Author Topic: Freemantle's Map Thread  (Read 2434 times)

December 05, 2004, 04:21:27 PM
Read 2434 times

[Freemantle]

• Lerker

• View Profile
    • http://
I'm starting to build steam into HL2 mapping, and I have a feeling that as time progresses that you will see higher and higher quality maps coming from this lousey 1.2Ghz. This is going to be the thread where I post what I have accomplished for the sodomizi-... ah-er... reviewing of the greater LM community.

My 1st map, a modified idea from the player Nil_IQ, is basically done and I am now moving on to different ideas. As I try to explore the possibilities afforded by the source engine, I will move farther from quirky, deathmatch style maps and into more thematic, believable environments.

Later this evening I'll condense the outcomes of my 1st map, dm_niliq, and attach a download and some screenshots. I will be mapping into the early morning on a different project, which I will discuss later.

Any input from the community (mappers especially, but players are very important to me too) is used and considered in all things. My top priority in all things is fun. It's not a map if it is a chore to play, and I'm doing all I can to improve how well they play.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 05:03:55 PM by [Freemantle] »
Your sig's dimensions are too big, max is 400x75, yours is 455x120. -DHP
[size=8]Why am I still playing this game?[/size]

December 05, 2004, 04:53:09 PM
Reply #1

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Looking forward to the map. The engine is called Source, btw.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 05, 2004, 05:02:11 PM
Reply #2

[Freemantle]

• Lerker

• View Profile
dm_niliq
[/u]

The idea is simple: kill your enemies without having a direct, unblocked, line of sight to them. This requires that you utilize indirect fire weapons, high-trajectory thrown heavy objects, clever teamwork to climb the barrier, or dropping cars on your opponents from 240ft up. This map is best played with teamwork enabled and a high playercount. Spawns are not side-specific. Any suggestions in coding explosive respawns and car-drops would be helpful in polishing this otherwise finished map.

Layouts are random, but pretty much look like this

Ominous!

Ominous: Aftermath

Thanks to Confused! for the host, download it at this server.

Also thanks to devicenull for providing another host! Download it at this link.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 06:08:21 PM by [Freemantle] »

December 09, 2004, 01:45:14 PM
Reply #3

[Freemantle]

• Lerker

• View Profile
Dm_midnight

This is a race map, tarmac style. This is my attempt into making somthing quasi-atmospheric, which was to totally destroyed when I realized that source wouldn't render any of it while you're inside a vehicle.

I originally had a weaponstripper, but realized that if you didn't find any of the gravity guns, that the map would be largely ruined when you flip your buggy (which you will). So the guns are in.

The pictures below don't reflect the final build of the map[/u][/color]. The env_lightglow entities have been tuned down a lot, to make the track look less like an alien landing.

There are a lot of things that I could have done visually that I might get around to, but the learning process that I have endured when going through this map makes me very tired of it. The next map I make will take the atmosphere a step further, and be a true DM map.

Central loop

The starting grid

In the future, everyone has a 300inch LCD TV

This is one of the reasons that the env_lightglows got turned down...

A buggy can make this turn without the e-brake no problem. Now 8 buggys...

Here it is from DeviceNull. Grab it now! (3.3megs)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 01:56:13 PM by [Freemantle] »

December 12, 2004, 10:34:17 AM
Reply #4

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
Looks pretty sweet.
A lovely thing to see:
through the paper window's hole,