Author Topic: Winnar!  (Read 10468 times)

February 08, 2004, 02:09:44 PM
Read 10468 times

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
This is what I've been working on for the past forever ;) One room, has taken me AGES to do it, but the first one I've done that I'm happy with :D As you can see, this is going to be the 'join marines' area of the readyroom. You run through the armory (the hallway into this room is going to be on the yellow wall), into an airlock where you get zapped into the match. The alien join area is going to be on the opposite side, with bio tanks and water and stuff. In the middle is where the readyroom players spawn in, sort of a crew quarters. :)

This room was originally going to be the area where the RRers spawn in, but I decided it was pretty stupid for the theme to fit a certain team before they even chose one.

BTW I know the colors look a lil washed out... it's because I have a tiny bit of env lighting coming from the windows (The actual projection is on the opposite side of the ship, so it'll shine right in the Join Alien windows), there's the green and red lighting, and the siren strobe on the ceiling is lit. It looks nicer in-game ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 02:55:21 PM by Uranium - 235 »

February 08, 2004, 04:02:15 PM
Reply #1

Lito

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
looks excellent.  Don't forget the easter egg when you're done.  If you don't, you'll end up like Zazi, the noob mapper!
Go, go, go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
aah - Johnny B. GONE
sig images must not exceed 22kb -DHP

Thanks to Bijiy for help on the sig
Japanese Lesbian Kissing ftw
Waffles aer teh lews.

February 08, 2004, 07:26:54 PM
Reply #2

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Sweet Uranium. I can't wait to play the map even if the gameplay on it sucks :p. It'll be the best RR yet. Also, you'll be a nubcaek if you get killed by your own elevator (haha Zazi).
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

February 08, 2004, 10:58:17 PM
Reply #3

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The more or less completed 'Join Marines' main area.

February 08, 2004, 10:59:01 PM
Reply #4

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The connecting hallway (about halfway down on the right is going to be where you spawn in, and spectate. Random will be halfway on the left.

February 08, 2004, 10:59:29 PM
Reply #5

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
And finally, the incomplete Join Aliens area, complete with pink lighting through the window ;)

February 08, 2004, 11:07:20 PM
Reply #6

Jefe

• Fade

• View Profile
awesome, not the prettiest mapping I've seen but it's definitely unique.  What's on the other side of the lmg's?

*DISCLAIMER*  Do not take the above post seriously.

February 08, 2004, 11:17:25 PM
Reply #7

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I know the hallway is pretty fugly with the lighting... don't worry, I'm still working on it (Better then the ugly lime green lighting I had before) but the join marines area is staying: it's supposed to look exactly like that (there's a strobe going in every room, from the alarms, so it looks different in-game :p) Every shot was taken with the strobe OFF. The marines area looks more or less like the first one when the strobe flashes.

Plus the pink lighting... it fits the skymap I'm using just fine, so that's not going to change either.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004, 11:20:13 PM by Uranium - 235 »

February 09, 2004, 12:12:16 AM
Reply #8

LzX

• Skulk

• View Profile
Ohhh NooO! Leave the hallway!!! I've never seen such a dark, scary ready room man... I really love the Join Aliens skulk in the test tube thingy... this is really good, lemme know if you need a tester!! :D:D
The Original Ghetto Warrior
"okay, so we'll start with the fundamentals... playing a flaming guitar with your teeth..."

Thanks Vanmoch! I love fluffeh kittehs

February 09, 2004, 01:21:29 AM
Reply #9

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Dont worry, my hallway plans involve some hangly dangly wangly wires (I love saying that...), a bit of pipes or something to break it up a bit (including the existing grate... needs to be expanded) and such. Lighting-wise I'm going to make it a bit darker, I might change the floorlights BACK to blue. My r_speeds are out the wazoo right now (standing in the hallway, the game thinks I can see every room, but I can't), but if I can get a hint brush placed right, should chop it down.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 01:36:32 AM by Uranium - 235 »

February 09, 2004, 03:07:14 AM
Reply #10

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
How are these? :)

Caught with the alarm strobe lit, so it looks different. Just imagine it more purply without it. Going to work on it more tomorrow after... work... yay. Will add some wires along the sides. Should look very nice when I'm done, then I have to add two more rooms and I win!

The tank with the egg in it has a green flickering behind it, very nice dramatic effect, and all that infestation uses only ONE entity ;) I need to add something to fill that space, but I have no idea what to add... r_speeds peak at 700 in one place, I added a couple HINT brushes that brought it down.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 03:08:11 AM by Uranium - 235 »

February 09, 2004, 05:06:35 AM
Reply #11

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
You could also run VIS with the -full parameter  ;)

This takes care of r_speeds nicely, but conversely takes a much longer time to compile.

February 09, 2004, 06:21:47 AM
Reply #12

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
your map is looking really great uranium  B)
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

February 09, 2004, 10:51:54 AM
Reply #13

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I did a full vis compile and r_speeds are still 600+ in a couple spots, but move like an inch and it drops to 500.

But ns_origin has some spots where r_speeds reach over 1100, and no one seemed to notice... (particularially in commander mode, while looking into the vents near furnace. There's a spot where I think it hit 14k)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2004, 11:04:49 AM by Uranium - 235 »

February 10, 2004, 08:30:31 AM
Reply #14

Satanic Monkey

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.thecatacombs.net
I think the map is going well Uranium and when it's done, set up a res slot night and let the res slotters test it out  :D
Don't mess with me punk, I'll post in your

February 10, 2004, 10:39:10 AM
Reply #15

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Booyah added a hallway, dragged two hintbrushes ALL THE HELL OVER THE MAP and r_speeds dropped like a rock :D

February 11, 2004, 10:28:33 AM
Reply #16

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
I really like the lighting coming from the window.  That pink-type color seems to look appropriate.  I hope you use that type of window lighting throughout the whole level. :)

February 17, 2004, 03:33:42 AM
Reply #17

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
New screens! Have very little time to work on it, but there's been a lot of changes, mostly performance-wise ;)

The projector, the lights, hell, everything in this room is flicker-ific. Looks terrific in-game, I think I'm done with it (just need to add a small hallway at the backside to join the game... yeah, I didn't forget that part :p)

The main hall. On the left, the order, from closest to farthest: Join Aliens - Random Team (Currently just opens to space) - Join Marines. On the right is  the short hallway pictured below.

Behind me, opening to space right now, will be a 'cockpit' for 'Observe Match'. Left and Right will be where you spawn into the readyroom. Straight ahead is the main hall, looking out the door into the non-existant random team area.

So far I'm very VERY happy with it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 03:36:37 AM by Uranium - 235 »

February 17, 2004, 03:50:11 AM
Reply #18

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
Oh wow! I can actually see the map now! (For some reason the last screenshots were really, really dark before, now they aren't  :huh: ) Looks fantastic, keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 03:51:59 AM by Sancho »

February 17, 2004, 04:04:43 AM
Reply #19

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Future plans:

1) Cordon off skybox so it's not rendering the outside of the map as well. This'll drastically drop compile times and r_speeds :)

2) In the black hallway up there, add pipes along the upper corners to smooth it out a bit. Will add alarm (should've been one there...)

3) In the main hall, along the groove in the ceiling, add more hangly dangly junk, to break it up.