Author Topic: Jumping Rant  (Read 6025 times)

July 18, 2004, 06:13:56 PM
Reply #20

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I hope a Few HL 2 mods add in "realistic" jumping, like Sati's idea

July 18, 2004, 07:21:05 PM
Reply #21

Bijiy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
yes, that's a very good point bob. but there are few mods out there that don't really need (or discourage a lot of) jumping.

Hostile Intent
Day of Defeat
TFC (i KID I KID!!!)

er, yeah, yer right, there are FAR too many "MUST JUMP TO EVADE/MOVE FASTER" games out there.
You haven't seen me play Hostile Intent then.  ^_^

July 18, 2004, 09:57:26 PM
Reply #22

Keyser59

• Gorge

• View Profile
If you are trying to be a realism stifler, you could make a more convincing argument ragging on the other 99% of gameplay that makes NS unrealistic.

July 18, 2004, 10:07:36 PM
Reply #23

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah like those aliens. They don't look like REAL aliens at all.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

July 19, 2004, 03:44:15 AM
Reply #24

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
If you are trying to be a realism stifler, you could make a more convincing argument ragging on the other 99% of gameplay that makes NS unrealistic.
You mean like how if this is all so far in the future, why don't we all just gas the aliens out with some kind of advanced bio-poison instead of risking the lives of soldiers to eliminate them?  :D

On a random side note (and because I was bored at 2:45 a.m. and wanted to make something in Photoshop/Image Ready), I decided to take a look at what it would be like if jumping was removed from even one of our most cherished childhood games.

Looks like little Johnny isn't going to get past level 1.  :(

:lol:

July 19, 2004, 05:14:47 AM
Reply #25

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
C O M E D Y G O L D !
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

July 19, 2004, 07:28:24 AM
Reply #26

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Who cares? Little Johnny has h4xed his cartridge to remove the time limit. Let him burn in the hell of perpetual abyss-fallage.

I don't remember how high you can jump in System Shock 2, but it has another interesting feature that makes jumping unnecessary in a lot of cases: Climbing. You can climb onto any object that isn't higher than you by walking up against it and holding down the jump key. I'd like to see more climbing in games. Games like NS, for example. One of NS' strong points is the athmosphere. And while I agree that gameplay > realism, realism usually adds to the athmosphere. And if the game is athmospheric, a certain level of realism is necessary. Nerfing jump and adding climb could help. Currently, you can jump like a jackrabbit, but woe betide if your path is blocked by the Dreaded Obstacle ov Doom, the CHEST-HIGH CRATE!

July 19, 2004, 04:13:38 PM
Reply #27

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Who cares? Little Johnny has h4xed his cartridge to remove the time limit. Let him burn in the hell of perpetual abyss-fallage.

just send him to the firery pits of hell to let him burn for all eternity for h4xing his super mario bros cartridge
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

July 19, 2004, 07:42:13 PM
Reply #28

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
On a random side note (and because I was bored at 2:45 a.m. and wanted to make something in Photoshop/Image Ready), I decided to take a look at what it would be like if jumping was removed from even one of our most cherished childhood games.

Looks like little Johnny isn't going to get past level 1.  :(
Wait, how'd you get a mushroom without jumping? and there's a pipe before you even get near there.

Lies, all lies.

PS. We have a classic NES in our youth room which is played more than our N64, gamecube, DDR, ping pong table, and pool table combined.
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

July 23, 2004, 04:52:39 AM
Reply #29

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
lol at mario ^^

More games should make use of the Zelda 64 Jumping system.  Basically there's only 2 ways to jump... 1 is to get next to something you can climb then hit the action button which'll make you jump up and grab the ledge.  The other is to run off an edge which'll make you auto-jump based on speed. (if you walk off you'll climb down holding onto the ledge) =3

July 27, 2004, 08:56:15 PM
Reply #30

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
whoa it's gem  <3 o_O

is it juts me or has she/he/it not been around as much ?
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

July 27, 2004, 09:12:03 PM
Reply #31

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I like to be able to jump for just for dicks sake in games, I don't think limiting the potential actions a player can make does anything really but annoy the player.  Reaslism can be damned if I can't have fun, expecially in single player games.

Not to say I don't think its stupid how much jumping has integrated itself into games like CS and other tactics realism mods (ha, CS realism  :p ) but the fact of the matter is, a crappyily physicsized jump is easyer to turn into whatever you want the jump to be for mod makers, than a jump that has lots of realism type stuff hardcoded into it.  Think of how hard it would have been for flay to make skulks if the HL jump had issues like ground impact and what not hardcoded into it...

I say take out (or limit greatly, ala HI) jumping when it ruins gameplay, after all, there should be no reason for people to jump in combat in CS, IRL that will get you shot, fast, and you will be out of commission until long after you hit the floor.  But there still is a a ting of action gameplay that we lose (leap over the railing, hop on the desk, mow down a couple opponents) when you remove jumping compleatly...
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

July 27, 2004, 09:26:09 PM
Reply #32

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Unrelated, but actually HL code does have resididual jump related stuff coded into it. Notice how skulks go ARGH when they fall a long way? They're not supposed to do that, neither are fades or lerks or JPs, because they don't take falling damage. But apparently it's a real pain to code that out. Hooray for random HL facts!

July 27, 2004, 09:29:13 PM
Reply #33

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Unrelated, but actually HL code does have resididual jump related stuff coded into it. Notice how skulks go ARGH when they fall a long way? They're not supposed to do that, neither are fades or lerks or JPs, because they don't take falling damage. But apparently it's a real pain to code that out. Hooray for random HL facts!
Ya, could you imagine if it was less minorly annoying things and more horribly frustraing limitations placed on the jumps?

July 27, 2004, 09:30:51 PM
Reply #34

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Like, they made you explode into bits when you hit the jump key? Yes, I could see that being a problem indeed.

July 27, 2004, 10:10:31 PM
Reply #35

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Like, they made you explode into bits when you hit the jump key? Yes, I could see that being a problem indeed.
Ironicly I could see myself getting good use out of the 'explode into bits' button.  In RTCW, I several time ran out into an open field full of nazis and quickly swallowed my cyanide pill just to see the looks on thier faces, then I realized that game AI doesn't give a dick.  Now let's never speak of it again.

July 27, 2004, 10:56:10 PM
Reply #36

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Not to say I don't think its stupid how much jumping has integrated itself into games like CS and other tactics realism mods (ha, CS realism  :p )...

...there should be no reason for people to jump in combat in CS, IRL that will get you shot, fast...
Interesting contradiction in your post there: You take the time to mock Counterstrike's 'realism', but the next paragraph you want CS to be more realistic when it comes to jumping.

July 27, 2004, 11:11:24 PM
Reply #37

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Not to say I don't think its stupid how much jumping has integrated itself into games like CS and other tactics realism mods (ha, CS realism  :p )...

...there should be no reason for people to jump in combat in CS, IRL that will get you shot, fast...
Interesting contradiction in your post there: You take the time to mock Counterstrike's 'realism', but the next paragraph you want CS to be more realistic when it comes to jumping.
How is it a contradiction to make fun of the fact that counterstrike isn't realistic and want it to be more realistic?  I don't like the fact that it isn't realistic, so I want an improvement.

Either way, I don't really play CS at all any more, so in the end, I could care less.

July 27, 2004, 11:30:23 PM
Reply #38

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Well, first there's the fact that I've never heard any CS player say "Counterstrike is 100% completely realistic"; I've only ever heard the CS haters say that the CS players say that. Then there's the fact that you want an "improvement" on a game you admitted you don't play anymore and could care less about. If you really don't play it anymore and could care less, what does it matter to you if the game is "improved"?

July 28, 2004, 08:01:54 AM
Reply #39

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
i used to have a screenie of a cs player saying cs was all about realism o_O
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]