Author Topic: Mapping > me  (Read 4773 times)

January 19, 2005, 06:45:48 PM
Read 4773 times

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
So.  I jsut got the map creator thingy for half life, and managed to make a box.  

Yes,  so very shocking.   I made a box.

But i ahve some questions.  I've been playing around with things for a while now, and i still can't figure out how to make textures stick to things. (i followed the direcitons, but they(my boxes) are nonstick or something).  So. Here's my list of questions, and if i can make myself do the work, I MIGHT make a map for you all......

1).  Textures
a.  How to place them on objects
b.How to place them on ONE side only

2).  Entities
a. What are they
b. What do they do?

3).  Chopping
a.  Again, what is it?
b.  What does it do?

4).  Paths
a.  Again, what are they?
b.  What does it do?

Any help you could give me would be appreciated.   Also, any hlep you oculd give me pertaining to tricks of teh mappar's trade would be nice too.

FYI-   Heres my idea for a map-

Aliens have alnded on a colonized civilian planet, and taken up residence ina local high school.  Marines would start in one of the entrances, alien hives'd be in the Main staircase, Cafeteria, and Pool.  

More to come, after i actually make something resembling a map.
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear
One part comm, one part cheerleader, 3 parts cuddly bear

January 19, 2005, 09:53:53 PM
Reply #1

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
Textures: Make sure you don't have something already selected unless you want to texture the whole thing. (Probably not even then, that's how you end up accidentally texturing tiny edges and stuff that should be nulled anyway) Bring up the texture application tool. Hide mask because it's annoying. Click the side you want to texture. Ctrl+click to select more things. Find the texture you want and apply, then stretch twist and mangle until it looks good.

Entities: They are cool things that do cool things. Pretty much anything that's not world geometry is an entity. There's a ton of them and they all do different things. Spawn points, for example, are info_player_start entities. (but that's for the RR, in the map you use info_team_start ents) Entities make lights, sounds, particles, special effects -- basically they bring you map to life. They are awesome, and the entity limit is the limit you'll curse most in your map, because it crushes your dreams and spits on them. Oh and brushwork (world geometry) can be tied to entities too to make geometry that does stuff. Func_breakable for something that can be broken for example.

Chopping? Clipping maybe? If it's the clip tool, you use that to cut up world geometry. You do this in order to add doors, or so you can manipulate your boring walls into interesting architecture, or so you can texture only parts of an area, etc.

Paths... don't even worry about that for now, just focus on making those rooms that aren't big boxes.  :D

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

January 25, 2005, 03:54:18 PM
Reply #2

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Ok, got some more questions

I was compiling my map  (a cube with a player start and a light), and it gabve me the following errors-

vis.exe has encountered a problem blah blah standard windows message.

qrad.exe has encountered a problem blah blah standard windows message.

next,

Could not open bitmap file gfx/shell/splash.bmp

Host_init: Could not load gfx/pallete.lmp

Help, what do these mean?
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear
One part comm, one part cheerleader, 3 parts cuddly bear

January 25, 2005, 04:17:49 PM
Reply #3

UKchaos

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Post your entire compile log.

January 25, 2005, 04:25:09 PM
Reply #4

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
since your new, (and even if your not this applies to all) Im going to assume your NOT doing crazy error causing things yet and say it's a leak.

If it is a leak it will say near the bsp section, it means theres a hole in your map that leads to the outside of the map, meaning no where. (it can be one unit big, or half even to cause a problem, any size leak is a leak) Youll have to find it. You can go use the poin file, which will show you a bunch of lines going all over the place, those lines should never enter your map, if they do youve got a leak, find it tracing the lines and close it up.

in Map - Load pointfile

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

January 25, 2005, 04:33:21 PM
Reply #5

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Here-

** Executing...
** Command: Change Directory
** Parameters: D:\Sierra\halflife

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "D:\Mapping\Valve Hammer Editor\maps\rawr.map" "D:\Sierra\halflife\valve\maps\rawr.map"

** Executing...
** Command: D:\Mapping\VALVEH~1\tools\qcsg.exe
** Parameters: "D:\Sierra\halflife\valve\maps\rawr"

qcsg.exe v2.8 (Jan 31 2000)
---- qcsg ----
entering D:\Sierra\halflife\valve\maps\rawr.map
CreateBrush:         0...1...3...5...6...8... (0)
CSGBrush:            0...1...3...5...6...8... (0)
WARNING: couldn't open \program files\crap\steam\steamapps\kodiackak@comcast.net\half-life\ns\co_kestrel.wad
    0 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: D:\Mapping\VALVEH~1\tools\qbsp2.exe

qbsp2.exe v2.2 (Dec 28 1998)
---- qbsp2 ----
writing D:\Sierra\halflife\valve\maps\rawr.prt
    0 seconds elapsed

** Executing...
** Command: D:\Mapping\VALVEH~1\tools\vis.exe

** Executing...