Author Topic: Serious NS headache  (Read 6940 times)

April 22, 2005, 09:05:09 PM
Read 6940 times

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
After a relatively crappy and boring game (for Marines; I was alien), we had two hives up with little resistance, as well as most of the RTs. I am the only one with res to go onos, so I do so. I had just finished gestating, so I decided to upgrade celerity. Unfortunately, I hit the "adrenaline" key, so I did that instead. I figured, "Oh well, more energy to stomp and eat."

So I'm walking out of the Data Core hive when the DC first goes up. I accidentally rolled my mwheel (bound to jump), so I jumped, right as I hit my "regen" key. Unfortunately, I was partially facing the wall, so I went up and landed my egg on top of a slope.

I thought that maybe the NS Fates would let me get away with this. Oh no. As soon as I saw my screen start wobbling up and down, I knew I was boned. "Skull-and-crossbones Manta*GS*"

:angry:

Note to people in that game on Hera: sorry about that abrupt exit. I just got sick of my stupid mistakes. I doubt the Aliens needed any more people as it was. Marines were pretty much cooked.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 09:07:52 PM by Manta »

April 22, 2005, 09:35:06 PM
Reply #1

NewBorn

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
your not the only one who has done soemthing similiar....at least it was your own doing and not a RS kick. I usually make the mistake of upgrading as skulk in "hard to reach places" like a small cliff on a wall cause i want silence and rines are below. This has more then proven the fact that egging should be treated carefully. I can't figure out why people bind keys for things like chambers and upgrades. They ALWAYS forget what exact bind it was or accidently press the wrong one and end up dropping wrong chamber(sensery 1st :angry: )or even changing into wrong life form. So all in all, STOP USING BINDS FOR THINGS THAT TAKE LESS THAN 2 SECONDS TO EXECUTE! <_< . btw ...your forgiven :D
losing your mind is only half the fun,
when you've lost it all, is when the fun begins

April 22, 2005, 09:44:59 PM
Reply #2

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Here's a hint to see if the slope you are on is gestatable... only as a skulk, though.
Press crouch. If you slide off, don't gestate on it! If you don't. it's safe.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

April 22, 2005, 09:58:57 PM
Reply #3

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
The only chambers I can think of bindable as a gorge should be hive (mc hive rush) or rts (drop an rt before you get killed, but have skulk backup coming). Anything else is just asking for headaches.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

April 22, 2005, 10:29:29 PM
Reply #4

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Yeah I get caught by slopes sometimes. I don't have an evolve bind (just chambers, and I always drop my first chamber the long way just to avoid this sort of thing) but I do make my lifeform choice as I jump, so I sometimes land on a bad slope.

Still, always fun.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

April 22, 2005, 11:31:32 PM
Reply #5

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I loved the Sub hive on veil when you could fall through the floor where those two metal plate things were.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

April 23, 2005, 12:55:46 AM
Reply #6

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
I have very easy to remember gorge binds! :E Home = hive. end = RT. chambers are on the arrow keys, offense on uparrow as it is the odd one out, then the 3 upgrade chambers in left-to-right in the standard order that lasted soooo long, D>M>S.

Lifeforms are easy too! 1-5 on numpad.

Only once have I ever hit the wrong key.

April 23, 2005, 02:18:41 AM
Reply #7

TheAdj

• Skulk

• View Profile
Search for stickers on the ns forums, someone shrunk the pictures of the chambesr and upgrades so they fit on a keyboard key.  I use them avidly at home.

April 23, 2005, 04:24:30 AM
Reply #8

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Search for stickers on the ns forums, someone shrunk the pictures of the chambesr and upgrades so they fit on a keyboard key.  I use them avidly at home.
[snapback]46771[/snapback]
Bwhahaha, that is so awesome.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

April 23, 2005, 06:36:08 AM
Reply #9

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Actually, I rarely screw up by pressing the wrong bind. Sometimes, I just slip. Also, it was the jumping that really killed me.

April 23, 2005, 09:14:02 AM
Reply #10

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I have the upgrades bound to the number pad. And I have never made a mistake with it, because I bound them in a way that makes sense to me. For the sake of safety, I don't have any structure binds, although I should make an OC bind.

April 23, 2005, 10:13:56 AM
Reply #11

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Same here, lf, except that I bind everything. It's actually more useful than you think for RTs and hives, if you're in a tight spot. I just hammer my hive key as I run towards the spot.

April 23, 2005, 11:04:57 AM
Reply #12

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
I have everything bound, Except fade, focus, cara. Those I don't use so much.

It's really not hard to remember, if you get a system.
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

April 23, 2005, 11:17:18 AM
Reply #13

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I've tried using keybinds on the numpad... but I kept forgetting which one is which. I still make mistakes when choosign over the menu, since I tend to do it so quickly... but I think it's fun once in a while to go cloaking lerk or silence gorge :)
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

April 24, 2005, 08:02:07 AM
Reply #14

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Oh true, should have a hive bind as well. I mean, on the off chance that you drop a hive on accident, it's hardly a tragedy is it?

You don't use cara, rad4christ? Curious. What's your favourite DC upgrade for Skulk then?

April 24, 2005, 07:31:25 PM
Reply #15

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Redemption. With my lovely striek-at-anytime lag, I'm either going to kill that rine, or no amount of extra armor will help. But it's funny when a skulk redeems b/c 1, it denies the RFK, and 2, generally confuses the marine for a second as my backup finishes up.
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

April 24, 2005, 08:04:01 PM
Reply #16

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
The only time I use redemption as a skulk is for my Skulk Ninja Smoke Bomb Escape ™. If I am low on health in a fight, I find an escape, crawl into a hole, and hit "redemption". Instant teleport to the hive!

April 25, 2005, 06:20:36 PM
Reply #17

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Back in 2.0, redemption skulks were so freaking irritating it was not funny. You think redemption onos are annoying, you know nothing.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

April 26, 2005, 07:21:42 AM
Reply #18

CorvusX

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Search for stickers on the ns forums, someone shrunk the pictures of the chambesr and upgrades so they fit on a keyboard key.  I use them avidly at home.
[snapback]46771[/snapback]
Winnar is you :lol:

April 28, 2005, 10:09:57 AM
Reply #19

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
I use . for offense and / for defense :-P

only hit the wrong key a few, hundred times