Author Topic: Why I Love Lunixmonster  (Read 6551 times)

January 05, 2004, 10:23:59 PM
Read 6551 times

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I just had what I can officially and honestly say was undoubtably the best game of NS I've ever had.

(This recap is in brief. The actual game lasted well over an hour, with the HAs coming out roughly 1/3 of the way to give you some perspective. Furthermore this is all from my PoV and anything that crack informed me of, so it's missing parts :))

Our commander was 'crack', our team was almost 50% newbies ("What's a PG?" "Where's CC?" Yeah.). I immediately get sloted into squad 5 with a couple other guys ([JFF] Kirby, Anarki, myself, and Alucard2). We started up and I run out to grab some nodes, generally it's nothing exciting in the early game. Unfortunately we hit a few roadblocks. The other team vastly outskilled us and delayed the critical early-game expansion. We locked down eclipse and sieged down Computer Core, long long after we should've (Their main hive was Maint). Crack's successes usually rely on early game strategic victories (I might add I've never lost a game he's commed)

At this point we have level 3 upgrades, but not much else. We've got a decent res flow coming in. Then the inevitable happens: Onos. He beats down eclipse and they quickly take it. However, a gorge never actually found his way to build the hive at the time. Before we know what's going on our nodes are down and we're scrabbling for scraps. We lose CC, and the hive goes up. This is the end, right? The onos was literally at our door.

In desperation crack tells me he's going to trust the whole game on me. I get a shotty and jetpack and I'm sent to maint hive. I land on top and, unfortunately, the medspam came a second too late, and a skulk eats me. Fortunately I managed to pull the entire alien team away from our base: Victory in Death!

Crack pulls us through and we miraculously beat our way to eclipse where the hive is finishing. We're almost down and... xenocides around. Crack's sweating bullets watching us try to take it down with LMGs and I'm hiding behind a bunker of upgrade chambers (nyah nyah). We all die, eventually, and we're thinking this is it.

Enter Squad 5.

We sweep in in vanilla gear with stock ammo. Quickly neutralize the MC so they can't teleport to the hive and wipe out the opposition. Then we all stand back and fill the hive with a FMJ sandwich. It falls. (This is actually the part where I got my most fantastic kill chain. I killed a lerk with my full LMG clip, emptied my pistol into a skulk, turned, and knifed an escaping skulk out of the air :))

We have pretty much full tech now and our economy is recovering. Then... surprise! Another onos! Good god! We fight back to CC (Same place we sieged from last time) and trick the onos with a diversion. This gave us roughly a minute to get a PG up and Siege. After fighting back and forth the sieges went up, and the hive goes down! Woohoo! Now we're in a rut. Eclipse will not hold long, and we don't have time to get CC secure because there's an onos coming.

Wait... onos - hive 1 - no stomp :) I dicker with crack and Squad 5 gets a suit of HA and HMGs. We march on maint hive and kill one onos. The second onos devours me, and squad 5 cuts it down, freeing me. We move into maintenance and set up a PG and get ready to siege when we get ambushed during a reload and lots of skulks wipe us out.

Little did we know we were fighting the Kharra equivilant of the US Army Corps of Engineers. These tenacious little gorges just would not quit. We find out eclipse is going back up, and we're back to swatting skulks out of the sky.

I hear briefly on voice comm something about onoses. I phase back to base and there's 2 onoses beating away at the base. I didn't score a kill for either as I ran out of ammo but they died just a second after I ran dry and another HA phased through. Squad 5 saves the base!

I move back (Gunning down even more onos along the way) and we retake eclipse... again. Then it's back to computer core... where we take it again. The aliens were literally rolling in resources: Computer Core had 8 DCs and OCs around it: Similar setups in Maint hive, at South Loop, and Horseshoe. We actually managed to lose eclipse, and Response Force 5 quickly responds and takes out the trash.

I actually managed to get devoured again and my buddies freed me.

We actively move into maint hive, and I'm chanting 'Ride of the Valkyries' over voice comm. We move in and we get cut down: It's just me, Kirby, and Alucard now. After a minute-long skirmish...

*Ping*... *Ping*...

Here's the scoreboard at the very end. The aliens were unhappily joking that it was Kharra vs. Uranium. Crack said he had almost died in the chair, and I was completely exhausted as well. He attributed the entire success to Squad 5 :)

END:

We killed probably 6 or 7 hives (I feel like I'm missing a huge chunk of the game up there...).
My kills:
Skulks - Dozens... lots and lots of dozens.
Gorges - Probably 5 or 6.
Lerks - 5, I believe.
Fades - Surprisingly, Fades never really showed up in this game. I did see a couple but only managed the kill on one.
Onos - Christ we killed probably somewhere around 8 onos, 2 of which were my kills, and I take credit for the onos at base, so 3.8 :)

Grats to crack, you are my new hero. Also, grats to the tenacious aliens, you fought very hard and had me thinking we had completely lost the game... three times actually :)

GG

January 06, 2004, 04:20:14 AM
Reply #1

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
It sounds like it was a a long, but good game. Good job to everyone.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

January 06, 2004, 06:58:49 AM
Reply #2

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
Crack is one persistant mutha, I must say that. I couldn't believe how many times I heard 'PG up at eclipse'. Always the same spot too. We'd tear it down, congratulate ourselves, and then 30 seconds later 'Our hive is under attack!' So good job to everyone for not being afraid to keep doing something until it worked. We were doing pretty good until lolfighter left, I think he took the team morale with him. I was one of the onos that tried the desperate run on base. Unfortunately between me and the other onos we seemed to get in the way more than help eachother out. Two people who seemed to be afk at base suddenly woke up when we rumbled past them and started goring the PG. Ow, trapped between level 3 weapons and a bunch of heavies and me without my stomp.

So good job to you (although I notice you didn't include in your story the part about Bob taking down HAs with his skulky bite... or singlehandedly defending the hive from LAs as an angry gorgey) but still, it was a harrowing tale of bravery, and I'm glad I had a part in it.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

January 06, 2004, 07:48:22 AM
Reply #3

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Oh, that game? I thought it might be, but I didn't recognize it.

January 06, 2004, 11:27:47 AM
Reply #4

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
So good job to you (although I notice you didn't include in your story the part about Bob taking down HAs with his skulky bite... or singlehandedly defending the hive from LAs as an angry gorgey) but still, it was a harrowing tale of bravery, and I'm glad I had a part in it.
lol like I said, I'm not sure what else was going on. Every second of this game was fighting, I completely ignored the kill icons on the side after a while.

And god you gorges were a pain in the ass. You... wouldn't... STOP!

January 06, 2004, 11:54:37 AM
Reply #5

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I notice this is where a lot of commanders fall short. If you take a hive, lock that mother DOWN. Unless it's end game and your heavy train can immediately RUN to the next hive and smash it, you've GOT to take the time to PG and Elec and turret up the hive. Or for those low on res, leave a couple LAs behind so at least you have a skulk/gorge defense and someone to scream if a bigger lifeform comes along. Of course I can't blame crack too much for this, as he did leave his siege locations up with PGs but we kept tearing them down. I swear that siege spot in the end of the hall next to computer core went up at least 10 times....

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

January 06, 2004, 12:36:19 PM
Reply #6

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I notice this is where a lot of commanders fall short. If you take a hive, lock that mother DOWN. Unless it's end game and your heavy train can immediately RUN to the next hive and smash it, you've GOT to take the time to PG and Elec and turret up the hive. Or for those low on res, leave a couple LAs behind so at least you have a skulk/gorge defense and someone to scream if a bigger lifeform comes along. Of course I can't blame crack too much for this, as he did leave his siege locations up with PGs but we kept tearing them down. I swear that siege spot in the end of the hall next to computer core went up at least 10 times....
It was a sacrafice of skilled manpower in HA (us who kept tearing down your hive) and the newbs who didn't have a clue. We didn't have time to lock down the hives because there's onos all over the map. And the LA marines kept falling to skulks a lot.

January 06, 2004, 03:04:19 PM
Reply #7

crack

• Skulk

• View Profile
OMG You beat me to the post..oh well.saves me typing. I was thinking about this game the whole day. Simply. AMAZING. GJ Team.

You forgot to add when you were taking down mainteince a new hive was being built in eclipse..thanks to ana3 he took it down at the same time.

We started with 5 nodes...i was upset cause most of my team was nub(2 were good -uranium and kirby) Then we locked down eclipse, i tried to tell them to move into computer core - "Whats CC" They say. So we were behind. Thankfully ANA3 and alcard joined to help that instantly made SQUAD FIVE.

ANA3 was hunting res over and over while i tried to keep the HA healed.(Thankyou ANA)

The only thing annoying me was them taking my res over and over. We killed at least 7 onoses and 7 hives in total(i think 7 hives).

I almost gave up when i gave someone a JP to attack CC with a shotty(lvl3wpns/arm) and i saw 2 onoses going back and fourth after we took down around 3 already.

BTW when the onoses attacked the base(2 onoses) they only killed the PG. I jumped out with my HMG and killed one.

*EDIT* I also wanna thank squad 5 and Kirby the most for not dieing once with his HA and HMG(he had it for half the game) Sorry i didnt trust you with a JP.

*EDIT FOR BOB* We had no res...even though we ended the game with 300 res we had no res at the time. I had to save for sieges so that gives you a idea.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 03:30:04 PM by crack »

January 06, 2004, 03:48:49 PM
Reply #8

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
You forgot to add when you were taking down mainteince a new hive was being built in eclipse..thanks to ana3 he took it down at the same time.
That was at the very end? I thought I heard the PING O DEWM stop for a few seconds, but then it started back up so I figured it was a bug. :)

And when the onos attacked the base I phased through just before it died, and went catapulting over the base... probably saved my life.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 03:52:17 PM by Uranium - 235 »

January 06, 2004, 04:14:11 PM
Reply #9

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
all i have to say is . . hooray ! that was a great game

good thing i got kirby to come play ns with us . .

(leveled his whole base in empires with rockets so game would end)
cant resist the ns..

and i got the last hive solo too w00t

aw and i just noticed how low my score was in what uranium posted . . .
got kicked for a minute 15 minutes before game ended for some reason.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 04:18:00 PM by Anarki3x6 »
-_^

January 06, 2004, 04:20:20 PM
Reply #10

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
aw and i just noticed how low my score was in what uranium posted . . .
got kicked for a minute 15 minutes before game ended for some reason.
Crack has a higher score then some aliens :D

January 06, 2004, 05:38:13 PM
Reply #11

[JFF]Kirby

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
hey its kirby i think ima change my name to it... yeah that was a sweet game i almost pooped my pants when i saw the onoses and stuff runnin down the hall but i guess they got hurt sumwhere else cuz they went down right before they ate me good times... anarki tried to blame the nukes on one of the comps... then he killed my rocket trucks!! U WILL PAY! i had sumthin else to say but i forgot... O great job crack, nicely commed

January 06, 2004, 05:39:48 PM
Reply #12

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
yes . . . u shoulda registered as kirby . . . !!!
and har har har . . . he thought it was some comp nuking his base . . .

but no . . . it was me , the german experimentin on his allies . . bwahahaha  >:D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 05:41:17 PM by Anarki3x6 »
-_^

January 06, 2004, 05:41:38 PM
Reply #13

[JFF]Kirby

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
i know i will if sum1 can like take away my rat registration and ill reregister with [JFF]Kirby

January 06, 2004, 05:47:00 PM
Reply #14

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
i know i will if sum1 can like take away my rat registration and ill reregister with [JFF]Kirby
I'll tell LB.