Author Topic: More Custom Maps  (Read 5647 times)

December 20, 2003, 11:08:49 AM
Read 5647 times

TheChuckster

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://thechuckster.beigetower.org
One thing that would make Lunixmonster a better server is to have more custom maps. Sure they are a pain in the you know what to download, but having a LM NS map pack would further encourage the NS mapping community... It's always been a problem that few servers in the Half-Life community host custom maps which is sad because amature game development is what keeps the community going and there are some pretty damn good maps out there that nobody ever plays. The inclusion of ns_hydrosity into the map cycle was a great start and from what I've seen, it had great results.

thechuckster.beigetower.org -- Finally a game site that's free.

December 20, 2003, 01:36:58 PM
Reply #1

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Actually, currently hydrosity seems to be emptying the server. It gave Mouse some valuable feedback that will no doubt help him in upcoming maps (and maybe in a new version of hydrosity?) though, so in a way it was a success, yes. But rest assured that having more custom maps are on the agenda.

December 21, 2003, 06:12:45 AM
Reply #2

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
Actually, currently hydrosity seems to be emptying the server. It gave Mouse some valuable feedback that will no doubt help him in upcoming maps (and maybe in a new version of hydrosity?) though, so in a way it was a success, yes. But rest assured that having more custom maps are on the agenda.
I think for non-regs that means downloading it, which a few feel is not worth the effort so hit another server. As for us regs, it's frustrating not knowing the layout. I think i've only survived one whole round on hydrosity, not because it's a bad map, not at all, but the fact that it's a whole new map to learn.

My poor little brain.
Hint: Use Guided Mode for helpful prompts

December 21, 2003, 08:26:43 AM
Reply #3

TheChuckster

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://thechuckster.beigetower.org
I easily played it from the moment I began. It helps to go marines first if you have a good comm but pressing C (default key) to look at the minimap is really useful.

thechuckster.beigetower.org -- Finally a game site that's free.

December 22, 2003, 05:00:02 AM
Reply #4

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I'll have to agree with Chuckster here: I don't find learning new map layouts to be much of a problem at all anymore, simply because of the new minimap. If there's a proper, 2.x minimap included with the map, getting used to it is a matter of only a few games. Even hydrosity, with its huge size and complicated tunnel network, took only a couple of games to get used to. I would still find the occasional vent I had until then overlooked, but overall, I knew the map quite well. If you find that getting used to new maps takes too long, I'd advise using the minimap more.