Author Topic: Day of Defeat: Source...  (Read 4135 times)

September 29, 2005, 09:26:57 PM
Read 4135 times

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
... can we FINALLY, PLEASE move beyond mindless killing and arcade-like HL mods coverted to source?

Okay, let me be more specific.

This game looks great, hdr is neat but nothing major though in this incarnation IMO, levels look awesome visually and look realistic.

BUT

I cannot play this game for more than maybe 15 minutes at a time... why?  Because its like counterstrike but with WWII weapons and more recoil.  Maybe its partly the small levels converted to source that were originally built with HL engine in mind, but people die WAY to often.  Even on a 24 player server i just get impatient with finding a far away sniper spot and manage to kill somebody then another sniper or MGer mowing you down from a distance.  It seems the average lifespan of a player is maybe 30-45 seconds if that.  Why do these games have to be SO DAMN FAST... why can't they slow it down with bigger levels and make it so that its actually slow paced house to house fighting like it would have been?  

Although it looks like there is a small element of teamplay, there is still little if any really needed to take control of flag spots.  That's another thing, capturing flag spots is WAY to easy... you should at least have to hold that area for a while with a couple of teamates rather than one or two people just rushing the points and winning in 40 seconds!

I understand some of the problem is just pub play and in a clan scene playing with people you know and working together would probably be better, but i really don't think this game fosters teamplay in the average pub other than needing two people to capture a flag in an area.  

I guess i'm just getting sick and tired of the ultra fast paced slaughter games and looking for something more involved than dying constantly.

Anybody else feel that way?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 09:29:53 PM by aeroripper »

September 29, 2005, 09:53:06 PM
Reply #1

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
why can't they slow it down with bigger levels and make it so that its actually slow paced house to house fighting like it would have been?

Because once you die in real life there is no 10 second timer until you come back. There is no possible way to ever, ever, EVER reinact a war through a console/comp game *realisticly*

And those house to house battles could have taken hours. The average HL player wants action action action. you'd lose intrest easily if it were slow and big levels where it takes 10 minutes to finally get into a goddamn firefight only to be shot in the head as soon as you arrive on the scene. Not even I see that as an idea of *Fun* which is as noticed by all why BF1942 was never taken seriously. TKing became more fun then playing the actual game correctly. Unless you enjoyed walking 5 miles to the nearest enemy.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 09:54:53 PM by Diablus »

September 29, 2005, 10:31:14 PM
Reply #2

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
meh i like dod:s the way it is.. theres this one map for hl1 dod thats reaaaallly huge... and it has tons of houses, and that map was fun, because it was a while of running around the streets and stuff looking for wherever the hell youre going. I cant remember the map name... but its damn good, hope they remake it for dod:s!
-_^

September 30, 2005, 09:16:45 AM
Reply #3

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I guess this is why I got tired of DoD back in the day. I haven't tried DoD:S, and I don't intend to either, since I pretty much assumed it'd just be the same game with updated graphics and ragdolls. So yeah, it's too deathmatchy for my taste.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 09:17:33 AM by lolfighter »

October 01, 2005, 07:33:58 AM
Reply #4

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
you can have huge maps and alot of firefights, just have the option to select your spawn point. If you always spawn at the same postion then the maps are ALWAYS going to be small. There isn't much strategy to "Cap left or Cap right first" And to take a year to make 4 maps is ridiculous...waste of 20 dollars imo

October 01, 2005, 08:37:12 AM
Reply #5

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The game came with only FOUR maps? Tell me I got that wrong.

October 01, 2005, 04:47:54 PM
Reply #6

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
The game came with only FOUR maps? Tell me I got that wrong.
[snapback]53817[/snapback]

dod_avalanche
dod_anzio
dod_flash
dod_donner

October 01, 2005, 07:24:30 PM
Reply #7

confused!

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.confusionville.net
i  used to love dod back in the day.  back when a map lasted for four hours and no one won.  seeing playerswith over 100 kills was par for the course.  for course then came dod 1.0 which sped up game play a lot.

the source version i feel has many of the original plusses the only real minuses being the inclusion of things like avalanche, which has always been a terror, and anzio, which is utter chaos. maps like flash with serious choke points etc are much more the classic.

i also have to say many of the most rediculous things have been removed. for example the kar 98 is not longer the ultimate weapon.  no more one hit kill in melee and at range.

i only wish it came with russians:)
HUEG SIGNATURE IS NUKED

October 01, 2005, 08:36:49 PM
Reply #8

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
wait so let me get this straight, even IF you have a copy of HL2 and CS:S, you still have to buy dod:S?

October 01, 2005, 08:48:00 PM
Reply #9

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
i also have to say many of the most rediculous things have been removed. for example the kar 98 is not longer the ultimate weapon.  no more one hit kill in melee and at range.
[snapback]53829[/snapback]
Lies, KAR98 still owns! You still get one hits, you just have to hit the chest or face(just like with the sniper rifles now). Although a lack of a bayonet is :(. You can get backstabs with knife and shovel now though lolol.

wait so let me get this straight, even IF you have a copy of HL2 and CS:S, you still have to buy dod:S?
[snapback]53831[/snapback]
Only if you bought the silver pack which was :10bux: more.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

October 02, 2005, 05:12:29 AM
Reply #10

confused!

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.confusionville.net
fewl, its true but the lack of bayonete means that, in an "oh crap! I ran around a corner and there's a dude" moment, you are not a death giving laser ninja bayonette type guy. Instead, the smg promptly owns the pants off of you with punch, mostly becasue of his fist of fury. (my current record is 2 guys with  bullets followed by 4 kills with the fist)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 03:21:57 PM by confused! »
HUEG SIGNATURE IS NUKED

October 02, 2005, 07:41:46 AM
Reply #11

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
But hey, the game is still pretty popular, so I guess it's just us there's something wrong with.

October 02, 2005, 09:02:24 AM
Reply #12

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
do all riflemen have the launchable grenades instead of melee weapons (like the bayo/riflebutt)??  >_< That makes plenty of sense seeing how....every single footsoldier in ww2 had launchable grenades from their rifles :huh:  But then again not every single german grenadier had a bayo on their k98.

unless they did, then I stand corrected. Which is why they should branch off both classes, or give an option to non launcher/bayo in later builds.

October 02, 2005, 01:46:18 PM
Reply #13

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Well, I like it.  Especially the rifle launched grenades- i thikn they are swet
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear
One part comm, one part cheerleader, 3 parts cuddly bear

October 02, 2005, 02:11:44 PM
Reply #14

Nooblet

• Legacy Admin
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://www.gorgerush.net
I hope the game flops and they'll release it for free!
Pissing DHP off one sig at a time.
Breaking the respect rule are we? *rolls up sleeves* - DHP
DHP, I love you.

October 02, 2005, 05:19:51 PM
Reply #15

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well, I like it.  Especially the rifle launched grenades- i thikn they are swet
[snapback]53841[/snapback]
Nade spam fest ftw?

October 04, 2005, 07:56:28 AM
Reply #16

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
I bought it in store.. And the bloody package didn't say if it was HL2 Silver or Bronze or Aluminum! From what I can tell, you have to buy DOD : S regardless right?
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

October 04, 2005, 08:15:33 AM
Reply #17

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
embrace your god that is steam m'lads.
-_^

October 04, 2005, 03:22:28 PM
Reply #18

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I bought it in store.. And the bloody package didn't say if it was HL2 Silver or Bronze or Aluminum! From what I can tell, you have to buy DOD : S regardless right?
[snapback]53882[/snapback]
If you bought it from the store, you have to buy DOD:S. If you bought it online and you bought silver or gold, you already bought it.