Author Topic: Star Wars Battlefield Or Something  (Read 3375 times)

September 22, 2004, 02:34:19 AM
Read 3375 times

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The ads looked interesting but I'm a discriminating buyer. Since I really don't put much stock in some 'reviewer' who may or may not be paid to 'put in a good word' I want to know if anyone here has it yet.

Is it good? What are the downsides (every game has 'em so if you tell me it doesn't you're full of crap :p)?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 02:34:41 AM by Uranium - 235 »

September 22, 2004, 05:35:20 AM
Reply #1

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well, you know, like, there's a big, hard-to-overlook STAR WARS on the box. Star Wars and gaming is like pizza with chocolate topping - they don't go well together.

September 22, 2004, 06:12:12 AM
Reply #2

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
star wars battlefront, imo its worth a try, battles rocks, really makes you feel as if youre in the movies fighting the great battles and stuff

but its basically battlefield 1942/vietnam gameplay, i never was a big fan of battlefield games, since they bored me real quick, but star wars makes it way more fun and interesting

o yea and theres darth vader !

-_^

September 22, 2004, 09:57:39 AM
Reply #3

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Hasn't this game just been released? The graphics look like Half-Life.

September 22, 2004, 10:51:13 AM
Reply #4

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
oh look... the HUD looks like a bad ripoff of the one from metroid prime v_v

September 22, 2004, 11:58:58 AM
Reply #5

sonic

• Fade

• View Profile
Yeah, the graphics are mediocre and REALLY blurry  <_<

September 22, 2004, 12:24:22 PM
Reply #6

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
graphics arent anything really special, theyre not too shabby tho at 1280 x 1024, nearly as good as bf:v graphics, and the blurryness you speak of it the "glow" effect thing. which you can turn off and on, may look like crap in ss's but looks great ingame
-_^

September 22, 2004, 12:33:13 PM
Reply #7

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The models look like a combination of 'good' and 'crap' :p Like one guy made the Stormtroopers legs and pelvis, and some other guy made the head, then a third dude made the arms, and some polish-speaking guy from Slovenia made the blocky feet.

September 22, 2004, 12:34:09 PM
Reply #8

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well, you know, like, there's a big, hard-to-overlook STAR WARS on the box. Star Wars and gaming is like pizza with chocolate topping - they don't go well together.
[snapback]29408[/snapback]

Are you saying that Jedi Knight was crap?  <_<

September 22, 2004, 01:29:09 PM
Reply #9

BOZO

• Skulk

• View Profile
Looks like bf1942 all over again  :angry: "run around a huge map and then get run over, but this time you get a lightsaber!" OLOL FUN!

September 22, 2004, 01:29:35 PM
Reply #10

-Lancer-

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
[snapback]29408[/snapback]

Are you saying that Jedi Knight was crap?  <_<
[snapback]29427[/snapback]
You better not be saying that or you might have to face teh wrath of teh LM Jedi Knight  <3 ers

September 22, 2004, 01:52:17 PM
Reply #11

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I agree with Uranium; that Stormtropper looks like different people modeled him. Anyway, I never really thought BF1942 was that great, so I probably wouldn't really like this if the gameplay is the same.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

September 23, 2004, 07:19:59 AM
Reply #12

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Jedi Knight might've been better if it wasn't bogged down with, you know, Jedis. A license is always cumbersome to work with, and it really showed. "You must be able to do this because Jedis can" and "you can't be able to do this because Jedis can't" can really make it tough to design a game.
As for Battlefield, apparently the AI is
as dumb as paint.
Check Penny Arcade for the full "review". And from what I've heard, you can't really get around having to deal with AI, as the game consists of large battles that no server could possibly handle if all the combatants had to be players.

September 23, 2004, 08:18:21 PM
Reply #13

Sydney Carton

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://etotheipi.blogspot.com
Let me put it this way: if I bought it, and it wasn't a Star Wars game, I'd be... eh, about it. But since it is an SW game, I think it's absolutely fantastic.

It has pretty much all the battlefields you'd want from the movie, and some you probably won't recognize. The classes are all pretty unique, and there's all sorts of speeders and ships lying around if you want some fun with that (including AT-ATs, X-Wings, etc).

The downsides: everything you've heard about the AI is probably an understatement. It's absolute, horrible rubbish. They'll spend half their time running into corners, shooting at the ground, and doing other stupid things. But it's annoying, because the only mode they're really challenging on is Hard and that's only because they gain a crapload of accuracy on that setting.

Furthermore, they have this mode where two random NPC jedi (or maybe other influential figures) run around during battle. They're unkillable, and kill you pretty quickly if they catch up to you (which they rarely do if you run away). Besides being just plain silly (i.e. Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader running around in circles like idiots with their lightsabers out on the surface of Hoth), the horribleness of the AI makes it even worse. Thankfully, it can be shut off.

Despite what you've heard, AI really isn't necessary. The largest games are around 50-person, but a 32-person game should do fine in filling up a map. The big problem with that is that the netcode is horrible right now, meaning things skip back and forth with even a good connection. Hopefully, this'll be patched soon.

Until then, the servers use AI characters to fill the slots, and a lot of times this ends up with a bad stacking where 3/4 (or more!) of one team is NPC. To compound this, one of the four teams in the game is horribly out of whack. The CIS (droid army) fights the Republic, which has crazy firepower and a jetpack unit designed specifically with a weapon that one-hits most droids. The droids pretty much don't get anything. So usually everyone wants to be the Republic, and ends up stacking against the worst team. There's no admin control available ATM as far as I'm aware of, so there's nothing really to be done about it until the lag issues are fixed and the NPCs get the boot.

So, I'd say the two big problems are the lag and the big balance problem with the CIS. Other than that, the multiplayer is a whole lot of fun, and it's Star Wars. I mean, come on. Just don't buy it for the single player D:
-------------------------------------
'Tis a far coarser topology that I refine...

September 24, 2004, 12:19:05 PM
Reply #14

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Galactic Conquest. Costs nothing, rocks the big one.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

September 24, 2004, 03:11:11 PM
Reply #15

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Galactic Conquest. Costs nothing, rocks the big one.
[snapback]29583[/snapback]

this feels better and more starwarsish than galactic conquest :p
-_^

September 24, 2004, 04:18:38 PM
Reply #16

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
The only difference is that Gal Con is free and therefore attracts more smacktards than a game you'd actually have to pay for.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

September 26, 2004, 01:09:11 AM
Reply #17

@gentOrange

• Fade

• View Profile
Greenground and I just finished playing this at a lan and :D it's good!

PTOOO PTOOOO *sparks*

Very fun mowing down clone troopers as a droideka and then rolling to sweet sweet safety.
Sig size too big, 22kb is the max size, yours is 28kb - DHP

October 01, 2004, 03:51:35 AM
Reply #18

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
If AO likes it, so it shall be. And it has been. And it is good.

And the AI is fine, I haven't found any reason to complain about it. Some gameplay designs I don't really like (Droidekas are cool and all, but they're about as accurate as I am in NS. Meaning they fire a whole magazine and one bolt hits their target), and a couple maps are atrocious (I hate the Kaminoan, Kashyyk, and Yavin maps), and some places of great battle are absent (Where's the obligitory 'Urban map at night with bottomless pits' that's been in every Star Wars game imaginable? (Courscant, Nar Shada, anything like that)).

I was really really pissed, however, that there wasn't a Death Star 2 battle. Imagine hopping in XWings inside a MonCal cruiser, zooming over the hull of the Executioner while TIEs blast the ^^ out of things and turrets trace turbolaser fire across the stars...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 03:56:51 AM by Uranium - 235 »

October 06, 2004, 11:27:08 PM
Reply #19

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I kind of had my eye on this game for a while; Battlefield 1942 was entertaining enough for me, and I've always liked the idea of being able to play as a Storm Trooper.