Author Topic: What's Your Playing Style  (Read 12070 times)

January 16, 2004, 11:40:11 AM
Read 12070 times

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
A spinoff of the commanding style ;) Generally, what are you best at, what are you still stupid at, how well do you play your marine game?

I tend to know what needs to be done and go do it, especially at the start of the game. I'll usually follow orders like a good little boy, but like goldfish can say: "Uranium! Stay in base!" - Uranium - 235 HMG Onos - Uranium - 235 HMG Onos - Uranium - 235 HMG Fade - "Oh... well... um, get back to base." I'm not too good with a shotgun (Sniping in games has never been my forte), though I have once gotten a lucky kill streak as skulks rushed me. I think everyone lost count, but I'm placing my kill streak with the shotgun somewhere around 20 skulks before I ran out of ammo :p. My weapon of choice is the HMG, and barring an onos, nothing can stop me.

Jetpacks, too, are too complex for me. I'm also terrible as a lerk, but the jetpacks is mainly the fault of 2.0's huge nerf of them. I'm (usually) rather quiet even though I have a headset mic, and I've had some commanders think I'm long dead until I'm calling for health in some hellhole behind the bodies of the Kharra gorges.

I also do best in a group of no larger then 3. Any more and it gets too hectic.

Oh and one more note: Never give me mines, I'm guarenteed to drop them wrong.

For aliens, I'm pretty much good to go with anything :p
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 12:46:19 PM by Uranium - 235 »

January 16, 2004, 12:12:29 PM
Reply #1

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I s'pose I'm probably best at being a marine, when I'm not having an off-day.  My aim is quite good - I'm just pretty bad with the grenade launcher.  The jetpack, I'm passable with.  Again - I have my on-days and my off-days.   ^^  I'm usually the guy who guards at base - and I feel that this where I excel more than anywhere else.

As an alien, I'm basically terrible with the onos - I usually don't bother, no matter how many resources I have.  I'm the best in the early game, when I'm a skulk fighting tier 1 marines and such.  As the game progresses, I progressively get worse and more prone to screwing up horribly.  I'm quite good as a hive 2 fade, and am decently good at gorging.

And that's the rundown  :huh:

January 16, 2004, 01:27:36 PM
Reply #2

.NmF. Screen

• Lerker

• View Profile
I think I am best when left alone as a gorge.  I can get structures and oc's up pretty fast, and I can defend myself pretty well.  If the other aliens keep the marines busy, I can have some good things waiting in base.

January 16, 2004, 02:17:43 PM
Reply #3

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
i don't like getting stuff usually, it just gets me stressed out. i know how tough it can be to scrimp on get ups and such. i'd almost always rather let the comm have me die in most situations.

i'm most comfortable with an upped lmg. i'm avg to poor with a shottie. but i DO love the GL, i know i know, the most expensive gun in the game. but taking out a 50 rez WOL with a 20 rez gun seems to appeal to my sense of economy and such. i also enjoy banking around quarters. i don't know what makes some one 'good' at the gl. i'm average, i mean, i can't gl a skulk outta mid air or anyhting. but i think the willinginess to take that gl and be an open target for so many aliens is 1/2 the battle with the gl :)

i can end up comming or giving advice fromt he field. but only if the comm is hesitant/lost and i like the guy. by the same token, i know how annoying it is to have ppl comm from the field, so i try to avoidit. i enjoy leading a team to a destination, capture a point, whatnot. the lack of iniative in NS always amazes me.

if the comm  is good, i'll do whatever they say, i'll guard base, run into ocs, whatever.

as an alien, i pretty much suck at almost everything, hands down. unless we are dealing with newbie rines who cluster together in cramped spaces, i'm usually dying. that's why i usually spend all my rez on rts or hives or up chambers. i'm also usually communicating what's going on and where we might need to be as an alien. it's like i have my finger on 'c' nonstop. so i guess that's my contribution.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

January 16, 2004, 02:32:27 PM
Reply #4

@gentOrange

• Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
My style of play is Mantis Style! Errr...Stealth.

Usually when I'm Marine if I'm alone I use walk and try to get the jump on any skulks not looking my way. My favorite gun for this is the shotgun because it just feels so good waiting till the last second when he's RIGHT in your face and popping him before his jaws close :).

As a skulk I try to play it stealth as well. I take vents most everywhere I go and listen for marines. Then follow them using the vent to whatever RT they are going to. Drop the guy building first then rush back into the vent and run off. Then walk back (to be quiet) and finish the other guy while he attempts to build.

If I can get cloaking I usually follow them untill I'm about licking their heels then start digging in. My fav combo is Cloak+Regen+Silence and I usually don't bother with higher lifeforms. Sometimes I gorge to seal off choke points and direct marines to high activity locations.

I usually toss back a couple barley sandwhiches (beers you dork) before nighttime play starts to loosen me up. Out of beer = harder substitute.
Sig size too big, 22kb is the max size, yours is 28kb - DHP

January 16, 2004, 02:51:48 PM
Reply #5

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah then you whine you're too drunk to play :D

I have the worst luck with the GL.

If I have it, I'm guarenteed to get lost and be alone with it.

If a skulk is leaping at me (ja, mein leapen!) I'm guarenteed to get an MA (Midair for you non-Tribers) inches in front of my face, killing us both.

Then there's my 'damn the torpedos' approach where when we're getting overwhelmed with skulks I 'blow my load' all over the floor and go down laughing, taking as many skulks as i can.

January 16, 2004, 03:36:24 PM
Reply #6

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
As a Kharaa, I generally like to be either Skulk or Onos. I'm terrible at Fade, possibly even worse than a lot of newbies, and I only Lerk if I feel we have the game in the bag and/or I want to harass the Marines (sniping out MS Res Tower on ns_hera, for example).

Usually the game will start, I will rush Marine base with some teammates. When I die, I'll do it again for good measure. Then I'll hang around MS, waiting for small groups of marines (usually three or less). I'll go to an area that needs help when someone tells me, and while I'm cruisin around the map, I'll parasite then try to take out any enemy nodes. Sometimes I'll suicide on an electrified node a few to take it out if I know Marines aren't going to try to get a welder to it. With Silence, I like to lie in wait in an area that I know some Marines will pass through, chomp em down before they realize I'm there. I won't stay in one specific place (a specific corner in a ceiling, or certain pipe top, etc). If I can constantly get the jump on an enemy, it'll keep them from wanting to come through the area that often.

After some time has passed (when I get to 40 res usually), I'll do one of two things:

1)  I'll ask if anyone has any objections to me dropping movement chambers, and I'll drop them if there are no objections. Then I'll skulk again and get Silence, because I am one hell of a Skulk with Silence (if I do say so myself).* Then I'll usually res whore to Onos after hive two and a few Dchams are up.

2) If someone has already put up Defense Chambers, I'll whore for Onos right off the bat. Depending on the res flow and my res from kills, I'll usually end up going Onos when hive two is halfway up. I'll go around the map and take out any Marine res towers and small outposts, and any rambos that I find.  After that is done, and after we have some movement chambers, I'll get Celerity and harass stronger marine outposts and main base. If there are no Marines in base, I'll always go for the Phase Gate first if there is one, but if not, the Arms Lab is my top priority. I very much dislike fighting upgraded weapons, and I also deny the Marines the ability to drop a Proto Lab if they don't have one yet.Then Armory, then IPs.

As some of you may have seen, I take Onosing rather seriously. I don't want to just rush into the heat of battle, I like to know whats going on, have some intel on the situation. Scent of Fear helps a lot becuase I can count how many Marines are in an area, and judge if I'm willing to take fire from that many with whatever weapon upgrade level they may have. I like to take a hit-and-run approach, and I always eliminate the greatest threat to my welfare asap (usually HA with HMG, stomped and devoured as soon as I can). I don't waste too much time with devour, if it doesn't work within the first two tries, I'll stomp again then Gore them. After I take out the biggest threat to me, I'll stomp the remaining marines and allow any nearby teammates, usually skulks, to take out the rest.

Sometimes I'll perma-gorge, as I know key locations to place OCs and Sens chams, etc. Usually I don't though, because I dont know whats going on out on the battlefeild, and I become worried about the progress of the game. And It always feels bad when we lose a game and I think "Man, if I had been out there fighting, I coulda stopped this from happening".

Whew, thats a lot of stuff I typed, now that I look back on it. I hope it helps you all get some ideas for things to try out, and I'll post my Marine style another time.

January 16, 2004, 03:51:41 PM
Reply #7

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
marine-wise I'm like rolling a dice; I'll either kill so many things and carve my way back to base with a knife (had some scary knife-kill runs) or hold off several onos with only an HMG and my lil self.  Then there's times I can't hit the broadside of a spaceship with a single LMG round, we're talking depressingly bad here; like I forgot the controls or something =s
On the bright side I'm almost suicidially loyal to the comm's orders almost always doing what I'm told even if it sounds a lil daft.

Alien-wise I'm more stable... consistantly ok though I have my bad days and my good days.  Except my good days are stupidly good.  If I'm on a roll with a fade I often end up shredding up the marine base almost single-handedly but it doesn't happen as often as I'd like =3

I never, ever, ever play onos.  I'm actually decent with onos and can devour jetpackers and jumping marines out of the air without trying but I don't like the big spacecows and always stick to the sleek fades, helpful gorgies and chuckling skulks no matter how much people scream they need lerk/onos.  Outside of that I enjoy a bit of teamplay =D
Scarily I'm actually a really good combat gorge though I tend to stay away from fighting with them if I can o.O

overall I'd say I'm just an average alien player and a bad marine player who gets lucky sometimes ^^

January 16, 2004, 04:44:13 PM
Reply #8

Ulatoh

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/user=starvingpoet
I am best at aliens, as i have the daring and the sneak idea down pat.  I am an expert ambusher, and can often keep all the rines inside their base when sent out in squads.  my favorite type is skulk, very fast...  My favorite upgrades are silence cloaking and regen
Virus removed.
Your sig pic contained naughty language. Removed. -lolfighter
I never had a sig pic :p
Then where'd that picture come from?
Nanites.

January 16, 2004, 04:54:38 PM
Reply #9

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I never, ever, ever play onos.  I'm actually decent with onos and can devour jetpackers and jumping marines out of the air without trying but I don't like the big spacecows and always stick to the sleek fades, helpful gorgies and chuckling skulks no matter how much people scream they need lerk/onos.
Pft, there goes all my material for jokes :D

January 16, 2004, 06:09:07 PM
Reply #10

Keyser59

• Gorge

• View Profile
Same here gem, sometimes I just wade my way through the piles of dead skulks, other times I get ambused and killed spawn after spawn after spawn.

On aliens I'm pretty consistent. Alot of times I like to fool my prey that I'm low on health and running away, then I jump out and surprise them. This works pretty effectively. When we get 2 hives up I pretty much forget everything and leap around killing at will.

January 16, 2004, 06:21:06 PM
Reply #11

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
I'm the anti-res whore when it comes to aliens, which is why I suck so bad with fade and onos.  I usually put up a hive every game, and cap a node whenever I see one.  I only go onos about once every week or so (not counting the ending stalemates).  I absolutely suck with onos though.  From all the 2.0 pub games, I got so used to the ending stalemates that I got into the habit of getting carapace every time I went fade or onos.  Now that I play regularly on lunix, i'm starting to try onos and fade while the game is "not over yet".  Naturally, these games don't have the big def chamber walls I'm used to from stalemates, so I gotta use regen.  I'm sure you can see the problem with a cara whore trying out regen for the first few times.  "OH noes we're in trouble!  I'll go onos!"  *2 minutes later, /me rushes at 3 HAs, dead sancho*  I need to learn how to be a pussy onos, not a suicidal onos. :p

Also, I absolutely hate ending game stalemates, so don't be suprised if you see me rush into their base and die in an attempt to take down a TF or something.

As far as marines go, I'm a order following machine, but I also like to play backseat comm.  I know some comms are annoyed by this, but it can make a big difference when the comm is overlooking something and also you can get a better perpective on things from below.

January 16, 2004, 07:51:40 PM
Reply #12

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
when i play rines , which is mostly . . . i try to sneak to alien res towers unnoticed and quickly take em down, need mt for that tho . . .

and i proclaim myself the gl master !!!
-_^

January 16, 2004, 11:13:08 PM
Reply #13

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
im best at alien, but master of distaster as a Onos, to me Onos in 2.0 and up arent meant to be tanks, there mainly meant to be hit/run weapons that cause mass destruction. i mastered devour (as most of u know who have been eaten by me) and i got the range down so i can eat u in bizzare palces (like all the way up high in vents railing etc) so usually when i go onos its either to slowly end the game or the team needs it. other then that i r t3h nubbpai (tho i am good at the shotty as rine :lol: )
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 11:13:23 PM by Diablus »

January 17, 2004, 08:48:34 AM
Reply #14

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Ok, let's see. I'm mostly aliens, although I usually join randomly. Seems like marines are always stacked...
As a vanilla skulk I'm average at best. With cloaking I'm good, silence helps a little. My favourites are cloaking - silence - regen, obviously. At three hives, my well-placed xeno-leaps become rather deadly though, but I'm rarely skulk by that point.
Gorging. I had a period where I would almost always permagorge. After placing my rt, I'd go "Hey, I've got 5 res, that's only 10 res away from another rt. I'll wait until I've placed that one as well" etc., so I've had a bit of training as a Gorge. One-on-one with a vanilla marine I'm usually dead meat, unless I have an rt to take cover behind, in which case my chances are at least 50-50. One of my favourites is placing two OCs beside each other, blocking off a hallway. Marine will see me behind the OCs and jump over to take me out. The problem is that I simply time my jump with his, and we end up in the same situation as before, just on opposite sides of the wall. He rarely lives to jump back. :)
Lerk. I love the Lerk. I need regeneration, but as soon as I have it I'm a pest. I know what kills a Lerk, and I dilligently steer clear of such situations, although a marine with good aim can sometimes surprise me and kill me anyway. Otherwise, the spore - spike combo is unbeatable. I'll spore 'em and make 'em chase me until they have to reload, then finish 'em off with spikes. Some maps are better suited to this than others. Origin is Godsent. I stay clear of marine spawn, focusing on killing the rines in the field instead. The rfk is mad.
Fade. I make a decent Fade. Not a really good one, but a decent one. I'll usually focus on taking the nodes down, an approach that tends to work well, but I can hold my own against vanilla rines as well. Shotguns and hmgs give me trouble, often to the point where I'll rather just go and do damage somewhere else than risk death.
Onos. Yeah bay-bee! Who doesn't love the Onos? Oh wait... Well, I do. I focus on staying alive, THEN on doing damage. As an Onos I'm slow, and a rush can kill me if I'm low on health and stamina, I know this. Staying alive is my number one priority until we get at least two more Onos up and running, which is what I call "critical mass", the point where we just run rampant through the map.

My biggest weakness as an alien is being fed up with my team, or deciding that I've done enough for them. At some point I'll simply go "Ok, I've built enough stuff for the team, time to reswhore!" And sometimes when my team is being particularly n00bish (im my opinion) I'll just go and sit in a vent and sulk. Usually when we have one hive and all of their team is outfitted in Heavy Armor. Seems like nobody takes down the rts if I don't... So much for going Lerk. *grumble*

As a marine, I manage to get by. My aim has now reached a point where skulks in the open rarely kill me. Once they get up close I have serious problems though, and usually die. I like Heavy Armor (who doesn't?), and can do decently well with a JP depending on the map.
HMG: I love it, what more can I say?
Shotgun: VERY mixed feelings. I like the one-hit-wonder that it is, but I dislike that I have to let the enemy get close first: My high ping means that I'll usually kill skulks in one blast up close, then get bitten a fraction of a second later. As a heavy this isn't much of a problem, but as a vanilla rine I don't do too well with the shotgun. And I hate dying with equipment.
GL: I tend to get direct hits from time to time (and managed to kill a fleeing Onos at least once), but usually I'll just stay in the background and spam the battlefield in front of me when the fighting starts.

My biggest weakness is probably taking orders. Unless the commander is very tight and I'm 100% sure that he is 100% sure of what he's doing, I'll try to "interpret" orders given to me, which sometimes leads to me not doing what the commander wants me to do. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes I screw up.

January 17, 2004, 09:52:45 AM
Reply #15

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I've noticed most of you (and most other players) choose cloaking for the Sensory upgrade. Cloaking is fine and dandy, but I'm too impatient to cloak walk around a map to follow a couple marines. I much preffer to have scent of fear with my silence and regeneration, as I can cling to walls/ceilings, or hide out in a vent, and watch through the walls as my prey comes in my direction. Then I just drop down behind em and have a little snack.

I also like scent of fear for intel; the more I know about a situation, the better prepared I can be in a situation moments later. If someone on the team is kind of a spaz and says theres a bunch of marines building a phase gate outside of the hive, I'll use sof to check and see how many there are, or how few there are as in some occurrances. Its also good to help get a general area to target when you leap into marine base and xenocide. And of course its a great way to keep unwanted marines out of vents and small passageways, who would normally go unnoticed by my teammates.

January 17, 2004, 11:22:40 AM
Reply #16

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Aliens: Rush first to get a few spare RFKs from the noobs trying to figure out how to buy an AWP. Unless we had a successful rush last time, as I don't like to win games in 2 minutes every time. It gets dull. Then gorge and drop an RT. Look at the board. Lots of gorges? Go back to skulk and harass for a while. I'm the only gorge? Time for gorge rage. Accept the role of permagorge for the rest of the game, but harass my team via voice comm until a few more people drop RTs. Then use the res from them to drop more RTs, save for chambers. Then save for hive. With this sort of team, the hive usually gets splattered before it's finished building, so then go skulk and run around practicing my ambush techniques until the ping o death sounds.

This wasn't meant to turn into a diatribe against noobs... oops. Anyway, aliens with a good team: I'll usually go back to skulk after dropping an RT or two and get RFKs and take down marine RTs until me or someone else has res for 2nd hive. If someone else is so kind as to drop hive two: Gorge again and drop 4 DCs at hive one. Check the res flow? We doing well? Skulk around until I get leap (the BEST ability in the game) then really start pissing off the marines with leap bites to the face. Once I've got the res do the hive check again. Someone dropping hive? IF no, I'll drop it, if yes, drop MCs. In the rare event that the hive's going up AND someone has already dropped MCs, go fade. Take down any remaining elec'ed RTs and yell 'free node at X' for the gorgies. Find where the marines are moving and harass them along the way. Hive three up: go to MS and start acid rocketing the hell out of them, using SoF to know when to blink away just as they come around the corner.

I rarely go onos, and not without a good plan. In end game I'd prefer to stand back and fling acid rockets or even gorge and lame up the hallway than to be the big target rushing into MS and drawing all the lev3 HMG fire. Although the onos do make great distractions when xenoleaping. If the team can't seem to get it together for a final assault on MS, I'll usually go lerk and umbra/scream to help them out.

Preferred upgrade for almost anything is Regen, Adren, SoF. The other upgrades I'll only get with a specific plan in mind. Those three allow for great variability in your attack plan, which is useful if the marines are any good.

Now on the marines side: Stand around while no commander flashes at the screen. Watch a couple noobs run off. If someone jumps in the chair: Build build build. IF there's lots of people building already, I'll usually leave them to it and head for the first RT myself. Often some wise player comes with me. Great building runs have been started this way, where we get 3 or 4 RTs up right off the bat before base is even done building. Remember, seconds can count in this game. If the comm seems to know what he's doing I'll follow my orders to the letter. I occasionally give comments from the field, but I at least always check our resflow first. The only equipment I EVER ask for is a welder, because I can't stand marines that constantly beg for a shotgun/hmg.

I much prefer the jetpack to HA. Give me a jetpack and a GL or Shotgun and I'll give the aliens a run for their money. My GL aim isn't amazing, but I can usually manage to make all my shots hit the target and know when to back away to reload. So many GLers just stand there while reloading. As a skulk, I'll have your legs off at the knees before you can finish reloading that incredibly slow weapon. This is why I love the JP. Fire four shots into hive, fly back halfway across the map while reloading. Then repeat. HA is great however when you've got a good team. Everyone moving together and welding eachother is a sight to see. However, with normal pub nubs that almost never happens. Thus the great love for the Jetpack. IF even one guy can make it into the hive, he can cause a great deal of shotgun damage with a modicum of med/ammospam. By the time they take him down, you're ready to send in two more jetpackers. Fun for the whole family!

HMGs I really don't like so much at all. They're great for killing aliens, but they suck against structures. And you can kill 100 aliens and still lose the game, while shooting down a single hive can win it for you. I'd much rather have a weapon that was designed to win this game that one that was designed to up my kill numbers. This is why as comm I almost always drop shotguns instead of HMGs, unless it's end game and pointless and we might as well take as many onos as we can with us. HMG is the elephant gun for onos. I think I'm starting to ramble, so I'll stop myself before this gets too long. (too late!)

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

January 17, 2004, 04:59:14 PM
Reply #17

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
Grimm:  I agree, more people should be using scent of fear.  Also, for those that think scent of fear only detects hurt marines...you're wrong.  I have proof.

Permagorge is never a good idea.  If you put stuff down and you have 0 res, going skulk and then killing a couple marines not only helps out your team, but gets you extra res you need to build whatever you want.  If I ever see any of you standing around as a gorge "waiting for res", I'll kill your family pet. >:D

January 17, 2004, 05:04:14 PM
Reply #18

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Permagorge is never a good idea.  If you put stuff down and you have 0 res, going skulk and then killing a couple marines not only helps out your team, but gets you extra res you need to build whatever you want.  If I ever see any of you standing around as a gorge "waiting for res", I'll kill your family pet. >:D
Actually it's more cost effective to stay as a gorge and attack marines. If you die, big deal, you come back as a skulk, but without having spent 2 res. If you don't die, you possibly saved yourself 2 res from going skulk, and 10 res from going gorge again.

January 18, 2004, 09:41:40 AM
Reply #19

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Well, I'm a tribes man, so I have a great love of most weapons non-hitscan. GL for me!

I'm also a twitchy little SOB, so I like to get my grubby hands on a shotgun whenever I'm not comming. HMG's are for wimps, but I can handle them pretty well :).

I'm usually either in the comm chair as marine or a base guard/GOTO man. As aliens, I'm really only good with the skulk, hiding in corners then biting the faces off half a squad until I get the res to drop a hive. I die in about 2 seconds as fade/onos, so noboby ever let me waste res by going to either of those lifeforms :).