Author Topic: Detailed Map Strategies - ns_nothing  (Read 2812 times)

January 03, 2005, 01:01:48 PM
Read 2812 times

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Last update: Sunday, January 9, 2005
Greetings to everyone.
Here is my guide for ns_nothing, for the Marine side. I have mainly shown structure placements. There are basically 3 categories for structure placement: relocate (whole base), lockdown (hive or important location), and siege (hive).
Turrets are coloured green and siege turrets are coloured blue.
Bases/Relocates

Viaduct Relocate
This is a very hard location to hold, as the high ceiling and high number of vents give Aliens roaming freedom, and non-jetpacking Marines have a very hard time tracking targets due to the Alien texturing all around. Not a recommended spot for a relocate; there are better hives to move to.

Ventilation Relocate
A somewhat rare relocation spot, yet it is quite useful.
First, you control at least 2, maybe 3, most likely 4 res nodes: Ventilation, Cargo (hive), Generator and Miasma Walkway. Also, there are only 2 exits out of this area, making it easy to guard.

Marine Start Base
Best layout is shown, in my opinion. Arms lab and Proto lab hidden far back in the base; hard to get to, hard to get out of. IP far from CC so that the Commander can hop out and kill any Skulks chomping on his IP. Notice the unobstructing placement of unusuable structures (TF, Obs), and easy access to useable structures (Phase Gate, Armoury). Marines shouldn't be jumping over hurdles just to get their share of ammo!

Marine Start Relocate
Quite a rare spot for a relocate; only meters from the main Marine Start base. I have only done this once, and I've seen other comms do it extremely rarely as well. Not much to comment on here.
One advantage: close to the Pit, so that comm and jump out and win morally in case the game is lost.

Cargo Bay Relocate
This is by far the most common hive lockdown+relocate on this map. One very important thing: make sure to place a high enough yet climbable structure near the vent (Armoury, TF, Arms Lab, Proto Lab. Preferably former or second), to allow Marines to get in the vent without the need to boost each other. A TF would be the best choice, since you can eletrify it.

South Viaduct (unnamed) Relocate
A very rare spot. Makes an interesting relocate, but there are better locations out there. The turret near the vent will make it possible to jump in the vent and guard it against incoming Aliens should your situation get dire.

Lockdowns

Viaduct Lockdown
Hard to hold. You are quite likely to lose this location if the Aliens will be in need of a hive location.

Power Silo Lockdown
Note the turret placement; hard to access for Aliens.

Generator Lockdown
Very important location to hold; quite possibly, the most important location on the map (aside from hives, of course). You have access to an abundance of res nodes: Generator, Miasma Walkway, Ventilation, Ominous Kismet, South Viaduct (unnamed). 5 in total. Then, you have Cargo Bay Hive a bit farther away, Marine Start (in case that's not your base), Viaduct, Red Room, etc. This is the spot you want to have. There will be a strong battle here. You might choose to place a few more turrets here, and some mines.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 04:32:07 PM by 2_of_8 »
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

January 03, 2005, 01:02:10 PM
Reply #1

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Sieges

Red Room (Viaduct) Siege
You need Jetpacks to get into this location. It is better than using East or West entrances to Viaduct to siege.

Power Silo Siege
Use the long corridor to your advantage. Keep out of the hive area until it is clear, though; it is quite dangerous to your Marines (high ceiling, lots of hiding areas for Skulks).

Power Silo Ninja Siege
Text on image.

Cargo Bay Siege
Quite simple, really.

Other

Quite important in my opinion. Weld this vent to keep skulks out! Limit your base to 2 exits.

Phase gate spam! Don't worry, I cheated. I didn't actually build all of them by hand :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 04:35:50 PM by 2_of_8 »
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

January 03, 2005, 01:31:03 PM
Reply #2

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
If you relocate to power silo, don't build base inside the room.  It is far too fade- and lerk-friendly, and if the aliens get two hives, the base is pretty much lost unless you have jetpacks.  Bile bomb is also the reason you shouldn't seriously lock down power silo from the inside if the aliens have a chance of getting two hives.

That viaduct relocation spot is unrealistic other than as a 'fun' relocation.

Placement of the tech structures behind the command console in marine start does have advantages, but it also precludes the possibility of getting out of the chair yourself to take out attackers.  Generally, you want to place any important structures far from the command console if you are sufficiently confident in your ability that you would jump out to save structures.

Welding the vent behind marine start isn't really that important.  It's much easier to just put a mine or two in the vent, and a skulk can almost as easily come into the base through pipe room.

If you relocate to cargo bay, you should place a climbable structure such as an armory or arms lab next to the vent entrance so that the vent is accessible to the marines.  Fail to do so and you'll be harassed through that vent constantly.

January 03, 2005, 01:53:44 PM
Reply #3

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Note: Blue text applies to the old guide which has been removed and replaced by the new one.[/size]
That viaduct relocation spot is unrealistic other than as a 'fun' relocation.
[snapback]37850[/snapback]
Yeah, it's not viable at all, but you can still do it for fun. But chances are, you already lost, if you're relocating to such a spot.

Placement of the tech structures behind the command console in marine start does have advantages, but it also precludes the possibility of getting out of the chair yourself to take out attackers.  Generally, you want to place any important structures far from the command console if you are sufficiently confident in your ability that you would jump out to save structures.
Chances are, by the time you have the Arms Lab with several upgrades and Proto Lab, you will have phase gates in MS and other locations which Marines frequent. Therefore, you can simply order a few marines to phase back to base and kill whoever is attacking.
Also, late in the game, you won't have skulks attacking your base; fades and onos are more probable, so getting out of the chair won't work well against them. Beaconing or phasing in is a better choice.

Welding the vent behind marine start isn't really that important.  It's much easier to just put a mine or two in the vent, and a skulk can almost as easily come into the base through pipe room.
Mine or two is 2.5 or 5 res, and you have to replace it each time someone comes. Welder costs 5 res, and it shuts that vent forever. Besides, welder can also be used to weld field marines.

If you relocate to cargo bay, you should place a climbable structure such as an armory or arms lab next to the vent entrance so that the vent is accessible to the marines.  Fail to do so and you'll be harassed through that vent constantly.
I agree. In my opinion, it would be best to place an electrified TF, since that will damage most careless skulks coming in through that vent (although it's possible to get through at a side or whatnot)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 04:50:15 PM by 2_of_8 »

January 03, 2005, 02:39:08 PM
Reply #4

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Chances are, by the time you have the Arms Lab with several upgrades and Proto Lab, you will have phase gates in MS and other locations which Marines frequent. Therefore, you can simply order a few marines to phase back to base and kill whoever is attacking.
Also, late in the game, you won't have skulks attacking your base; fades and onos are more probable, so getting out of the chair won't work well against them. Beaconing or phasing in is a better choice.
Losing the arms lab is a large blow even (and in terms of resources, especially) in the early game.  Late in the game, higher lifeforms in base obviously warrant the team's attention, but if it's a lone skulk, it might not be worth the time of another marine if none are readily available.  Also, you can drop yourself an HMG to ward off fades.

Mine or two is 2.5 or 5 res, and you have to replace it each time someone comes. Welder costs 5 res, and it shuts that vent forever. Besides, welder can also be used to weld field marines.
In terms of resources, the welder is more efficient, yes.  But placing a mine or two in the vent takes no time at all, whereas sending a marine with a welder takes a significant amount.

In an 8 vs 8, though, it might not matter so much (as opposed to 6 vs 6 clanplay).

January 09, 2005, 04:18:38 PM
Reply #5

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I have completely redone the guide. It is much better, from a commander's perspective, and it should now fit on your screen.

January 30, 2005, 06:48:26 PM
Reply #6

Azazeal

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
Very well done 2, helped me alot in my quest to learn the ways of the commander :p