Author Topic: the problem  (Read 28776 times)

May 17, 2005, 09:47:01 AM
Reply #60

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Someone needs to code a new admin cvar: admin_hiveff 0|1

Turns off|on FF on hive. Aliens can't movement over to hive asap anymore and will have to lock them down. If aliens cant movement over anymore then they will need to drop OCs and WoLs this will deter most ninjas, hence lowering the always ninja aspect of the game. THE main thing is and will always be about skill balance. As right now the aliens need less skill then marines. As it has be said befor marines NEED a good comm (thats what this game was made around so thats a nobrainer) but also the marines HAVE TO HAVE A TEAM THAT DAMN FOLLOW ORDERS AND DAMN WELL SHOOT SOMETHING! aliens just need to camp somewhere and fall on a marine. But yes aliens also need the skill to push marines back its just this issue is that the skill balance leans more towards the aliens.
[snapback]48813[/snapback]
That's acctually a pretty good idea... Not because it would make nubbing LM easier, but because several non FF servers wanted to have hive FF added to closer imitate compeditive gameplay...

Of course we could use it to ruin LM as well...  <_<
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

May 17, 2005, 10:35:35 AM
Reply #61

^Zunni^

• Lerker

• View Profile
Actually more likely MC's will be able to eventually just transport people to building hives with or without FF.....

So the exact opposite of what's being suggested..

^Zunni^ (Lead, Intelligent Design Team)

May 17, 2005, 11:29:24 AM
Reply #62

Nooblet

• Legacy Admin
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://www.gorgerush.net
Thats so not what needs to be done. All aliens need to to is go back to the OCing and WoL of every damn corner days and keep ninjas out. Todays games of NS are almost all about whoring for something need more focus on building for aliens. Movt to unbuilt hive is NOT what needs to be done, and yes I understand that marines get PGs but they are smarter and cooler and leet more so then the aliens. So there!
Pissing DHP off one sig at a time.
Breaking the respect rule are we? *rolls up sleeves* - DHP
DHP, I love you.

May 18, 2005, 10:57:37 AM
Reply #63

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Ya, lots of people have suggested making it so aliens can't attack their own hive and then MC there. Doing the opposite sounds pretty horrible to me. Then new hives are in no way vulnerable whatsoever at all in ANY way. :p
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 10:57:57 AM by Goldy »
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

May 19, 2005, 03:49:37 AM
Reply #64

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Ya, lots of people have suggested making it so aliens can't attack their own hive and then MC there. Doing the opposite sounds pretty horrible to me. Then new hives are in no way vulnerable whatsoever at all in ANY way. :p
[snapback]48896[/snapback]
Those people are all LMers.  Normal people like hive warping as a feature.

May 19, 2005, 06:06:40 AM
Reply #65

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Hive warping is countered by competance and forsight. You know that when the hive is attacked aliens WILL mc in. So you move into the hive, you secure it, if theres an alien on top its a bit more problematic but still not a big issue. If there's no alien in the hive you put a PG up in the hive, if there is just use one that is further back. Place mines, 2 or 3 packs on the floor, best used by people who have an idea of where the spawn spots are. You attack the hive with ONE bullet, aliens MC in, you kill the aliens, once their spawn queue is clogged up you kill the hive.

Making it so that the hive has to be under attack adds an element of teamwork and skill for both sides. Aliens need to maintain a presence in the hive at all times, marines need to control any presence. Making it so you can MC whenever will actually make things retardedly easy and remove an element of control that marines have when fighting MC first aliens. It's not like marines don't have it hard enough as it is, why would you buff the aliens even more? If it's for the people who play on non-FF servers then fine, but the change should be removed when ff is on, or I guarentee the clan scene will have a fit, it'd really **** everything.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 06:20:32 AM by Mr.Ben »

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

May 19, 2005, 07:45:08 AM
Reply #66

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Hive warping is countered by competance and forsight. You know that when the hive is attacked aliens WILL mc in. So you move into the hive, you secure it, if theres an alien on top its a bit more problematic but still not a big issue. If there's no alien in the hive you put a PG up in the hive, if there is just use one that is further back. Place mines, 2 or 3 packs on the floor, best used by people who have an idea of where the spawn spots are. You attack the hive with ONE bullet, aliens MC in, you kill the aliens, once their spawn queue is clogged up you kill the hive.

Can't place mines in building\active hive in LM unfortunately.

May 19, 2005, 09:38:52 AM
Reply #67

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile

#lessthanthree on qnet

May 19, 2005, 11:01:20 AM
Reply #68

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site

Can't place mines in building\active hive in LM unfortunately.
[snapback]48936[/snapback]
Part of the reason I think its really stupid that building hives have been included in that.  You don't like MC rushes and then you remove one of the only effective counters.

May 19, 2005, 02:44:04 PM
Reply #69

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Part of the reason I think its really stupid that building hives have been included in that. You don't like MC rushes and then you remove one of the only effective counters.

I strongly agree with this.  I was thinking about different ways to counter a MC rush when your trying to shoot down a hive and all i could think of was mines.  Outside of sieging but its damn near impossible to hold sieges and men when everybody on the alien team is in that (building) hive in a few seconds.  If we could place mines at least it would probably kill the upgraded skulks which IMO are the biggest problem in MC rushes.

Although i do see the reason in active hives because its sorta like spawn camping i guess.

May 19, 2005, 03:39:55 PM
Reply #70

Plaguebearer

• Gorge

• View Profile
The spawncamping issue is why, I believe, 'building' hives got included in the no mines rule... if the hive is about to go up, then the rines come and plop down a mine on every spawn point, then the hive goes up...

...is it spawncamping?

Having to adjudicate issues like this are how rules like that come about.
God, I'm old.

May 21, 2005, 04:59:23 AM
Reply #71

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Again, much like the realworld legal profession, people always look for loopholes in rules, and a mines are ok in a building hive soon becomes "if you think a hive is about to drop, spam mines like mad, that way you're not breaking the rule for mines in active hive".

Its the difference between people who follow the spirit of the rules, and the letter of the rules. The spirit of the rules is NO SPAWNCAMPING.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

May 22, 2005, 11:16:40 PM
Reply #72

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Again, much like the realworld legal profession, people always look for loopholes in rules, and a mines are ok in a building hive soon becomes "if you think a hive is about to drop, spam mines like mad, that way you're not breaking the rule for mines in active hive".

Its the difference between people who follow the spirit of the rules, and the letter of the rules. The spirit of the rules is NO SPAWNCAMPING.
[snapback]49088[/snapback]
Have it fall under llamaish behaviour to try to curve around the letter of the law like that.  In my opinion a few questionably placed temp bans is better then compleatly removing the only counter to a valid stratigey in the game.

May 23, 2005, 12:24:13 PM
Reply #73

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
They said the same thing about cc blocking.

May 24, 2005, 04:16:41 AM
Reply #74

Nooblet

• Legacy Admin
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://www.gorgerush.net
Another thing. SoF needs to be put back to damaged marines only for a lifeform upgrade. I understand the ideal that marines get MT aliens get SoF, BUT unlike MT SoF always works. MT stops working the the lifeform stops to counter this SoF needs to be droped back to where it was only a damaged marine showed. Now Sens chambers still see all in there AoE but the upgrade SoF is damaged only. This will also make hiding FUN AGAIN!
Pissing DHP off one sig at a time.
Breaking the respect rule are we? *rolls up sleeves* - DHP
DHP, I love you.

May 24, 2005, 05:21:53 AM
Reply #75

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
They said the same thing about cc blocking.
[snapback]49254[/snapback]
Zunni never said such a thing!

[edit] @nooblet: Sof stops working if the rine is in the same room as you (and not behind anything)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 05:22:41 AM by SwiftSpear »

May 24, 2005, 11:00:37 AM
Reply #76

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I dont think zunni said memorising the spawn points and spamming mines on them is legit either.

May 24, 2005, 12:28:57 PM
Reply #77

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Ok, people keep talking about knowing where the spawn points are. Are some players actually obsessed enough to do that? Even if you know where they are, I would hope they are used randomly rather than in a particular order.
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

May 24, 2005, 01:52:53 PM
Reply #78

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
No one knows exact spawn points, but mines on the floor of a hive will generally hit a skulk.

#lessthanthree on qnet

May 24, 2005, 05:16:07 PM
Reply #79

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Exact, maybe not, but pretty darned close is generally the order of the day.

I only speak from experience, where you blow up as you spawn. Thats a barrel of fun, right there.