Author Topic: NaturalSelection.com  (Read 2232 times)

January 27, 2005, 11:02:47 PM
Read 2232 times

scooter-blue

[ January 24th, 2005 ] :: Schedule site maintenance (Flayra)

We're still having some problems with the web server, and need to schedule a few hours of down-time in order to perform diagnostics on it.

So the site should be down tomorrow the 25th, from around 8pm to midnight PST. The site, forums and in-game icons will not be working during that time.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

[ January 26th, 2005 ] :: More server issues? (Flayra)

Last night's scheduled maintenance actually found hardware errors on the server (bad RAM). We're hoping this was the cause of our database/site crashing issues, but we're not holding our breath.

There seem to be some other problems caused after the hardware change, so the site may be up and down intermittently for a bit while we figure out what's going on.

So when do we get to work on the fun game stuff again?

Update: All mail-related functions on the site are currently not working (password reset, registration, etc). Please don't register any new accounts or use any other features that send e-mail.

Update: The site is having major problems right now (like you didn't notice). We're actively working on this and will keep you posted. In the meantime, the site will definitely be up and down. Sorry for the inconvenience.

It's amazing the problems that can crop up with something as relatively simple as a website.  Then again I guess maximizing stability and performance on a forum with 1.3 million posts is something I'd just as soon not have to deal with.  It sounds like at least some of the problems were hardware related, which I can sympathize with.  

At first glance I didn't notice the most significant part, which is that user registration is currently disabled on the forum, and they're asking people not to try to register new accounts.  That's going to have a pretty big impact on the community if it's not fixed soon.

It says they're having major problems with the website right now, but I haven't noticed anything on my very limited time there recently.  I got that SQL error a few days ago, but when I've used recently it it's been nice and fast.  Anybody know what kind of errors are occuring?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 11:05:30 PM by scooter-blue »

January 28, 2005, 12:51:22 AM
Reply #1

Iconoclast

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
I was having problems accessing the constellation forum and getting SQL errors while trying to update my profile.

January 28, 2005, 01:38:45 AM
Reply #2

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Please take a moment to give me the name of the moderator you asked for permission to reopen this thread. Either in here or in PM.