Author Topic: - Guide: How To Properly Utilize Ammo -  (Read 5923 times)

January 23, 2004, 06:07:08 PM
Read 5923 times

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
=====================================
== Humping the Armory - Lesson 1 - The Basics ==

----------------------------------------
- Chapter 1 - Enough is Enough -
----------------------------------------

The first obstacle confronting all marines, the absolute first thing they must decide when they spawn, is how much ammo they should grab. It's the bane of every commander, when they see two or even three marines standing around the armory filling up to full ammo.

NEWSFLASH: The average marine only expends two and a half clips per life, and perhaps two from the pistol. That's a total of 125 bullets for the LMG, and 20 for the Pistol. Now naturally a more skilled marine will need more.

A very new marine should avoid the armory if possible. At most, he should grab no more then one clip for each weapon.

An average marine should grab two clips each.

A skilled marine should grab at least two clips (A total of 50/150), and should always keep his trusty pistol full.

If you feel that you're not going to be able to fire four clip of ammo, do not take four clips of ammo.

• Take as much ammo as proportionate to your skill level

---------------------------------------
- Chapter 2 - Ammo vs. Orders -
---------------------------------------

So you're fresh out of the IP, and immediately across the screen, your commander tells your team: "PHASE NOW!!!" What do you do?

A) Grab several clips from the armory, so that you can kill aliens on the other side.
B) Phase instantly.

If you answered A, you're not as wrong as you might think you were. When your commander tells you to phase now, there's a split second analysis of the situation you must make. Making this analysis requires lots of experience in NS.

Generally, if your commander is telling you to phase, there's only one of three possible situations that will be true.

Situation 1) The base on the other side of the phase requires reinforcements.
Situation 2) The base on the other side is being sneak attacked by low life forms.
Situation 3) The base on the other side has been smashed and is being destroyed by Fades and Onos.

In case of situation 1, it is wise to grab at least two clips of ammo for your main gun only. This will mean that you don't need to run back to base or call for ammo drops when the situation is normalized.

Situation 2 is more urgent. Do not grab ammo, do not collect guns, go directly to phase. Generally you can fight off the attackers, and then come back for more ammo. If there's been other marines going through and they haven't died, I myself would treat it as situation 1, and grab a quick clip or two of ammunition.

Situation 3 is dire. Generally I ignore these requests, as it just gives the aliens free resources to phase through. If you must phase, again, do not grab ammo, phase right away.

If your commander gives you a far away waypoint, and you have no phase gate, grab as much ammo as you can, polish your knife, grin and bear it. If you're with a squad, generally you'll waste ammo firing on dead corpses, and you'll run out quickly. Alternatively, if the waypoint is fairly close, there's a good chance it's urgent, and you should head there right away.

• Only grab as much ammunition as the situation requires. The more urgent, the less ammo you should take.

== Ammo Management - Lesson 1 - The Basics ==

-----------------------------------------------
- Chapter 1 - When to Pull the Trigger -
-----------------------------------------------

Always remember that as a marine, you have a huge advantage: range. If you can put eleven rounds into that skulk before he gets within four feet of you, you've won. However, do not ever fool yourself into thinking you're able to kill everything you see. Too often am I the unfortunate observer to a squad of marines emptying their magazines, squandering precious ammo, just to try to kill a fade more then sixty feet away.

Always remember this:

LMG - Medium Range
Pistol - All Ranges
HMG - Short-Medium Range
Shotgun - Very Short Range
Grenade Launcher - Very Long Range

Unless you are suppressing fire, do not ever attempt to use these weapons beyond ranges I've listed here. Heavy Machine Guns have very large cones of fire, and thus, will miss targets at medium range or beyond. Always, and this is a rule of thumb, always let the target get as close as is safely possible, then open fire.

If you are using a shotgun, do not immediately fire upon the onos across the room. You will not hurt it. You will only annoy it, and alert it to the fact that there is a shotgun in the room. This is true for all weapons.

Furthermore, do not ever fire your weapon unless you have to. Guns are very noisy. Marines can be stealthy if they require it, and in order to do so, must learn to only fire at targets that are directly threatening them or their team. If a fade walks right past your hiding spot, it is generally not wise to point out his mistake by emptying a weapon all willy-nilly. One more thing to note: If the aliens do not know your position, or if you are setting up to destroy and occupy the hive, never attack anything in the room until everyone is ready. This will alert the aliens to your position, give away the sneak attack, and ruin the game.

• Never use weapons beyond plausible range.
• Never discharge your weapon unless the situation requires it.

-------------------------------------
- Chapter 2 - When to Let Go -

Another common faux pa I am witness to quite often is the ‘shoot it ‘till it stops moving, then shoot it some more’ mentality. It always irritates me when I see it happen, and irritates me more when I do it. This mentality I describe is when the marine kills an alien, and then continues shooting the dying corpse until it’s fairly obvious it’s not really going to go anywhere. This is a severe drain of ammo and time, as you’ll be taking more time analyzing your targets then continuing on to the next threat.

The best way to learn how to avoid this is to simply make a habit of paying some attention to the kill list in the corner. If you have the mental ability to do so, and I know some people can’t, analyze it with your peripheral vision. If you fire upon a skulk and see a kill flash up, chances are it’s yours, and you can stop firing right then. Also, it’s important to learn the death animations skulks and lerks are very hard to discern between ‘dead’ and ‘alive’. With some practice, you can learn the death animation timing, and stop firing instantly, wasting almost no bullets on the harmless corpse.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 10:00:10 PM by Uranium - 235 »

January 23, 2004, 06:07:41 PM
Reply #1

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
== Humping the Armory - Lesson 2 - Advanced ==

- Chapter 1 - Hump Like a Pro -

So you're the hottest ###### to hit Tanith Orbital Research Facility? You're nickname is Ace, you've got kill streaks a mile long, and you've knifed a hive to death while standing on an onos? All that means nothing if you can't get off that armory.

A little known fact: Every time you grab ammo, a small counter starts. This counter tells you how long you must wait until acquiring ammo for that weapon again. However, this counter is conveniently reset every time you switch weapons.

What does this mean? If you switch weapons every time ammo is put into your reserve, you can grab ammo almost twice as fast as normal! You might have seen me at the armory shuffling weapons. That is because I'm grabbing ammo much faster then you can.

However, it is one thing to note that the shotgun is not affected by this. In fact, you will waste time trying to perform this with a shotgun, as the weapon has a delay while pulling it out before it can be used for anything. This delay is longer then the ammo delay. It is generally best with the shotgun to acquire ammo as normal.

This trick can also be performed with the same weapon: Quickly switch to the Pistol, then back to the LMG and you will get another clip for it. This is much faster with hud_fastswitch 1.

-----------------------------------------
- Chapter 2 - Advanced Weapons -
-----------------------------------------

Advanced weapons (which consists of everything larger then an LMG) suffer from one crippling problem: Ammo deficiency. A combination of high fire rates, low reserve ammo, and large clips means that every gun can run dry before you know it. Contrary to what your commander might think, never ever leave base with an advanced weapon that isn't completely full.

Running off with only sixteen shotgun shells might please your commander, but it certainly won't please you when you die because you ran out. Leaving base with anything short of 100% HMG ammo is folly. The HMG fills fastest of all weapons (As it carries two clips in reserve, only four armory 'ticks') so there's no sense in wasting it.

====================================
== Ammo Management - Lesson 2 - Advanced ==
====================================

----------------------------------
- Chapter 1 - Squad Tactics -
----------------------------------

In a squad, the best way to save ammo is to prioritize individual targets, get down, and fire. This is more complicated then it may seem.

First of all, if multiple targets are inbound, try to fire at the target that your teammates will most likely ignore first. This means that you can sometimes soften, scare, or eliminate the second threat before it can cause as much damage. However, one should always fire at Fades and Onos first, above everything else, less skulks and lerks that are very close.

Secondly, when in a squad and taking point, it's important to get down. There's nothing like having six marines with only two actually able to attack the threat. Love your crouch key, and your teammates will love you for it. Crouch, get out of their line of fire, and you can bring another gun to bear on the enemy. If you have point, never ever jump around. You'll just obstruct everyone's view, block their shots, piss them off, and probably get them killed.

Finally, above all else, always remain spread out. There's nothing worse then having one onos stomp and render you all helpless. Keep at least three feet away from your buddies. Clustered marines are handsome targets for lerks, fades, and onos.

-----------------------------------------------------
- Chapter 2 - ...From my Cold Dead Fingers -
-----------------------------------------------------

An art I haven't even picked up yet, and a very difficult one to learn at that, is managing your squadmates ammo as well. What this means is dropping your empty weapon in favor of a dead squadmates weapon which can still have ammo in it. This is a very difficult trick to learn, and even harder to perform. Done correctly, you can surprise a legion of enemies with a near constant barrage of gunfire.

In order to properly do this, you have to know what weapons your teammates are using. If a teammate is using a larger gun, such as a shotgun or HMG, avoid him. When he dies there's a chance you'll accidently pick up his gun before yours is empty. However, stay close as well, for if he dies, you can expend your ammo, then immediately pick up his gun and continue firing.

If you pick up a grenade launcher, the best tactic is to empty all the rounds at your feet and go down in a blaze of glory.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
- Chapter 3 - Spray and Pray, or Why God Hates You -
- Managing Ammo for Your HMG
                            -
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Writing a guide on conserving ammo, and leaving out the biggest ammo hog of them all seemed somewhat wrong. I've added this chapter to fill that.

The commander has just given you an HMG. You're tempted to fill up on ammo, shout 'Hail to the king, baby!' and begin blasting away. This is pretty much the worst thing you can do. The HMG takes an abysmally long amount of time to reload. So long, in fact, that I have made it habit to alert my team that I'm reloading, retreat to the back, hide, and reload.

After firing more then one round out of the HMG it should become painfully obvious that that 'massive clip' is not nearly massive enough. The HMG eats ammo like you wouldn't believe. And when you do believe it, you'll find yourself shouting for more ammo.

The best way to use the HMG to its best potential is to burst fire it. Some people may be tempted to 'single shot' it. Well, granted this will conserve ammo, however the HMG's inheret inaccuracy means that you'll most likely miss with your single shots, the critter will get close, and you will die.

I generally burst fire in rounds of 4 to 6. This provides a nice even spread pattern. When the critters are closer, I can risk a full auto assault. If you can learn how to burst fire the HMG well, you'll find yourself with four dead skulks around you, and still have 80 rounds in your magazine. Learning this skill is invaluable for success.

These rules also apply to the LMG, though the LMG doesn't suffer from ammo problems like the HMG does.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 09:50:25 PM by Uranium - 235 »

January 23, 2004, 06:47:34 PM
Reply #2

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
Preaty good read, didn't know about the weapon switching thing.

January 23, 2004, 07:53:19 PM
Reply #3

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
Furthermore, do not ever fire your weapon unless you have to.
I can never stress this enough to people.

Do not ever fire your weapon unless you have to.[/size][/b]

When I take my time to sneak into an enemy hive and get a phasegate up, which I am rather proficient at doing, do NOT start shooting the hive or the nearby resnode! Or ANYTHING for that matter! Its better that the aliens are not alerted to the fact that marines are about to blow something of theirs away.

January 23, 2004, 08:19:14 PM
Reply #4

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
jeebus uranium, that was a veritable potpurri of pure marine tactical goodness. thankee sai, very very much.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

January 23, 2004, 08:20:59 PM
Reply #5

Lito

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
way to teach them to hack, uranium.

A good read, taught me stuff i didn't know and reviewed on stuff i did.
Go, go, go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
Go, Johnny, go, go, go
aah - Johnny B. GONE
sig images must not exceed 22kb -DHP

Thanks to Bijiy for help on the sig
Japanese Lesbian Kissing ftw
Waffles aer teh lews.

January 23, 2004, 08:44:33 PM
Reply #6

@gentOrange

• Fade

• View Profile
VERY well organized and worded. Trebien!

I always thought the pistol and lmg switching just SEEMED faster. I didn't know it was fact :).

Anyone remember when flicking your flashlight on and off gave you ammo way faster? Those were the days :p
Sig size too big, 22kb is the max size, yours is 28kb - DHP

January 23, 2004, 08:51:42 PM
Reply #7

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Added Chapter 3 - Spray and Pray, or Why God Hates You

Thanks guys ;) I just got really sick of seeing people using their weapons like big unwieldy clubs.

Feel free to post this on the NS forums when they're back up.

BTW: If you think it should be stickied, I disagree. I tend to not notice new posts in the sticky topics. When this gets old, then I'll stick it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 08:53:30 PM by Uranium - 235 »

January 23, 2004, 09:22:37 PM
Reply #8

Nuketheplace

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
Nice you should submit that to rr.org.  I'm sure they could use a few good guides.

January 23, 2004, 09:25:45 PM
Reply #9

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Going to write up a guide on Squad Tactics now.

January 23, 2004, 09:37:36 PM
Reply #10

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net

oh criminy sakes, you call yerself a CANADIAN?!?!

it's
tres bien (with an accent a goute on the e of tres)

oh.. wait.. most canadians don't actually speak french.. so.. yeah.. carry on. nothing to see here... :rolleyes:
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

January 23, 2004, 09:49:10 PM
Reply #11

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
B) Phase instantly.
I <3 the way the emoticons turned this answer into the little 'cool' smiley.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

January 23, 2004, 09:56:16 PM
Reply #12

Satanic Monkey

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.thecatacombs.net
That was a good read , gonna make any for aliens?
Don't mess with me punk, I'll post in your

January 23, 2004, 10:00:32 PM
Reply #13

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
B) Phase instantly.
I <3 the way the emoticons turned this answer into the little 'cool' smiley.
Every time I edit it it sets emoticons to 'on'  :angry:

No, no guides for aliens, I don't have the time to tell you all 27 combinations of upgrades for an onos :)

The Small Unit Tactics guide will be a long time coming, I've run into some problems with it ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 10:01:56 PM by Uranium - 235 »

January 23, 2004, 10:56:19 PM
Reply #14

Jefe

• Fade

• View Profile
teh woe

never thought about burst firing the HMG.

By the way, the weapon switching thing is 'fixed' in 3.0.  For some reason it was considered an exploit or bug or something and fixed.

It makes me sad.

*DISCLAIMER*  Do not take the above post seriously.

January 23, 2004, 11:01:27 PM
Reply #15

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
i beg to differ...
the grenade launcher makes a devastating close/melee weapon >:D

January 24, 2004, 01:02:53 AM
Reply #16

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
teh woe

never thought about burst firing the HMG.

By the way, the weapon switching thing is 'fixed' in 3.0.  For some reason it was considered an exploit or bug or something and fixed.

It makes me sad.
:/ Whoever submitted it to bug reports must die.

January 24, 2004, 10:55:27 AM
Reply #17

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile

oh criminy sakes, you call yerself a CANADIAN?!?!

it's
tres bien (with an accent a goute on the e of tres)

oh.. wait.. most canadians don't actually speak french.. so.. yeah.. carry on. nothing to see here... :rolleyes:
You beat me to it. I wanted to correct his grammar. Tres mal he is for that mistake.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.