Author Topic: Charge or Seige  (Read 3591 times)

May 12, 2005, 08:46:26 PM
Read 3591 times

SuicidaL MonkeY

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
Marine commanders have the task of the utmost importance, so why can you sometimes decide on sending us soldiers in guns blazing, then if a marine or 2 gets killed, call us back and start a seige?

I know this sounds a little odd, but i think its a big part in why everyone is in a lil marine winning slump as of late. Depending on our upgrades and if phase tech has been researched, if you, (the commander), order your marines to charge from base or whichever location they have gathered/grouped up, drop a phase and send us in full metal, you have to expect a few casualties in this kinda work. Ordering the now, " out of ammo, requesting meds marines", back to the phase gate to build the TF, gives the aliens the ultimate counter attack, where they can kill without retaliation. Very much so with their little addition of retaining health at a few clicks a second, regardless if DC's are dropped or not.

Knowing what you want to do to an active hive helps alot more than sending us in expecting us to shoot the hive and the hive only when its most probably past 5 minutes with one lerk and one fade, then/or start a seige and ask everyone to powerbuild, everything you drop structure wise.

Sending in Marines in an active hive with weapons 2 and armor 1 with half shooting the hive and the other half shooting any Kharra that appeared would have much more of a chance bringing it down, same as seiging down a hive by having 2 or 3 Marines building, with the rest of the team making a perimiter around the structures being built. Yes, turrets help out in a seige, especially when the soldiers are reloading, i find they tend to survive the fade attacks.

Medpacks and ammo packs are a definite must have in order to survive object with the Marines, especially with the gas from the lerks, and theres still some experienced commanders who dont drop meds or ammo at a time of taking down a hive, they end up having to save res for a seige due to low res flow as an example.

I'm not taking stabs at anyone's commanding style, we need to save enough res for meds and ammo on top of the structures that need to be dropped.

I did not base this on one person's decisions in the chair, i've done these things as a commander before, and not just once. Its seems like a habit that has the marines dumbfounded as of late. Obviously this is just my opinion and could have not one thing to do with the imbalance as of late, but i just found it odd that the more i thought of it the more it made sense. What do you soldiers think of it? Maniacal i am as usual, i ask for your Commanding / Grunt reply's.   ^_^

May 12, 2005, 09:34:26 PM
Reply #1

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
It depends.. on a lot of stuff. :p
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

May 12, 2005, 10:14:16 PM
Reply #2

Asal

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
As someone not a commander, I just do what I'm told: BUT, if the comm is slotkicked in the middle, and nobody catches the ball, I field comm it according to the following:

How much res do we have?  With a lot of res, and a low number of higher lifeforms, I will call for someone to get in the chair just to drop stuff, and we seige them out.  With less res, or more higher life forms, I call for a mad rush.  When the only res is spent on beacons.

If I KNOW the alien response is going to be fast (long, epic games let you get a feel for the enemy team)  I will even call when to fire on a hive rush.

If I KNOW the alien response will be slow, I want as many shots in that bloody hive as can be.  Therefor, first person to see it better be the first person to shoot it.

Ummm, I'll add a little more later.  But remember, I have a little different perspective than most, only knowing field comming, and not actual comming.  Kinda like short bus/real bus difference.
Asal 'The Unforgiving'
Fedaykin, Warrior of the Desert Mouse

"I will live to be immortal...or die trying!"

May 13, 2005, 01:40:08 PM
Reply #3

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I have to say marines lose many games because the commanders are incapable of understanding how the reaction of the Alien team may be toward a siege. If you siege you need to make sure you have upgrades, thast a must. you need shotguns because everything will be very close fighting (especially when the fades come to the rescue)

Commanders also need to realize that siegeing ALiens at hive 2 is a big mistake if the Aliens are working together. Bile bomb + 2 gorges healing the hive = eventually a run down of Marine stronghold to the evercomming skulks.

the only *safe* hives to siege are building ones and or hive 1. Other than that its usually the Bile Bomb that breaks the Marines attempt.

May 13, 2005, 02:00:52 PM
Reply #4

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Charge. Charge charge charge, JPs and shotties for everyone, sing Ride of the Valkyrie over the voicecomm.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

May 13, 2005, 09:30:37 PM
Reply #5

Absinthe

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
WARNING: Long post ahead!

As Gold said it totally depends on the scenario. I find commanding to be very similar to Starcraft, where instead of me actually having to control the units and macro the base at the same time, the micro is controlled by the individual players. This is a good and bad thing, in Starcraft between two evenly skilled players; you can normally tell who has the advantage at the time in question. NS on the other hand has much more variance in terms of what is possible; for example 1 skulk owning 3 marines which in theory shouldn’t happen but actually does.

All else being equal, with an even # of players on the team all scenarios should in theory be fair. Smart comms will not treat it that way, but rather go with the flow of the game. If you know for a fact you team has nobody with decent aim, you’re not about to push into a hive against 1-2 good fades unless you can out gun them by a long shot. You have to know what your team is capable of before you can make any real decisions on strategy. This is one reason why pub games are much different than league matches, comms know what their team is capable of, but that’s rarely the case in pubs since it’s almost never the exact same team/comm. As with any situation, setup / timing / positioning are the most critical to attacking hives. I used to factor aim into that equation but even with the most advanced players on your team anything can happen. This is just my opinion, there’s a million other factors I could throw in here but don’t have time for.

Setup is having the all the tools capable of doing the job properly. You can’t piece things together at the last minute and hope to pull out a win. It may happen 1 out of 10 times if you get lucky, but you’ll fall on your face and demoralize your team (if disorganization hasn’t got to them already) when you fail. First you need a general plan of attack IN ADVANCE. It helps to know the maps, the hive in particular, and be aware of life-forms on the opposing teams. Marines can rarely risk any of that on-the-fly stuff unless it’s an emergency or miracles present themselves. Comms need to TOTALLY be in charge of these scenarios, you can’t let field leaders/comms control what’s happening since they aren’t seeing the over all picture. Equipment varies at different stages of the game, but if you’re keeping up with upgrades and tech any hive can go down to the right strategy. Early game pg/shotguns, mid game siege and heavy weapons, and even late game trains are all workable options. Getting people organized is the commanders main job, people may get into position to get a pg up, but the commander needs to notify everyone and make sure they are aware of the plan. Otherwise you’ll beacon randomly and say phase but no one will know what’s going on. It’s good to get marines mentally prepped for rushes; it’s a lot harder to take them down in groups when everyone has their game face on. Resources are like insurance, you need to have some spare at all times during a hive assault. You should have resources for meds/ammo primarily, weapons/heavies for those respawning, back up structures in case things go down… this will keep your team alive. When assaulting a hive no one knows how long it will take to get it down, so plan for the worst case scenario.

Timing may in fact be the most critical factor in NS. MT should be used primarily by the commander when timing an attack, or if you don’t have MT you need team recon. If you can ninja a PG outside a hive being covered by few units, prepare your team as I mentioned before, wait till fades/onos or their important life-forms are not in critical locations and then give the go ahead. For example, on ns_caged, you ninja a pg outside sewer and aliens don’t know. Wait until the time is right! Let’s say they’re trying to clear out dbl because you have rts there or are on the other side of the map at a hive they don’t own or have mc’s at. That’s a perfect time to beacon everyone and rush in with shotguns even. Sure it’s not that easy, but you get the point, take an advantage when you can. Just like after killing a teams one and only fade (hell I die all the time)! When better to push into position as a team and get a fortified outpost near their hive set up, why wait until that person re-fades or someone else does. Know when hives are dropped/go up, usually between 3-6 minutes; it’s much easier to siege a building hive against 1 chamber units with no 3rd ability than waiting. Fades / Onos become nearly invincible after the 2nd hive is up if they are smart.

Positioning relies heavily on map knowledge. Certain hives have extremely weak defense to siege at certain areas (cargo bay on tanith), while others are impossible to siege (archiving on hera). If you plan to siege, the resource commitment is huge, so know what you’re doing. Don’t just plop things down anywhere and hope to God you’re in range, I’ve learned this the hard way so take my word for it. I mentioned having lots of resources to spare because a siege outpost can cost roughly 70 dollars [adv. tf (25) / 3 siege cannons (45)] in change. That doesn’t even include pg/turrets/mines. That’s no small bit of cash, and you sure as hell don’t want to wait for it to trickle in while you’re under attack and your team is calling for med packs. If you aren’t attempting to siege, be sure keep track of enemy units/structures. That means units outside the hive, ones that are in the hive, and static defense/chambers. If you have no chance in hell of taking down the hive and are fighting a war of attrition, take out their structures (very weak) in the base while fending them off. It has roughly the same effect as marines losing their AL and can cripple fade / onos / lerk effectiveness. Comms should watch the Scoreboard, be aware of how many aliens are dead/respawning. Pushing into a hive when all aliens are alive is suicide (unless the majority is nowhere near the hive); try to pick them off while they attack your marines/pg. You should have 2 IPs if they have 2 hives, so spawning rate is equal. Aliens will come after you, they don’t allow you to setup, so play defensively until you have the headcount advantage, THEN make your move. Make use of beacon! Aliens have one key disadvantage in hive rushes, and that is when their whole team is dead they can’t just reappear all at once! This can be a very slow process for them and outnumbering respawning skulks while you take down a hive isn’t such a problem do deal with.

On a side note: One thing I have never been to sure about is the so called rule on spawn camping, it’s much too vague and I’d like to see proper clarification about it in a well thought out post made by the admins. If one exists already, please link me to it. In theory (matches) you’d have ½ of the team attacking the hive and the rest defending the attackers so no one dies. On LM that’s a bannable offense to my knowledge. Apparently you’d have to be shooting the hive or structures and hopefully when something respawns, you’ve got ammo in your gun (or someone else does) to then focus your aim on the unit to kill it before it gets to you. This puts marines at a further disadvantage since that basically means you’d never rush a hive without siege/heavy weapons/armor/jps; you just couldn’t do enough damage nor survive the spawning skulk attacks without insane aim or ammo conservation. All of that is only available in the late game with resource domination, and as we all know aliens tend to dominate the majority of mid/late games. I’m not complaining about the rule, just making an observation and requesting a more defined set of rules. I know why the rule is in place, so I don’t disagree with it, but it’s mainly for Rambo spawn campers and I think it needs to be discussed.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, I hope that helped. I’ve been trying to comm more often lately and help get marines players into a more organized fashion than they normally seem to be when I’m playing for aliens. I’ve noticed spear/newborn/rad and many of the other regular comms all have different styles, no matter what it is though you should listen to what they want to do because bottom line is they make the real decisions. Most of them have been doing it for long enough to know what works and what doesn’t, so don’t ignore them just because it isn’t something you would do (unless of course its completely retarded like relocate to pad on hera :p).

Questions? Comments? Medpacks?
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

May 14, 2005, 02:03:17 AM
Reply #6

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
It's pretty simple.  

Lifeforms: Charge if your bigger concern is skulks and onos then fades and lerks

Recon: The more they know you are there the less likely your charge will work, If they know you are there but haven't got there yet, it depends on how much time you think it would take to get all your marines into the hive and shooting it.  Never charge if you can't afford at least 4 SGs, unless you are ABSOLUTLY SURE that the aliens DO NOT know you are there.

Chambers: Don't charge Scs or 3 or more Oc's period (HAs can handle up to 6 ocs if the aliens are a little clueless).  It's too risky and will not pay off 90% of the time.

JP's: JPs are tricky as they are the ultimate charging weapon.  However, you will find that if your teams are evenly matched it is often a good idea to lay down siege before you all rambo in, just to clear OCs, as OCs totally OWN jps.  Keep in mind, JPs are the ultimate chargers, but they are also the ultimate small base defence, since they are HARD to focus on under turret fire, and don't get stuck in close quarters combat, ever.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

May 14, 2005, 10:24:57 AM
Reply #7

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I think marines should almost always siege a completed hive. The only time they shouldn't is when no or very few aliens are around. But even a little cluster of skulks have a chance of taking out a group of marines inside a hive. They run out of ammo, the skulks are getting hive healed and are swarming. If there are OC's or higher lifeforms? Forget it, that's suicide (again, unless there are VERY few aliens around). Even with heavy armor it's a big risk. Jetpacks have a much better chance with a rush, but as someone said they get totally owned by OC's.

Unbuilt hives are way easier to rush because there's no hive healing. That's also the time when it's crucial to attack all the aliens, since they can't heal. Many times I've been able to kill a group of marines shooting an unbuilt hive beause none of them bothered to shoot me. "Just shoot the hive, omg omg omg!" is not always the way to go.
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."