Author Topic: Hahahahaha...  (Read 5746 times)

March 24, 2004, 04:13:40 PM
Reply #20

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
On the plus side, MetamodX (The new metamod, because the old one isnt being developed, or it is being done slowly) already has support for CZ, and sven, and ns3 :)
Yay :)

March 24, 2004, 08:09:34 PM
Reply #21

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
Esuna, go rant somewhere else, and not in my thread...thanks.

The whole point of this thread was to show that valve really has stopped caring about the server side of HL these last few months. high CPU use, HL update tool not working, the HL server itself not working, no servers = no players.
Dude, then say that!

In essence a thread dedicated to just going "HAHAHAHAHAHA" is nothing but a spam thread, but what you just raised there are very good points, if you had just put that in the first place, would anything have been kicked up?
Hint: Use Guided Mode for helpful prompts

March 25, 2004, 09:58:55 AM
Reply #22

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
personally, I think it's pretty impressive what Valve has released for free over the years, so I'm not particularly upset
That stopped me for a second. What has valve released for free exactly? Steam? Let's not go there. Ricochet? To quote: "HAHAHAHAHAHA" Running the WON servers? Well, that was nice while it lasted. I'm sure they were doing it all out of the goodness of their hearts too, and not based on the fat checks that they've been raking in selling HL for years while the mod community provides all the free content for them.

But it's possible I'm missing something. What else have they done for free? Anyone?

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

March 25, 2004, 10:03:34 AM
Reply #23

Venmoch

• Gorge

• View Profile
Well, theres mod support, mod tools, an accessible group of staff that are only too happy to answer E-Mails (That Aren't flames)

FIX THIS!

March 25, 2004, 10:09:42 AM
Reply #24

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
But there's a clear monetary benefit to supporting the modders. From an economic standpoint, mod makers are free labor for valve. I know that's a harsh way to look at it, but I'm only speaking from a purely financial point of view. They'll be happy to support the mod makers (usually, except when they screw up and release a patch that breaks half of the mods [but never the popular ones]) as long as people keep buying new copies of their old game off of store shelves.

March 25, 2004, 12:07:22 PM
Reply #25

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
True. But we'll all run out and buy HL2 the day it ships anyway, won't we? Ok, so they haven't spent a lot of money on the community while they kept raking in the cash on HL sales (and the retail versions of CS and DoD later on). They DID give the mod makers a level of support that hadn't been seen until then, though. And as for ease of modding, nothing except a licensed source code (which is hideously expensive) is as easy to mod as the HL engine, especially with all the support and inside information freely available. OF COURSE they're doing it in hopes of sparking the next CS, enabling them to sell EVEN MORE copies of HL. But there's a certain philosophy (which I catiously support) that goes: "A good deed, even if done for the wrong reasons, is still a good deed."

March 25, 2004, 01:39:05 PM
Reply #26

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
I'm no mod dev, but from what I've heard, Valve does NOT give very good support to the modding community.  Other than their pet projects, of course.

Their updates were supposed to be backwards compatible, yet most mods have been killed by Valve's updates.  They have also yet to release the steam SDK.

March 25, 2004, 04:59:46 PM
Reply #27

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah, are sven and ns still third party mods? Jep, but quite some time ago both those mod teams were working with valve to make them official mods! I mean they are supporting modding teams more than other companies(who dont speak with the modders), but they arent supporting them very fast....

Hafaf, I still love Valve, even if they shaft us all, I still love them. The bad things that they do balance out with the good things that they do, but because all the good games which they have released(HL), they are a good company instead of a bad one :D. Lets just hope HL2 doesnt suck.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

March 25, 2004, 05:12:01 PM
Reply #28

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I will always refrain from making any hateful comments continually towards Valve. TFC was the first game that really got me into online gaming when I got my computer, and if it wasn't for Valve providing everything necessary for that game, I'd probably have gone off with Starcraft or Unreal Tournament. And if that had happened, I would've never gotten to know any of you here, or anyone in the NS community.

And you can't go on about Valve 'basically having free labor' because that is how it is with every mod out there. Desert Combat, for example, is a very big hit and has definitely brought EA Games a lot of money because of people who want to play DC specifically (I have two friends, in fact, who bought Battelfield 1942 solely for DC).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 05:16:43 PM by Grimm »

March 25, 2004, 06:01:36 PM
Reply #29

DiscoZombie

• Skulk

• View Profile
personally, I think it's pretty impressive what Valve has released for free over the years, so I'm not particularly upset
That stopped me for a second. What has valve released for free exactly? Steam? Let's not go there. Ricochet? To quote: "HAHAHAHAHAHA" Running the WON servers? Well, that was nice while it lasted. I'm sure they were doing it all out of the goodness of their hearts too, and not based on the fat checks that they've been raking in selling HL for years while the mod community provides all the free content for them.

But it's possible I'm missing something. What else have they done for free? Anyone?
well, are we not still playing HL?  they're obviously doing something right through 6 years of continuous patching and support.  if you want them to not maintain and support their games, I guess you don't want them to bother releasing HL2 either.  

yeah, making the game highly moddable was an extremely good economic decision for them -- but all their decisions that are good economically make money for a reason -- that reason is because they're popular decisions.

March 25, 2004, 07:29:34 PM
Reply #30

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
Its easy to complain about a game and a company and their faults, but most of us don't realize what we take for granted in having them.

March 26, 2004, 03:25:04 AM
Reply #31

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Steam wasn't "for free". You REQUIRE it to play HalfLife multiplayer, a selling feature of the game, if they didn't support it anymore in some way (closing WON without using Steam) I'd sue their pants off.

March 26, 2004, 04:19:30 AM
Reply #32

Venmoch

• Gorge

• View Profile
Well

My Hard Copy Of Condition Zero arrived :D

FIX THIS!

March 26, 2004, 08:56:27 AM
Reply #33

DiscoZombie

• Skulk

• View Profile
Steam wasn't "for free". You REQUIRE it to play HalfLife multiplayer, a selling feature of the game, if they didn't support it anymore in some way (closing WON without using Steam) I'd sue their pants off.
I'm just playing the devil's advocate and arguing for the sake of arguing at this point, but I don't remember reading anywhere that the server finding services of HL multiplayer were guaranteed to be around forever... in fact it probably would have been perfectly legal for them to stop supporting the game after a few months... they probably would have just had to stop publishing the game with anything about finding multiplayer servers stamped on the box...

March 26, 2004, 11:42:22 AM
Reply #34

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Fewpids flame post to add to this thread:
GG "quit" command never ever working for steam, just freezes steam up. GG bugs with ns that are so random that you cant even tell if theyre steam or ns fault, like not being able to upgrade anything or evolve -_-.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

March 26, 2004, 12:43:51 PM
Reply #35

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
But my point remains that they're definitely seeing compensation in the form of big bags of money for their efforts. If valve said tomorrow "Hey, we're shutting down WON and Steam and not releasing any more updates ever, GG guys," besides the mass uproar that would ensue, they would stop making money. That's why they continue, because it's good for them financially. Which is fine, they're a company, that's what they do. My only point is that we don't want to canonize them for being a big holy loving game company that gives away all this great stuff for 'free', because none of it is free.