Author Topic: 3.0 opinions  (Read 12930 times)

March 07, 2005, 03:11:26 PM
Reply #40

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
it's like a nuclear bomb.

Actually I've heard that those are quite silent, so it's probably something more like a car crash.
[snapback]42577[/snapback]

If a tree falls in a forest, and squashes all witnesses, does it make a sound? :p
[snapback]42677[/snapback]

Yes, while squashing them :)
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

March 07, 2005, 07:06:17 PM
Reply #41

Loke The Sleek Peruvian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
it's like a nuclear bomb.

Actually I've heard that those are quite silent, so it's probably something more like a car crash.
[snapback]42577[/snapback]

If a tree falls in a forest, and squashes all witnesses, does it make a sound? :p
[snapback]42677[/snapback]

Yes, while squashing them :)
[snapback]42697[/snapback]
Wrong, the witnesses make the sound :p
I am Sleek.

Are you?

Only in peru would you consider being closer to satan 'winning'... INCA HAX FOR THE WIN!

March 07, 2005, 08:16:19 PM
Reply #42

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well I finally got to play 3.0 today with a somewhat decent ping (it lagged really bad the first day it came out for some reason). All I can say is that it is fun being aliens again, ns_altair is really purple, free alien upgrades are awesome, and sensory owns.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

March 07, 2005, 10:09:25 PM
Reply #43

Squats

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://rinkerconsulting.com
I really love being able to upgrade my skulk and not feel like I'm wasting res. That fact alone will be huge for my play style as alien (rush, save res, drop hive or some other stuff, re-skulk, rush some more, repeat ad infinitum). and the sof from the senses is awesome! :) Now I can almost play my focus/celerity/cara skulk from co in ns.

Hmmm I played 4 games as marines so far, and I haven't noticed anything so different except sounds. guess I'll have to look at the changelog...

Thanks ABS  :D  for making me realize that that parasite hit I kept hearing when there were no skulks around was part of the damn reload.   :angry:

Squats
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

March 08, 2005, 04:51:00 AM
Reply #44

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I really love being able to upgrade my skulk and not feel like I'm wasting res. That fact alone will be huge for my play style as alien (rush, save res, drop hive or some other stuff, re-skulk, rush some more, repeat ad infinitum). and the sof from the senses is awesome! :) Now I can almost play my focus/celerity/cara skulk from co in ns.

Hmmm I played 4 games as marines so far, and I haven't noticed anything so different except sounds. guess I'll have to look at the changelog...

Thanks ABS  :D  for making me realize that that parasite hit I kept hearing when there were no skulks around was part of the damn reload.   :angry:

Squats
[snapback]42724[/snapback]
Sieges don't do damage to alien lifeforms anymore... not that you would knowtice being that the sieges suck so terribly that no comm would consider dropping them now...

Also, look for "-marines no longer win unstacked games" in the changelog... it's there somewhere...
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

March 08, 2005, 07:03:56 AM
Reply #45

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Actually the sieges are good for a softener. You just need to send men in to mop up. I like this more than the regular format of "drop sieges, sight for sieges, victory JPs in MS".
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

March 08, 2005, 07:12:49 AM
Reply #46

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
I have seen sieges work, just need like 6, instead of 3 last time.  Not very cost effective unless it is truly impossible to get in hive.  Depending on hive location, sg/hmg rush seems to work the best.  Tfs elec with many turrets much better strat.  Although, I have commed 3 games and every time I have no resnode until 5 minute mark.....or my whole team leapt into pit. >_<

March 08, 2005, 10:13:07 AM
Reply #47

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The sieges didn't get weaker, there's just a gorge healing the hive. Send some guys in to kill the gorge and the hive goes down.

March 08, 2005, 11:53:31 AM
Reply #48

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Gorges can heal but you can ping more.

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

March 08, 2005, 01:11:09 PM
Reply #49

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
I take back anything tha I have said previosly.  

New thought:

I hate it.  For aliens to win all they must do is have 2 rts and just not get a two hive lockdown.  Nothing else.  In the process get chambers.  That's it.  Not that hard.  For rines, they must do everything correctly.  I mean everything.  Keep alien res down, keep theirs up, keep base alive, work together (hard concept even on LM), tech and TWO hive lockdown must be had or you lose.  Sure it happens once in a blue moon...but it's not fun to play.  At least in B5 you had some chance to come back.   In this version, it seems that the game gets decided at a point, which is evident clearly while in game and it's a long slow death from there.   It's not fun dominating so much and neither is it fun to be dominated all the time.  

That said, I do like the changes which have been made, but not the way the whole balance has gotten skewed.  Perhaps making fades/onos more expensive would be a solution.  Maybe even just un-nerfing seiges.  Just my two cents.

March 08, 2005, 01:32:00 PM
Reply #50

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
The game gets decided and usually its a very rapid rush to the finish.

I don't think its necessarily harder on comms, just on passive tech-rush comms. If you've always pursued an aggressive play style then you don't need to changes as much.

Sadly the previous betas heavily favoured a two hive lock, or siege rush, followed by lurking in base until there was res for heavies. Thats not going to work as easily now. Marines can still screw up on occassion, its just that your screw up needs to be cheaper. Screwing up by fluffing a pg siege rush is a big mistake now. Screwing up cheaply is pretty ok.

The strats I've seen work have been dirt cheap. PG, shotties, medspam. No HA needed. Sneak 2 rines to 2 hives, drop 2 pgs, whichever gets built gets rushed. GG.

March 08, 2005, 01:46:33 PM
Reply #51

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I have yet to play 3.0, but the flashlight change is awesome. I used to get advanced hive sight simply for the fact that I could see marines in my dark monitor

MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

March 08, 2005, 02:24:26 PM
Reply #52

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
/me starts the "get TAK a new display"-fund

I'm still holding off my final verdict. The current pattern, as far as I can discern it, is "the better team wins." That's the way it should be. Good aliens can still be raped by better marines, and vice versa. There may be a slight imbalance favouring the aliens, but it's too early to tell at any rate, and it's nowhere near as big as some people claim.

But yes, marines need to stay on the offense. No picking lint out of your bellybutton in MS any longer. MOVE TO YOUR WAYPOINT SOLDIER!

March 09, 2005, 10:52:24 AM
Reply #53

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
I don't think its necessarily harder on comms, just on passive tech-rush comms. If you've always pursued an aggressive play style then you don't need to changes as much.
[snapback]42788[/snapback]

I find it HELLA harder, and I'm not a passive tech comm. And when I say hella, i mean HELLA harder.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

March 09, 2005, 10:57:05 AM
Reply #54

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Agreed.  And if you have only half the team listening to you and going to their exact waypoints, you're basically screwed.  This needs a level of marine teamwork never before seen to win against a good alien team.
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

March 09, 2005, 12:46:06 PM
Reply #55

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Well thats the rub, isnt it. Marines are meant to be a coordinated team, its about time they played like it.

March 09, 2005, 05:08:05 PM
Reply #56

confused!

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.confusionville.net
I have a question: What happened to marines being able to kill skulks?

I know its possible. It is exceedingly frustrating to lose a hive with 3 marines, a tf, and 2 turrets to a single skulk.

I recognize that new cloaking makes aliens harder to see. I recognize that focus makes things harder. at teh same time I'm sick of seeing groups of mairnes die to single skulks.   Even single marines to one skulk is bad enough.

Guys, if you cant hit the skulks check your configs. By default, your rates have been reset. Fix them.  For my freaking sanity. Please.

That's my biggest problem.

Secondly, when they get sensory, don't wander off. Pver.  Period.
SOF is everywhere. The aliens arent as dumb as rocks you wandering the level are the freaking neon "eat at joe's"  sign.  Also, your team is now down one guy ina critical area.  

Finally, use your motion tracking, your calls and your brain . The comm is now in anutter panic the entire game. He has to be in 35 places at once. Try to give him as much help as you can.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 05:18:01 PM by confused! »
HUEG SIGNATURE IS NUKED

March 09, 2005, 05:58:57 PM
Reply #57

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
The aliens arent as dumb as rocks you wandering the level are the freaking neon "eat at joe's"  sign.  Also, your team is now down one guy ina critical area. 

Finally, use your motion tracking, your calls and your brain . The comm is now in anutter panic the entire game. He has to be in 35 places at once. Try to give him as much help as you can.
[snapback]42904[/snapback]

HAHHA!! FUNNY! YET truer words were never spoken!!  Remeber in 1.0, when marines were scared to get out of base by themselves? Well, it' that way again.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

March 09, 2005, 06:57:38 PM
Reply #58

Rath

• Legacy Admin
  • Skulk

• View Profile
[snapback]42904[/snapback]

Yea I check the map every ten seconds when I'm a rine unless I suspect there are aliens around.  It worked really well before when I could always hear then coming, but now silence and cloaking skulks come get me by surprise while I'm looking at the map.  But still quite often I see something on my map and report it right away.
I throw myself upon these OC's in the name of King Bill!!

March 09, 2005, 07:24:38 PM
Reply #59

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I take back anything tha I have said previosly. 

New thought:

I hate it.  For aliens to win all they must do is have 2 rts and just not get a two hive lockdown.  Nothing else.  In the process get chambers.  That's it.  Not that hard.  For rines, they must do everything correctly.  I mean everything.  Keep alien res down, keep theirs up, keep base alive, work together (hard concept even on LM), tech and TWO hive lockdown must be had or you lose.  Sure it happens once in a blue moon...but it's not fun to play.  At least in B5 you had some chance to come back.   In this version, it seems that the game gets decided at a point, which is evident clearly while in game and it's a long slow death from there.   It's not fun dominating so much and neither is it fun to be dominated all the time. 
[snapback]42785[/snapback]

I actually agree now, after having played a bit more. Here's a summary of something I posted a while back on the NS forums:
Aliens might win if they don't use teamwork. Aliens probably will if they use teamwork.
Marines will not, under any circumstances, win if they don't use teamwork. Marines might win if they use teamwork.

Problem = lack for utter need to cooperate, i.e. full-out Marine-level teamwork. That means if you go alone, you probably will die, etc.

[edit to clarify]
No, I'm not saying Aliens don't need teamwork right now. Just not enough.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 07:26:02 PM by 2_of_8 »
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld