Author Topic: New Lcd For Me  (Read 2940 times)

November 14, 2004, 03:58:13 PM
Read 2940 times

TheMunch8

• Skulk

• View Profile
Hey there.  New to LM, So i thought i would post a couple friendly threads.  
http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3736876
I am going to be buying this LCD for thanksgiving.  21.3 inch Samsung.  I'll test it out a bit, but from the specs and what i have heard, it is a great LCD.  I know everybody says LCD's are not as good for gaming, but I can honestly say that with the new LCDs, you can not notice a difference.  Combine it with the new computer I am building around the new year, and I will have a computer that can run HL2 with at least 70 fps  :D
Anybody try out this LCD or something like it before?

November 14, 2004, 04:33:01 PM
Reply #1

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Damn, that is expensive. Might as well buy another computer instead. You don't really need that big a monitor. You'll save money and can put it towards making your computer hardware better. And I think LCDs work fine for gaming. I got my LCD in early 2002, and it still is perfect.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

November 14, 2004, 05:22:18 PM
Reply #2

TheMunch8

• Skulk

• View Profile
Don't worry, I will have plenty for a new computer when i build it.  I go for the best there is when it comes to computers and parts for myself.  I got my really nice laptop 2 years ago, and it still outguns most laptops out there for performace and useability.  

Considering i program for 2-3 hours a day, 3-4 days a week, it is nice to be able to see a lot.  I am going to a University which requires a lot of programming to get a Computer Science major.  This LCD will ease my workload for the next 3-4 years.  I just will have to lock it down well so nobody steals it.  My laptop is secured pretty well.  its attached to a 150+ pound desk.  I will get a TV tuner in the new computer i am buildling, and it will serve as my TV also.  No need to buy a VCR or DVD player... Maybe I will find a way to plug in my Gamecube and my roommate's Xbox and we can play high quality...

November 14, 2004, 07:35:23 PM
Reply #3

Tooky

• Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
LCDs burn out faster though, if you plan to use it that much, get a backup or a tv for other usage because you'll kill it.

November 14, 2004, 09:02:39 PM
Reply #4

TheMunch8

• Skulk

• View Profile
How fast?  i have never heard of someones LCD burning out from usage.  I know people with really old LCDs that still work, and they use it every day...

November 14, 2004, 10:49:21 PM
Reply #5

confused!

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.confusionville.net
mm delicious lcd goodness:)
i ma ahve to look ingot one of tehse of my own, if nec/phillips continues to give me the finger on shipping the repair guy parts:)
( one would think the fact that it was a 2400$ monitor they might ship the parts but they are being asshats)
HUEG SIGNATURE IS NUKED

November 15, 2004, 04:26:30 AM
Reply #6

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
My only question is: Why not a CRT display? The two advantages of LCDs that I'm aware of are:[ol type=\'1\'][li]Takes up less space. Unless space is really at a premium, I call that a very expensive form of claustrophobia.[/li][li]Doesn't flicker. Maybe it's just me, but at 85+ hz, I don't notice any flicker with a CRT display either.[/li][/ol]So unless space is really a major concern, or there is an advantage of LCDs that I'm currently unaware of, I'd buy a high-quality CRT display instead and save money too. Not to mention the bigger viewable angle.

November 15, 2004, 05:04:01 AM
Reply #7

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
I have one of those old "NEC Accusync 75F". Its space consuming, I always have to plan out my new room before i actually move it. So i can actually fit it somewhere
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 05:04:41 AM by Intensity Rising »

November 15, 2004, 10:05:32 AM
Reply #8

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
samsung 900NF, would highly recommend it, for anyone looking at 19" crts. LCDs really charge a premium, but if you can swing the dough, go for it, i suppose.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

November 15, 2004, 11:00:20 AM
Reply #9

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
My only question is: Why not a CRT display? The two advantages of LCDs that I'm aware of are:[ol type=\'1\']
[/li][li]Takes up less space. Unless space is really at a premium, I call that a very expensive form of claustrophobia.
[/li][li]Doesn't flicker. Maybe it's just me, but at 85+ hz, I don't notice any flicker with a CRT display either.
[/li][/ol]So unless space is really a major concern, or there is an advantage of LCDs that I'm currently unaware of, I'd buy a high-quality CRT display instead and save money too. Not to mention the bigger viewable angle.
[snapback]33406[/snapback]
They're also not heavy or awkward to carry around.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

November 15, 2004, 12:09:57 PM
Reply #10

TheMunch8

• Skulk

• View Profile
LCD: Less space, less power, less noise, less hassle, and less heat  I live in a area where space really is a premium.  Isla Vista, if you have heard of it.  With all the books and paperwork i work on at once, it is hard to keep a big CRT on my desk.  Personal space around here is almost nill unless you pay 800 a month for your own room.  Living in a student community bucks the price up.  Living on the ocean does too.  combine those, and thats where i live.  Also, between all the electronic devices, power becomes an issue.  Bills are huge for power here, being as we are in California.  Also, the heat created by an CRT can heat up a room noticably.  Add a couple other CRTs, a copule computers, a couple other people, its pretty hot.  

900 bucks is a lot of money, i know, but i can look at it like this.  While i am living basically free, I can buy a bunch of expensive things that will last me 5-10 years.  If i buy this LCD now, it won't have to be replaced for at least 5-10 years.  That means when i am scraping for rent once i get out of college, i won't have to go replace my moniter cause it doesn't work anymore.

November 15, 2004, 01:26:53 PM
Reply #11

confused!

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.confusionville.net
admit it at least part of it was intimidating the other geeks.:)

so pick up some  "leet haxor chick" ( to quote someone on the ns forums)

and you're like:  "hey baby  wanna check out my 21 in lcd?"
and she is all like "You SO dont have a 21 lcd!!"
and you lay it on  "baby, it will rock you world"
and so you take her home and three weeks later your first love child has wrecked havok on the NSA.

We all know.

I know thats why I bought the case I did. taht and it can be used toheat my entire appartment. in indiana. in winter. with the windows open.

ok, i think im done now...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 01:29:48 PM by confused! »
HUEG SIGNATURE IS NUKED

November 15, 2004, 08:25:58 PM
Reply #12

TheMunch8

• Skulk

• View Profile
lol.  wouldnt more girls be impressed with a car or somthing though?

November 16, 2004, 10:45:31 AM
Reply #13

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
I know thats why I bought the case I did. taht and it can be used toheat my entire appartment. in indiana. in winter. with the windows open.

ok, i think im done now...
[snapback]33439[/snapback]

hahHAhaahha :)
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

November 16, 2004, 10:47:57 AM
Reply #14

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
lol.  wouldnt more girls be impressed with a car or somthing though?
[snapback]33467[/snapback]
not if they are nerd girls :D

November 16, 2004, 10:48:57 PM
Reply #15

TheMunch8

• Skulk

• View Profile
lol.  wouldnt more girls be impressed with a car or somthing though?
[snapback]33467[/snapback]
not if they are nerd girls :D
[snapback]33492[/snapback]
My GF is impressed that i know how to program something that asks for 2 numbers, and adds them.  *grin* The simple things.   :D

November 17, 2004, 08:04:18 AM
Reply #16

ANeM

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • Steam profile
My best friend, who happens to be female, is working on a website design featuring Master Cheif for her personal website. At the same time she thinks I'm a nerd for thinking Gordon Freeman is awesome  :(

In short, girls are all crazy. Including the nerdy ones =/
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 08:09:53 AM by ANeM »

November 18, 2004, 06:41:05 AM
Reply #17

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yes! Caarrrraaaaazzzaaaayyyy! And men are dumb.