Author Topic: What would you want to see in Source version?  (Read 7710 times)

May 05, 2005, 06:30:31 PM
Read 7710 times

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
Just like the title says :-P

I made a thread here for some other the other stuff that would be cool:

http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....topic=91852&hl=

But recently i thought that just having new "proper" hitboxes would be awesome... although it sounds like hl2 has the same problems that hl1 hitboxes do :(

May 05, 2005, 10:39:27 PM
Reply #1

Guspaz

• Reserved Slot
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://teknews.net
I want a flat out exact direct port with no enhancements.

Let me explain. This type of port is the fastest to get out the door, and immediately gives us access to many of Source's features. For example, you'd suddenly have surroundsound, which is an enormous improvement in audio. There are also way too many little things that are just "better" to even think of all at once.

Once that initial port is out, then they could start working on updating maps, models, textures, etc.

That said, Flayra made some comments that are along the same line as the above, which I've been saying since before Source-based games even came out.

May 05, 2005, 11:58:29 PM
Reply #2

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I want a flat out exact direct port with no enhancements.

Let me explain. This type of port is the fastest to get out the door, and immediately gives us access to many of Source's features. For example, you'd suddenly have surroundsound, which is an enormous improvement in audio. There are also way too many little things that are just "better" to even think of all at once.

Once that initial port is out, then they could start working on updating maps, models, textures, etc.

That said, Flayra made some comments that are along the same line as the above, which I've been saying since before Source-based games even came out.
[snapback]47919[/snapback]
Too unprofessional for a dev team wanting to wow investors.  I personally may like said port, but I think in the long run I'm going to be happy with whatever we end up with.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

May 06, 2005, 01:37:02 AM
Reply #3

CryForMe

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
how bout a non-weak-in-the-pants onos? that sounds like a winner to me!
"What do I do first when I comm?"-NSPlayer(2)
"You need to build an RTFM interface."-CFM

May 06, 2005, 03:53:39 AM
Reply #4

Slink

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
i'll be the first to say it.  a flamethrower.  other than that, i dunno.  more environment interactivity?  weldables are nice and all, but NS maps that changed drastically seem like they could be much more fun.
"That's a rather tender subject.  Another slice anyone?"

*Warning: Content May Not Be "G" Rated.  And it may be morally reprehensible, to boot.

May 06, 2005, 06:08:31 AM
Reply #5

SgtFury

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Yes areas of the map that start out as weldable boxes on the sides of the map but then fold out like a Dungeon Dice Cube from Yugi Oh to create a flat corridor that can be any shape or direction you want and another weldable on the end of that exactly the same so that no map you play will ever be the same again. (Takes a breath)

:blink:

Can I have my medicine now please............

May 06, 2005, 06:48:18 AM
Reply #6

Krytos

• Lerker

• View Profile
    • http://www.taylor.edu/
Ragdoll physics done right.

Could be a major buff to Onos charge.  Imagine seeing fellow marines fly around a corner and spaltter on the wall.  Now that would make anyone fear the 3 hive Onos again.
If it moves, shoot it.
If it is still moving, shoot it again.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.

May 06, 2005, 07:11:49 AM
Reply #7

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
When I am, I am at what I see and not where hit boxes will be.  I hate it when you bust a sg clip in a skulks face and nothing registers and you die....hitboxes baby, all hitboxes and more perfect hitboxes.

May 06, 2005, 07:53:49 AM
Reply #8

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
A flat port....... I dunno, I mean I dont have HL2, I've no real incentive to buy HL2, and a flat port isnt going to make me want to suddenly buy said game.

THAT SAID... I'm sure a flat port would be good for people who play HL2 mods more than HL1, and would also snare a few new guys.

As for the source optimised super duper NS... they'd be better off starting again and calling it NS2. Dont get me wrong, NS could use working hitboxes and Onos that can charge people into the air like dolls, but at the same time there's a lot of other stuff that could be added into NS, and rather than "bolting on" these improvements I think they really warrant their own game.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

May 06, 2005, 10:21:48 AM
Reply #9

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Just hitboxes! That's all I ask for.

Except for more detailed maps + textures, but that's like, you know, goes in by default :lol:
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

May 06, 2005, 11:25:13 AM
Reply #10

Dead_Meat

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
dune buggies
we definatly need dune buggies for marines so they can do drive-by's on the hive and try to run over aliens (or other rines acidentily of corse).
then aliens could jack the buggies but cant really drive them to well due to the lack of an opposable thumb so they just kinda crash back and forth into things till
it breaks down or exploades.

May 06, 2005, 11:49:06 AM
Reply #11

SuicidaL MonkeY

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Close Slink, but if my memory serves me in any way I believe I brought up that idea here on LM on the subject of a weapon replacement.    :p
Heh, as you mention it for the source, it would make a definite increase for the marine arsenal. With that lil devil source engine i could see the flamethrower bending around corners if used in a small hallway. Though if it were to happen we'd have to be realistic, in the sense that it would have to have the width of an hmg for ex, with a range of say 15 feet, after which it would just dissipate. Most likely it would be best suited to replace the shotgun. LOL, i just had a picture in my head of a skulk charging a marine after the flamethrower was used and the skulk just a big fireball screaming towards ya, hahaha.

In the Source version i'd love to have lerks have absolute free range flying abilities. That being said, i'd also say, if the lerks going full speed and hits a wall or a box, it should do damage to itself. Attacking a marine would go with that as well, which would cause damage to both lork and rine. Also, i think lerk lift should be added in. To do that, i'll just throw in my idea to do it. A skulk would weigh the lightest besides the lerk, so it would be easiest to carry them, but instead of just pressing the "use" key and flying away, the lerk should have to hit jump on a one second basis to carry him, and thats all the lerk can do while holding the skulk, they could go high up because of the weight. Gorges would take every half a second, where  as a fade or and onos would have to be at LEAST , ah crap i cant think of how many seconds it is but hitting "jump" 4 times every second....oh, ahh, every quarter of a second...? They wouldnt be able to be flown higher than a rines head for instance, because of their weight.  Anyways thats all i can think of right now seeing as my eyes are still opening up from waking up, to be blunt.....

I WANT KAMAKAZIE LERKS

May 06, 2005, 11:56:03 AM
Reply #12

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.gamerankings.com
dune buggies
we definatly need dune buggies for marines so they can do drive-by's on the hive and try to run over aliens (or other rines acidentily of corse).
then aliens could jack the buggies but cant really drive them to well due to the lack of an opposable thumb so they just kinda crash back and forth into things till
[snapback]47951[/snapback]
^ worst idea ever.

"Why aren't you wearing your eyebrows??"
Everyday you're here is torture to my heart; reminding me of how you'll never be mine..
..I'm going to miss this feeling.

May 06, 2005, 01:29:19 PM
Reply #13

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
dune buggies
[snapback]47951[/snapback]
^ worst idea ever.
[snapback]47958[/snapback]
He wasn't serious.

I think the marines and aliens should enjoy a good game of rock, paper, scissors to decide the fate of everyone. Oh, and they should use flamethrowers too.

Seriously, I just want it to be ported with new graphics at first so everyone can play it. Then they should add new weapons, alien upgrades/marine upgrades, and new alien lifeforms. It makes sense to me.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

May 06, 2005, 01:35:22 PM
Reply #14

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
dune buggies

lol *imagines gorge trying to use steering wheel with his little paws and picking up all his comrades that have to get out of the battle area and heal.

May 06, 2005, 04:16:54 PM
Reply #15

pardzh

• Skulk

• View Profile
Hitboxes, ragdolls, and teh s0urc3 grafix.

May 06, 2005, 07:05:50 PM
Reply #16

Condizzle

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
"Jiggling Eggleston," replied the clams.

May 07, 2005, 06:42:41 PM
Reply #17

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
I would like to see onos be able to devour buildings :D

May 07, 2005, 08:36:39 PM
Reply #18

EmperorPenguin

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
This is way old, but I guess I have to bring it back up:  The mobile hive slug.

He doesn't exactly move on his own, but other aliens can push him.  He'd be great on those vast outdoor maps everyone blathered on about, because he could roll down hills.  Want to escape a hive rush?  Roll the hive slug into a toxic pit or deep pool of water!  Take that marines!

Also, hive slug>dune buggy, it just gets rolled over (like everything else).

If this doesn't get put in NS:Source, I will refuse to play.   :wacko:

"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby?  Maybe we'll never know."

May 07, 2005, 08:50:21 PM
Reply #19

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
This is way old, but I guess I have to bring it back up:  The mobile hive slug.

He doesn't exactly move on his own, but other aliens can push him.  He'd be great on those vast outdoor maps everyone blathered on about, because he could roll down hills.  Want to escape a hive rush?  Roll the hive slug into a toxic pit or deep pool of water!  Take that marines!

Also, hive slug>dune buggy, it just gets rolled over (like everything else).

If this doesn't get put in NS:Source, I will refuse to play.   :wacko:
[snapback]48083[/snapback]
This is a terrible horrible joke post, but acctually I think a mod based on that concept could be pretty damn fun.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL