Author Topic: Tip for shooting for marines?  (Read 8755 times)

April 30, 2005, 11:57:42 PM
Read 8755 times

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
Do any of you have any tips on "Tracking" or shooting aliens?  One thing i've been trying is to make controlled bursts of fire instead of aiming at them and holding down the trigger.... it seems to be a lot more accurate and you can aim better.

Does it help to lead the target or anything?

May 01, 2005, 12:05:04 AM
Reply #1

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Set your rates right.
cl_cmdrate - as high as you can without getting choke (check on net_graph 3) - 100 is enough.
Umm... make sure your sensitivity is right for you; not too low - you need to be able to freely move around without taking your mouse off the mousepad. Practice simply snapping on to targets - walk around, notice an object somewhere, and try to aim directly at it simply with one mouse motion.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

May 01, 2005, 12:14:58 AM
Reply #2

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I see people doing this alot, and on bad days I am the same way, you need to keep the frigging aliens in your crosshair constantly.  This game isn't like CS where you can snipe your HS the moment you have a lock, you need to start aiming and keep aiming the whole time you are firing.

I find bursts are generally all but useless except to scare something poking out from behind a wall, until your target tracking is near perfect that will pretty much remain.

You need to conciously and intentionally aim at your target and not let go until it is dead.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

May 01, 2005, 12:53:17 AM
Reply #3

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
what's the rate where some people keep it at 9999 if they have a cable modem (like me)

what are all the net settings i should use on a 312 upload, 2m download cable connection

2ghz,gig ram, 9800pro... etc

so far i have

cl_updaterate 30
cl_cmdrate 100

May 01, 2005, 06:52:19 AM
Reply #4

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I notice a lot of people (myself included) will hold down fire before they're even aimed at the enemy. Then they'll continue to hold it down until they run out of ammo, while trying to aim successfully the entire time with often limited success.

Practice simply snapping on to targets - walk around, notice an object somewhere, and try to aim directly at it simply with one mouse motion.
[snapback]47476[/snapback]
Don't do this if people are spectating you. :p
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

May 01, 2005, 07:45:25 AM
Reply #5

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Remember, though, that bullets actually lag, though it's hitscan (it is, right?). I aim and follow them with my crosshair, but I let go a split second before I would normally kill them. Usually, the bullet impact seems to lag for half a second or more.

Also, like Goldfish mentioned, people tend to hold down fire even while they don't have a sure shot. A rule you should abide by is that if you can't see the alien in a fight or if you don't have an idea of where it is, don't fire.

May 01, 2005, 08:40:50 AM
Reply #6

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Oh and one more thing about rates... I knew I forgot something when I was writing the first post at 2 o'clock at night.
ex_interp should be set to (1 divided by your cl_cmdrate). If your cmdrate is 100, like it should be with optimum connections, your interp rate will be 0.01.
ex_extrapmax should be set to 5-6 or something like that.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

May 01, 2005, 03:14:34 PM
Reply #7

Tooky

• Gorge

• View Profile
From Mr.Ben

High sensitivities are just in general a bad thing as they make it harder to track. Even slight movements can lead to your curser being no where near the alien and makes it harder to control. Back when i first started on LM i played with a sensitivity of about 16 but now i'm on 2.8. Skulks, particularly at distance do not appear to move as much on your screen and a lower sensitivity with more controlled actions you'll find tracking far easier.

After having this golden tip relayed to me by MrBill who got it from MrBen, I instantly attempted it and it actually did work well. I started between 9-12 and made my way down to 2.6
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 03:14:56 PM by Tooky »

May 01, 2005, 05:04:58 PM
Reply #8

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Stop posting sensitivity numbers. They mean nothing. It's different for each mouse, each windows setting, your mousepad, etc.

What do you do then? You post the distance required per each 360° turn. Mine's 1 inch, or 2.5 centimeters :)

May 01, 2005, 05:20:46 PM
Reply #9

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Stop posting sensitivity numbers. They mean nothing. It's different for each mouse, each windows setting, your mousepad, etc.

What do you do then? You post the distance required per each 360° turn. Mine's 1 inch, or 2.5 centimeters :)
[snapback]47522[/snapback]
roughly 4cm for me...  1/4 you still use mouse excel?  cause that screws this whole system up even more (because faster mouse movement means more distance)

May 01, 2005, 05:51:03 PM
Reply #10

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Yes, mouse acceleration is on for me. I've been playing with it for the past 5 years, I know every intricacy and nuance of its behaviour. I can easily snap to a target here or there; I'm quite used to it.
Although, if you have been playing without it, then don't start using it - I hear it's better  without it.

May 01, 2005, 06:59:21 PM
Reply #11

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Do any of you have any tips on "Tracking" or shooting aliens?  One thing i've been trying is to make controlled bursts of fire instead of aiming at them and holding down the trigger.... it seems to be a lot more accurate and you can aim better.

Does it help to lead the target or anything?
[snapback]47475[/snapback]
Well, I suppose it helps at first. Once you get better you don't want to use bursts. You want to kill them as fast as you can since there will probably be more coming. Holding down attack doesn't make it less accurate. Just aim right at them. Also learn how skulks move more since people tend to do similar things.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

May 01, 2005, 08:17:14 PM
Reply #12

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Also learn how skulks move more since people tend to do similar things.
[snapback]47538[/snapback]

Meaning you should practice quite a lot, and you'll eventually be able to tell where the skulk/whatever will be in the next half second or so; knowing their maximum air control, or exactly how they move around (parabolic jumps, etc) will help you a lot.

May 01, 2005, 09:12:43 PM
Reply #13

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
just dont miss... wait for a clean shot, especially with the pistol. You have any idea how leet itll feel when your team is blasting away at a single skulk and you put a single wellaimed bullet into him and it dies

dude thats so leet.

May 01, 2005, 10:45:23 PM
Reply #14

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
lol, i was waiting for somebody to say "using aimbots helps"

May 02, 2005, 06:37:22 AM
Reply #15

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
fps_max 100
Custom crosshairs
A tweaked sensitivity
Practise

Aiming though is only 1/2 the marine game, most people can hit skulks. What you have to do is control the scenarios within which you meet them and learn what to do.

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

May 02, 2005, 07:50:32 AM
Reply #16

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Ah yes, crosshairs.
1) LMG - I forgot which one I use, it might be standard
2) SG - custom, showing where each pellet will go from the inside ring of 5 (yes, they do go the same direction, each and every time - check this by shooting a hive)
3) Pistol - custom, a plain white dot, outlined black for contrast. Very helpful in pistolling, considering it has perfect accuracy.
4) Everything else default, although I might change this in the future

May 02, 2005, 11:21:44 AM
Reply #17

Bryan

• Gorge

• View Profile
my trick is kinda diffrent. I have a HUGE mouse pad. like 4 in one sized. I dont use mouse acceration, I stoped  when i bought my mx1000 it is kind of hard to get used to with that mouse.

Bryan

BIG mouse pads FTW
1987 Keller, Tx spelling bee champ.

May 02, 2005, 08:57:49 PM
Reply #18

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Those xhairs Ben posted are awesome, and they're absolutely amazing when you use a shotty. Seriously.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

May 02, 2005, 09:08:06 PM
Reply #19

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Those xhairs Ben posted are awesome, and they're absolutely amazing when you use a shotty. Seriously.
[snapback]47657[/snapback]
My only complaint is that the bitegun crosshair is exactly the same as the parasite crosshair, which gets a little annoying.