Author Topic: Ding Dong Ditch  (Read 3862 times)

October 25, 2004, 07:38:36 PM
Read 3862 times

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
excuse horrible spelling/grammar:

i live in your average neighborhood, but people do this as expected around halloween. 6 days before halloween, we had someone ring the doorbell, then ring it again(a bit after) then open our screen door, without knocking. was opened again(or autoclosed, not sure.) my mom wouldn't let me check the door etc nor did i really want to at the time, still kinda creeped out. called the cops, it was all clear. dog was freaking out, hair up and all, so someone was definatly there.

so my question is; any advice for this situation? i can stare out another window with some sneakyness and try to see what is up, but i can't see the door without being at it physically, which makes it hard when you don't know whats on the other side(could be a robber, or some kid(s) ) so basically its look out the window and hope they are stupid, or try to look through the peephole or a window around the door.

if anything, give me a way to calm my mom and sister down. i lack a father figure in the household so its really up to me, and i need help on what to say and how to react =/ any help is appreciated, any +1s to this and i will instantly bitch out ura to nazi your postcount.

October 25, 2004, 07:55:24 PM
Reply #1

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
could be a robber
i doubt a robber would ring your doorbell politely.

-ring-
"Yes, Hello there mate. I was wondering if you would be so kind as to grant me admission to your dwelling so I could take a gander at stealing your belongings."

just open it up and catch the kids.

October 25, 2004, 08:16:35 PM
Reply #2

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Uh.. don't doors have locks?
the screen doors in my house do (its this cheapass little piece of metal, but it works well enough to stop what you said)
Either that or attach the + end of a cable to the metal frame of the door, and the negative to a piece of metal under the doormat.  Then plug it in.

Or find these things called "joker string bombs", which is like a little tube of gunpowder, when you pull the strings on both ends it makes a little bang.  Needless to say, they scare the ^^ out of people :)  I leave it up to you to figure out what to do
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 08:18:24 PM by devicenull »

October 25, 2004, 08:16:41 PM
Reply #3

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
    • http://
Aye, tis kids. Pesky critters.

Next time you hear the doorbell, open the door madly and stare at anything on the other side. If you see kids running away very quickly, problem solved. If not, repeat this process.

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

October 25, 2004, 08:21:35 PM
Reply #4

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
thanks fatty, simple thought helped calm my mom+sis down :e

Uh.. don't doors have locks?
the screen doors in my house do (its this cheapass little piece of metal, but it works well enough to stop what you said)
Either that or attach the + end of a cable to the metal frame of the door, and the negative to a piece of metal under the doormat.  Then plug it in.

Or find these things called "joker string bombs", which is like a little tube of gunpowder, when you pull the strings on both ends it makes a little bang.  Needless to say, they scare the ^^ out of people :)  I leave it up to you to figure out what to do
[snapback]31992[/snapback]

lol sounds fun :p i have cans of that spray string stuff, perhaps ill utilize that. but they do have locks, but we don't lock the screen door (probably will now)

Aye, tis kids. Pesky critters.

Next time you hear the doorbell, open the door madly and stare at anything on the other side. If you see kids running away very quickly, problem solved. If not, repeat this process.
[snapback]31993[/snapback]

that as well sounds good :o shall see based on the situation, thanks to everyone

October 25, 2004, 08:22:18 PM
Reply #5

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
ya it is just some idiot kids
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

October 25, 2004, 09:07:32 PM
Reply #6

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
sit outside totin' a shotgun and smoking a cigar

that'll scare the young whippersnappers off
-_^

October 25, 2004, 09:15:36 PM
Reply #7

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Hahahaha! i had a similiar situation happen to me quite awhile ago. I was actually home alone when my niebors (I didnt know at the time)  decided to knock because  i dont have a doorbell.

I figured I would just turn the lights out in my house, lock all the doors and stare out a side window on my second story. But instead I wanted to "hunt the hunter". SO i took my POS stingray 2 out with my 15 ounce co2 tank and poured some paintballs in my hopper.  went out the back and snuck around my backyard when it was around 1045-11ish. Really dark out so i was kindve scared. Only did i realise when i was at my back door how in horror movies the <insert scary thingy here> would get the hunter from behind. So i watched my back constantly  :p  .

I snuck up only to see the bastards were behind my right big bush on the side of the house, i didnt shoot em i just fired 3 shots at the bush to scare em.

The joke was on them bwhahaha  >:D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 09:18:03 PM by Diablus »

October 25, 2004, 11:34:23 PM
Reply #8

ThoraX

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
you could do what stopped me from doing it as a kid...

I used to do that when i was little (always did it in pairs or more). thought it was real good fun. except at this one indian guy's house (not the native kind, the asian kind). Long story short he spotted us went inside, grabbed a long stick by the door and chased us for a block or so. Scared me out of doing it in that neighborhood anyways. Back then, it was scary to be chased by a stick-weilding indian with a turban and a thick beard...
This is going to be some kind of reunion, isn't it?

October 26, 2004, 07:43:18 AM
Reply #9

Clashen

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
you could do what stopped me from doing it as a kid...

I used to do that when i was little (always did it in pairs or more). thought it was real good fun. except at this one indian guy's house (not the native kind, the asian kind). Long story short he spotted us went inside, grabbed a long stick by the door and chased us for a block or so. Scared me out of doing it in that neighborhood anyways. Back then, it was scary to be chased by a stick-weilding indian with a turban and a thick beard...
[snapback]32003[/snapback]

lol we had on of those guys too. Once whne we pissed him off real bad he chased us with his bike :o He had really long legs so when he took one step we took like 5 or six :(
<snip>, your sig image is, or rather was i suppose, 48kb, max size is 22kb. - DHP
<zing>, your mom is, or rather was i suppose, 200kg, max size is 100kg LOL - clashen

October 26, 2004, 01:13:33 PM
Reply #10

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
My english teacher had a great idea.

He wanted to hide in his tree at halloween and get kids with his pellet gun when they went to his door.

He was my favorite teacher. I was very sad when he retired :(

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

October 26, 2004, 01:43:07 PM
Reply #11

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Bush.

Hose.

Kids.

Frigid Air.

Do the math.

October 26, 2004, 02:34:58 PM
Reply #12

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
If you're ever really paranoid about whoever's at the door, do what I do and have a solid wood baseball bat handy when you answer it. Fortunately, I'm in a pretty safe neighborhood, so we've never had any problems yet.

October 26, 2004, 03:13:00 PM
Reply #13

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
wow.....half of the responses in here are sadistic enough to get me hunted down and burned at the stake for being witch in my neighborhood.   But i agree with all the things said in here.  Might even try some of them next time that happens to me.  of course, i could always pilfer asal's practice katana and own with that....or the axe in the garage....or the pitchfork..or the hammer...or my paintball gun.....or hte battery on the door.......hm........sadistic little people, arent we?

Kodiac teh Pirate Bear
One part comm, one part cheerleader, 3 parts cuddly bear

October 26, 2004, 06:05:03 PM
Reply #14

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
I think we could all get back to our gaming side and just use a simple crowbar. :)

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

October 26, 2004, 07:18:28 PM
Reply #15

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I don't quite have a crowbar lying around anywhere in my house; Not really a common household item for my family.

October 26, 2004, 07:43:19 PM
Reply #16

X-S-Z

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I have a very large super-soaker, not just any super soaker, this thing is a water cannon. Two and a half feet of sweetness, and just the right tool in a neighborhood like mine. (full of mischevious bastards)

My house is always a target. Me and my mother take turns chasing off a certain group of kids who enjoy sitting in our nearby park, flinging rocks at our neighbors dog, heckling passer-bys, and trying to break the playground equipment. Eventually, they decided they'd try to give us a hard time by ringing the doorbell at our house and the house of our elderly neighbors.

That pissed me the hell off. My mother called for a police patrol that came up with nothing, and sure enough, they kept up with thier 13 year old bastard antics.

They rang our doorbell five times over the course of two days, and then some, as I came home for lunch one day (a saturday) and spotted one running around the corner of my house as I was pulling in the driveway.

That was the last straw. I wasn't going to have these three kids hanging around our house all day before they got any bolder and started trying to damage the house.

Same evening, I'm sitting on the side of our garage, waiting with a camera and the supersoaker. It didn't take long for them to ditch thier bikes in the park and come sneaking up our driveway giggling like little bastards do.

Around the corner, over the driveway quietly, and to the front door with three backs turned, two egging on thier buddy to hit the doorbell. I let a short whistle, three startled faces turn for the camera, the flash goes off, then the super soaker does it's job. It worked, they ran like hell, and I haven't seen them in over a year. Oh yea, the camera was for proof in case we had to deal with angry parents.

If it does turn out to be stupid kids who enjoy consistently ringing your doorbell, then by all means, get creative. It would piss me off to no end if I have sibings scared because of some damn kids ringing the doorbell.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 07:44:22 PM by X-S-Z »

October 26, 2004, 09:08:15 PM
Reply #17

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
X-S-Z = teh winnarus maximus! :D

October 26, 2004, 09:28:32 PM
Reply #18

ThoraX

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
X-S-Z... you, sir, are a king among men.
*becomes his serf*
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 09:29:05 PM by ThoraX »
This is going to be some kind of reunion, isn't it?

October 27, 2004, 02:55:51 AM
Reply #19

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah I have a monster XL Super Soaker - hold like a gallon of water, weighs about 30 pounds, and is impossible to pump because it uses so much pressure, it's easier to just use the hose filler to pressurize it. In 'gush' mode it drains it's whole pressurized pump in a second.

^ Not me, but the same thing.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 02:56:41 AM by Uranium - 235 »