Author Topic: Is this an old or new strat?  (Read 3525 times)

May 11, 2005, 10:57:09 PM
Read 3525 times

E-Fonzarelli

• Skulk

• View Profile
As some of you may know i've been comm'ing a bit lately with a pretty good success rate (i hope i'm not playing against nubs) but anyways, i've found a good way, and I thought i'd share.

Get in that chair and build an armory and scream at everyone to get out of base and get res.  With the wonderful random factor of humans, they will go every which direction while one person will stay in base.

When the first person makes it to a hive and you figure out what hive the aliens are not going for, throw up an RT and TF right next to it.  Elect the RT since it has UBER health.  After this, start building base like normal, and build an IP as needed.  Since this is an early one hive lockdown, you can concentrate all forces without electrification of anything else on the other hive.  Also, I like to get phase tech, and sit that gate right next to the RT so anything will be zapped.  

Also, if I really start to get res flowing, OR if I am not successful in cap'ing the first hive quickly, then i'll throw a TF in base and build everything around an elect'ed RT....  that way my marines can get the heck out of base and my TF will own any skulks that might be so brave to venture in to take some bites.

Crap...    I'd continue but i'm sure you got the point, and I have company.

May 12, 2005, 01:21:46 AM
Reply #1

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
Honestly i think after 4-5 minutes you better have a PG up at that one hive lockdown because the fade will start to take it down but its good for keeping skulks\lerks away for the first few minutes of the game.

Also the electric TF in base idea works good but what i have done its place a big cluster of buildings near a corner with a electrified TF somewhere where it can reach no matter where they attack the buildings.  And make the buildings futher away from your comm chair so you can get out and shoot them without them already being on top of you.

May 12, 2005, 03:38:43 AM
Reply #2

CryForMe

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
well as much as everyone likes to discuss rine strat, i'd like to put out an aliens strat.

I've been seeing a lot of alien losses lately, even on teams with people who could easily overwhelm a rine team with skill in the beginning few minutes of the game. This shouldnt ever happen.

The strat is simple to execute and can vary with team sizes. There are four important positions to fill. When the game starts, one alien (generally done by me, as you all know) should gorge in the hive immediately and drop the first chamber. Regardless of what the chamber is, it gives the aliens an instant upgrade to use. One person should save for the hive, and possibly one for fade, although this isnt necessary due to RFK. EVERYONE else should run as fast as possible to a node, drop it, build it, then reskulk. On an 8 man team, if done right, this means that you can have 5-6 nodes in under 45 seconds, locked up tight. The gorge that dropped chambers should have enough res within the first minute to drop the second chamber, and by 2 minutes or less, the third. Now, assuming the chamber is movement, this enables full silence skulks in less than 2 mins. There are very very few comms who will rush MT, which means that skulks have a very strong advantage over rines until about minute 4, when mt should be done or in process.  However, by minute 4, if the RT's are being defended reasonably well, aliens should have a second hive going up and at least one fade and a lerk. By 6 minutes, the second hive will be up and the second batch of chambers dropped. After that, its all downhill for rines as theyre now dealing with hive 2 aliens with 2 upgrades and lots of higher lifeforms. To close, the best order ive seen for chambers is definitely M-D-S, simply because a wounded fade can blink to a hive, heal and be back in combat on one hive faster than rines can take down an RT, and then with metabolize and carapace, its all over.

The strat is VERY simple and i've seen it executed well, especially in games where Goldfish and Guen are on my team. They know the strat and put it to work. I've seen hive 2 going up inside of 3 minutes when done properly, and 2 fades killing everything in sight by the time the second hive was done.

Res is the key to winning NS games now. If rines lock down res, they win. If aliens lock down res, they win. If you are aliens facing a 2 hive lockdown, but you have 6 nodes and res out the wazoo, you can rush a hive with 3-4 fades or 2 onos and some skulks and there goes the rine strat out the window, as well as their base more than likely. But if you try and play it out with 2 or 3 rt's, you're going to lose because the rines are going to have JP/HA really quick and just march into your hives and take em out like butter. Same goes for rines. Rines with no upgrades, but 5-6 rt's (and well placed PG's) can drop unlimited amounts of shotguns and take down higher lifeforms with ease. Res is KEY.
"What do I do first when I comm?"-NSPlayer(2)
"You need to build an RTFM interface."-CFM

May 12, 2005, 04:55:07 AM
Reply #3

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
well as much as everyone likes to discuss rine strat, i'd like to put out an aliens strat.

I've been seeing a lot of alien losses lately, even on teams with people who could easily overwhelm a rine team with skill in the beginning few minutes of the game. This shouldnt ever happen.

The strat is simple to execute and can vary with team sizes. There are four important positions to fill. When the game starts, one alien (generally done by me, as you all know) should gorge in the hive immediately and drop the first chamber. Regardless of what the chamber is, it gives the aliens an instant upgrade to use. One person should save for the hive, and possibly one for fade, although this isnt necessary due to RFK. EVERYONE else should run as fast as possible to a node, drop it, build it, then reskulk. On an 8 man team, if done right, this means that you can have 5-6 nodes in under 45 seconds, locked up tight. The gorge that dropped chambers should have enough res within the first minute to drop the second chamber, and by 2 minutes or less, the third. Now, assuming the chamber is movement, this enables full silence skulks in less than 2 mins. There are very very few comms who will rush MT, which means that skulks have a very strong advantage over rines until about minute 4, when mt should be done or in process.  However, by minute 4, if the RT's are being defended reasonably well, aliens should have a second hive going up and at least one fade and a lerk. By 6 minutes, the second hive will be up and the second batch of chambers dropped. After that, its all downhill for rines as theyre now dealing with hive 2 aliens with 2 upgrades and lots of higher lifeforms. To close, the best order ive seen for chambers is definitely M-D-S, simply because a wounded fade can blink to a hive, heal and be back in combat on one hive faster than rines can take down an RT, and then with metabolize and carapace, its all over.

The strat is VERY simple and i've seen it executed well, especially in games where Goldfish and Guen are on my team. They know the strat and put it to work. I've seen hive 2 going up inside of 3 minutes when done properly, and 2 fades killing everything in sight by the time the second hive was done.

Res is the key to winning NS games now. If rines lock down res, they win. If aliens lock down res, they win. If you are aliens facing a 2 hive lockdown, but you have 6 nodes and res out the wazoo, you can rush a hive with 3-4 fades or 2 onos and some skulks and there goes the rine strat out the window, as well as their base more than likely. But if you try and play it out with 2 or 3 rt's, you're going to lose because the rines are going to have JP/HA really quick and just march into your hives and take em out like butter. Same goes for rines. Rines with no upgrades, but 5-6 rt's (and well placed PG's) can drop unlimited amounts of shotguns and take down higher lifeforms with ease. Res is KEY.
[snapback]48353[/snapback]
That's the standard issue alien strat for clan matches and pugs... The one change is that MDS and MSD are pretty much interchangable, since in the hands of a good fade or lerk focus is absolutly godly, and it does a better job of anti JP fighting.  Something clanners put alot of weight in, since a well executed jp/shotty rush wastes a hive in seconds, where as HA are easier to deal with conventionally (and don't require you to waste res on OCs)
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

May 12, 2005, 11:02:42 AM
Reply #4

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
CFM, half those gorges would get murdered at their nodes if the rines had any sense.
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

May 12, 2005, 11:44:26 AM
Reply #5

CryForMe

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
which they generally dont, so it usually works. and for being a standard issue alien strat, i rarely see this strat being used. Usually its me dropping chambers, then maybe one person saving for hive and one person capping an rt, and everyone else screaming "i'm going lerk!" then dying 10 seconds after they evolve.

May 12, 2005, 12:19:27 PM
Reply #6

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
EVERYONE else should run as fast as possible to a node, drop it, build it, then reskulk. On an 8 man team, if done right, this means that you can have 5-6 nodes in under 45 seconds, locked up tight. The gorge that dropped chambers should have enough res within the first minute to drop the second chamber, and by 2 minutes or less, the third.
That's the standard issue alien strat for clan matches and pugs...
[snapback]48355[/snapback]

IIRC, it is NOT a standard strat in pubs to BOOM like this. THis is more a high levelish type pub strat. In a scrim, the comm should be rushing those nodes and gorgies like crazy.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

May 12, 2005, 12:37:18 PM
Reply #7

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Well, if the marines are poor enough to allow 4 or more nodes to be captured, I think they'll lose regardless of the alien strat. :p
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

May 12, 2005, 03:22:26 PM
Reply #8

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
EVERYONE else should run as fast as possible to a node, drop it, build it, then reskulk. On an 8 man team, if done right, this means that you can have 5-6 nodes in under 45 seconds, locked up tight. The gorge that dropped chambers should have enough res within the first minute to drop the second chamber, and by 2 minutes or less, the third.

IIRC, it is NOT a standard strat in pubs to BOOM like this. THis is more a high levelish type pub strat. In a scrim, the comm should be rushing those nodes and gorgies like crazy.
[snapback]48382[/snapback]
They do.  That's the reason why no one perms and everyone goes back skulk right away.  You have 2 saving skulks who are around to keep your three field RTS reasonably covered, so all in all you do have some ability to defend your four instagorgies until they reskulk.

May 12, 2005, 04:36:19 PM
Reply #9

CryForMe

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
and remember that rines generally dont work well together. usually 2 or 3 stay in base to build while the others go to cap the nodes immediately around MS. if the aliens rush all nodes relatively close to the hive, they can have em up and be back to skulk before rines even get close.

May 12, 2005, 04:52:04 PM
Reply #10

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net

They do.  That's the reason why no one perms and everyone goes back skulk right away.  You have 2 saving skulks who are around to keep your three field RTS reasonably covered, so all in all you do have some ability to defend your four instagorgies until they reskulk.
[snapback]48409[/snapback]

Please READ what I'm quoting spear. "EVERYONE caps an rt". Yeah, that just isn't going to fly. 6 gorgies running around == rines with no resistance to cut and burn the entire alien economy 2 mins in.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

May 14, 2005, 03:48:43 AM
Reply #11

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site

[snapback]48409[/snapback]

Please READ what I'm quoting spear. "EVERYONE caps an rt". Yeah, that just isn't going to fly. 6 gorgies running around == rines with no resistance to cut and burn the entire alien economy 2 mins in.
[snapback]48414[/snapback]
with 8v8 teams the farther out nodes only start getting gorged for when the close nodes are pretty much finished and the gorge is ready to go back to skulk.  The smaller the game you have to worry less and less about expanding too far.  One way or another, the time it takes 2 marines to take down an RT is JUST below the time it takes for your gorges to get back to skulk, meaning at best you get down 3 RTs, and that's assuming your rine team is INCREADIBLY competent and your alien team is quite incompetent.

For the record your gorges don't run around, they just do thier job and go back to skulk.