktard stuff, hehe.

August 20, 2004, 03:29:08 PM
Reply #32

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
We seem to have a topic on stacking in 5 forums now :D

August 20, 2004, 05:01:33 PM
Reply #33

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
yeah... well thats because stacking ruins games so its quite noticeable :p
-_^

August 20, 2004, 09:11:36 PM
Reply #34

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah Grimm, HA trains don't work perfect. When I used to comm, a lot of the marines would not act sensibly and weld, etc. They weren't careful enough and died a lot.  Get a couple of seiges up, then enter the hive.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

August 20, 2004, 10:56:51 PM
Reply #35

Decimator

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
That was likely me, Necrosis.  I attempted to get in a few times, but there were too many rines shooting me and nobody else seemed to want to come until the other onos came in.  At that point I went after the tfac and all was good in the world.  Didn't help that nobody would put up the third hive either...
Alert code one.  The temperature is twenty degrees below zero.

August 21, 2004, 02:53:19 PM
Reply #36

JimRaynor

• Lerker

• View Profile
I mentioned in another topic that skill stacking was the worst problem (and possibly one of the only problems) that LM has. The thing is that when you complain about skill stacking it is rare that anyone says anything besides "quit your bitchin and play the game." Fact is that if you have 4 clan members and two regs versus a reg and 5 people new to the server you might as well be saying "quit your bitching and wait for us to kill you"
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 02:53:45 PM by JimRaynor »
The difference between obsessive gaming and casual gaming is in the tone of your voice when you die as an onos egg, mine is somewhere around 90db.[/font]

August 21, 2004, 03:43:07 PM
Reply #37

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Plus you can't complain if you're on the (as you see it) disadvantaged side. Because it'll inevitably be called whining.

Sometimes it's hard to call something skill stacking or not. From my viewpoint, devour camping was just poor, since the marines were all parked beside the IP and tfac. But from someone else's viewpoint it was a legitimate play because as they saw it the rines were an easier target.

And noone would know which way an admin would swing on the issue. Thats why most times people are reluctant to claim abuse, I imagine.

August 21, 2004, 05:36:08 PM
Reply #38

Zek

• Lerker

• View Profile
I'm going to have to jump on the Bind of Pain bandwagon here. Can someone explain to me what was so problematic about it that it was removed in favor of skillstacking?

The only reason people are stubborn about going Random is because they know the majority of the server isn't going to follow suit. Random will always throw you on the team that's being stacked against, if there is one. If we could convince more of the regulars to do it then there would be no problem, but right now it seems to be an unpopular option. Going Random is basically the equivalent of putting your fate in the hands of the rest of the server, and nobody trusts anybody else enough to do that.

August 21, 2004, 06:11:22 PM
Reply #39

Clashen

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile

Sigh.

Just doin' my job, ma'm.
<snip>, your sig image is, or rather was i suppose, 48kb, max size is 22kb. - DHP
<zing>, your mom is, or rather was i suppose, 200kg, max size is 100kg LOL - clashen