Author Topic: Detailed Map Strategies - Tanith (ns_tanith)  (Read 3653 times)

January 01, 2005, 09:01:53 AM
Read 3653 times

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
In this guide, we will discuss chamber placement for the gorge (builder lifeform).

A tip I always use when placing OC's is to have at least one, preferably two other OC's in direct sight of the one I'm dropping. This helps prevent sniping an OC down from around a corner. I also place OC's along walls, and not in the path of other lifeforms. In my opinion, Walls of Lame (WoL) aren't very good for hallways, corridors, or rooms with low ceilings, b/c it cause problems for largers aliens to get around. Besides, especially in hive locations or key locations marines may seige out or GL, the more spread out your structures are, the longer it willl take to clear them with seige or grenades, however a cluster of chambers will all die together.

For sensories, placing them in vents, or anywhere NOT on the ground are always best. In vents where they are unreachable, marines can not destroy them except by siege or boosting into the vent. In high places, they must be shot down, leaving the marine(s) vulnerable to reload. And I'm showing you all my sneaky SC placements.... grrr....

Also, for both chambers, please bind them to a key, b/c some of the placements shown require dropping them at the height of a jump, and the menu would make that impossible.

Hive Location - Waste Handling
Offense Chamber Placement

Waste is a relatively JP friendly hive because of three vents leading into it, and a ceiling support system that marines can hide up top on. However, a few well placed OC's can keep those pesky PG ninjas out, and help against a JP rush.

You'll see two OC's placed up top by the node, each on the edge, able to hit anything approaching the hive from the vent behind the node, the walkway from West Access, or from the hallway beside the hive. The two lower OC's are safe from shooting from a distance, but any wandering marine will be met with a surprise.

In this view, the OC on the left is the same one shown earlier, and the one on the ledge is mainly to protect against a sneaky PG. Again, the OC on the left has a direct Line of Sight (los) to protect that OC, and the OC on the leadge can assist shooting at anything that enters the hive room.

Sensory Chamber Placement

The best location to place a SC to cover the hive is right beside it, on the ledge. Marines never shoot near there, so an accidental discovery it not an issue. If marines have a node in that hive location, a SC at this point will cover it so you can ambush.

An SC here will cover a good portion of research labs AND the vent leading to Reactor Room. Placing another SC in the vent beside Research Labs and West Access (not pictured) will cover the remaining area.

An SC from this location will make combatting a marine siege or Shotty rush from the hallway beside the hive much easier.

Hive Location - Fusion Reactor

This hive requires little protection from inside, due to the need to use OC's in cargo and acidic. However, three OC's in these locations will cover the entire hive room from rambos.

You'll need a skulk boost, or gestate on that ledge, but that is a great place for an SC, and it will cover a part of Cargo too.

Hive Location - Satellite Communications

There are two places marines like to hide in the Satellite Communications hive location, one is directly under the OC by the node, and the other is beside the box in the corner on the right. With these OC's both locations, and anywhere else, is covered. The OC's on the left side on top can be dropped by jumping.

This is a great place for an SC because never shoot there, and it covers most of BOTH hallways leading in.

You will need to gestate on this ledge in order to place an SC here, but it will cover the hive and chamber fully.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2005, 09:33:03 AM by [mmi]rad4Christ »
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

January 01, 2005, 09:17:23 AM
Reply #1

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Key Positions - Chemical Transport Room

This is the room leading to SatComm hive.

When placing OC's in Chem, place them on the top, but along the edge so they can cover the high and low ground.

As you can see, from this hallway, there is one OC open to fire, so remember OC's are only early warning systems, never OC a room and leave it unnoticed.

This is from the lower walkway beside the entrance to SatComm hive. You can see three OC's in firing positions.

The hallways can be protected from ninja PG's as shown here. Notice that by placing the OC's in the corners allows them to shoot down BOTH sides of the hallway, making them more effective.

One place to NOT place a SC is in the vent from Acidic to Chem. This will block the skulks movement to help ambush, leaving the only other possibilities easy to hit doorways. You can walk along the pipes from the vent to this location to drop the SC.
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

January 01, 2005, 09:19:38 AM
Reply #2

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Key Positions - Acidic Solution Processing

I didn't boost up to the top,. but you can place OC's in this place quickly, or you can place them higher if you are up there.

You need to place an OC on the left there to protect the hallway to Fusion.

By following up the hallway with this OC, there will be no cover for sneaky PG.

Key Positions - Cargo Storage

Of course the best way to start in cargo is to egg on the water tank and drop two OC's on the edge up top. Then place one OC on each side that can cover the doors.

This is the view from acidic doorway.

This is the view coming from Reactor Room.

This is the door from lower acidic, right side of Fusion hive.

This is the entrance from Fusion hive.
tim

SheenaYanai

January 01, 2005, 09:28:37 AM
Reply #3

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Key Locations - Cargo Storage

This is a great location if you don't a an SC placed in the hive as the picture shown earlier.

Of course placing an SC on top of the water tank is one of the best locations. But be careful, if you look too far down it will sink, and on TLM it is considered an exploit.

This little beauty is actually on the LIGHT, not on the beam. But it will cover the hive and most of the cargo room.

This is the hallway leading to RR. You can place a SC here to help cover most of the hallway.

Key Locations - Reactor Room

To fully protect Reactor Room (RR) from marines, six OC's can effectively cover the room. Shown here is the entrance from Cargo.

This view is from MS entrance.

This view is from West Access entrance.

There are two good places for a SC here. One is in the water, should you not have a boost, the other is on the beam, which will be harder to find without ping.

This is a sneaky little place to cover that doorway.
tim

SheenaYanai

January 01, 2005, 09:32:29 AM
Reply #4

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Key Locations - West Access

This will cover the walkway to Waste, and the node in West Access.

This will cover the ladder and part of the walkway leading to it.

Key Locations - Near Marine Start

By getting a boost from a friend, these locations can be perfect for ambushing marines.

You'll have to egg up here, but this is a priceless location.

This is the corridor leading to Reactor Room and West Access. An SC here can be useful.

Overall Map

When you are finished, the end result is something like this.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2005, 09:34:53 AM by [mmi]rad4Christ »
tim

SheenaYanai

January 01, 2005, 04:56:49 PM
Reply #5

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Don't take this post as rule of law!  Rad has shown some absolutly great setups that I would use in many many situations, but the wize gorge also prioritizes entrances that the marines are likely to go for more readily then the ones they aren't...  Don't be skiddish of dropping a couple more OC's in a place where you are getting high traffic and general OC coverage is not doing the job!

Also, with senosory chambers, alot of those locations are impossible to reach without a boost or gestating up high.  Do so if at all possible, but if not possible still keep in mind that the two major sensory priorities are always
a. put them in a location where they are not likely to be accidentally shot...  IOW, keep them away from OC's at all costs!
b. put them somewhere where they are getting the most coverage of your structures as possible...  this is a big one, as sometimes it can mean the difference between spending 10 res on SCs and 30 res on SCs...  although unfortuneately these two priorities are rarely mutually inclusive.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

January 01, 2005, 10:42:33 PM
Reply #6

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Very, very nice rad.
Now that someone has taken the initiative, I will start too.
To ns_nothing!
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

January 02, 2005, 06:59:33 AM
Reply #7

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
And just remember, you'll never get the map all lamed up like that. If you waste THAT much res on chambers, the marines will most likely walk over you with heavies while you're all stuck as skulks. Use chambers with descretion. Not too few, not too many.

January 02, 2005, 09:36:59 AM
Reply #8

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
And just remember, you'll never get the map all lamed up like that. If you waste THAT much res on chambers, the marines will most likely walk over you with heavies while you're all stuck as skulks. Use chambers with descretion. Not too few, not too many.
[snapback]37732[/snapback]
I'd say only put all the chambers in each hive (as suggested), but not as many chambers are needed in other rooms. Maybe chokepoints.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

January 02, 2005, 10:36:35 AM
Reply #9

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
The game should NEVER get to the point that the map is lamed like so. However, depending on the situation, if you need to use just ONE of these scenarios, they are a simple guideline.
tim

SheenaYanai

January 03, 2005, 06:31:44 AM
Reply #10

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
Swiftspear, you forgot another key SC placement rule.

c) Never place them where they obstruct movement, they should be placed in areas of low traffic (this is another reason why putting them up high is worthwhile).

To add to this I'd have to say that some of the nooks and crannies R4d suggested shouldn't be used, because players like me (and also many other ex-CS players will use these places to reload in cover). Examples include the corridoors to West Acces and WA itself and also between the terminals in Reactor Room. When I bump into an SC I'll be making sure the rest of my team knows about it if I don't have time to take it down myself.
A lovely thing to see:
through the paper window's hole,
the Galaxy.

January 03, 2005, 11:40:49 AM
Reply #11

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
rad, I know 91 is oc, but impulses for other chambers would be nice

oh, and I'm so killing all of your SC's now cause I you pointed out a couple cool places  >:D  <3
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

January 03, 2005, 12:08:26 PM
Reply #12

degamer106

• Lerker

• View Profile
This guide is actually pretty good.  But a lot of this comes from experience, knowledge of the map, and common sense.  Also, there's a matter of exploits...

January 03, 2005, 12:22:54 PM
Reply #13

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
This guide is actually pretty good.  But a lot of this comes from experience, knowledge of the map, and common sense.  Also, there's a matter of exploits...
See, in LM we have this rule:
These are the general rules, all the guidelines are derived from them.
6. Using cheats, skin, game or map exploits & abusing spectator chat is cause for a ban.

Exploiting is a good way to get banned.  DON'T DO IT.

January 03, 2005, 12:42:56 PM
Reply #14

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
^^

rad, above that beam in RR is a cool spot for an early cluster of DC or an alt for a SC.

Putting 3/4 dc up there is risky, but if done right rines who come the entrance have to deal with rapidly healing aliums, not to mention most rines don't notice it for some odd reason
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

January 03, 2005, 03:04:29 PM
Reply #15

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Swiftspear, you forgot another key SC placement rule.

c) Never place them where they obstruct movement, they should be placed in areas of low traffic (this is another reason why putting them up high is worthwhile).

To add to this I'd have to say that some of the nooks and crannies R4d suggested shouldn't be used, because players like me (and also many other ex-CS players will use these places to reload in cover). Examples include the corridoors to West Acces and WA itself and also between the terminals in Reactor Room. When I bump into an SC I'll be making sure the rest of my team knows about it if I don't have time to take it down myself.
[snapback]37809[/snapback]
C) is a univeral structure rule...  the only possible exception is the ocational OC that can still be dodged, but a good gorge always keeps in mind that any WOL preventing the marine team from coming in is doing so doubly for the kharra trying to get out.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

January 03, 2005, 03:37:44 PM
Reply #16

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
rad, I know 91 is oc, but impulses for other chambers would be nice
[snapback]37828[/snapback]
impulse 90 - Build Resource Tower
impulse 91 - Build Offense Chamber