Author Topic: Using Steambans  (Read 5487 times)

February 27, 2007, 05:05:09 PM
Read 5487 times

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
First, rip from the website:
SteamBans.com is a brand new service based on an old concept. Global ban lists have been active for years on the old WONID program from VALVe. When the change came to STEAMID it fell natural for us to develop a service specially minded to this new system. But we also wanted more.
The sometimes brainless acceptance of people's accusations and blind trust in anti-cheat detection tools seemed way too common in the "business". We wanted to create a service for admins that were interested in getting better at spotting and catching cheaters themselves. Fighting cheat developers and cheaters on their own terms (programming) were for us to hard a battle to go up head to head against (there are perfectly good tools available for that). We wanted to focus on the cheater personally more then on the cheats he used. Our experience tells us that a cheater will eventually make mistakes and reveal his cheats, and we want admins ready to catch him when he does. This way we can base our catches on humans (server admins) and gain experience via them to develop better and more precise techniques for spotting cheats.

The quick description: SteamBans is a large ban list of confirmed cheaters.  For someone to be added to this list, a demo of them is taken, and is verified by at least 3 trained admins.  Once they have been confirmed to be cheating, they are banned from around 5k servers.

How you can submit demos:
Assuming you are playing on LM, or any other SteamBans protected server, it's fairly simple to produce a demo:
1) Spectate the player.
2) Begin recording demo.
3) In console, type "sb_status".  A modified status report will appear, and be written into the demo.
4) Do not use the scoreboard during the demo.  If the player dies, wait until they respawn, then switch to them (for "normal" servers you would just spectate a random player).
5) End the demo normally.  The recommendation is for each demo to be about 5 minutes long.  If you don't feel this is long enough to show it, start a new demo after 5 minutes, make sure to type "sb_status" into console in the new demo.

At this point you have two choices:
1) Email me the demo
2) Register on www.steambans.com and join the Lunixmonster team.  Once I approve you joining the team, you will be able to submit demos that way.

Often, submissions will be closed.  This is due to the number of demos submitted.. they typically re-open once every week or two.  If you don't feel like waiting around until they open again, you can email me the demo, and I will submit it for you.

March 05, 2007, 03:30:03 PM
Reply #1

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I applied as fewlio

I reveal penis I know psychology.

March 05, 2007, 11:18:42 PM
Reply #2

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I registered as Malevolent.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

March 19, 2007, 01:40:29 PM
Reply #3

Settler

• Reserved Slot
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.lunixmonster.org
Awesome, sounds great :)