Author Topic: 'Ship' - Working Codename - Project Medusa  (Read 11725 times)

July 16, 2004, 09:01:16 PM
Read 11725 times

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
As some of you are aware, I've decided to make a 'Ship' map, since the developers are accepting submissions. I've spent the better part of tonight figuring out how the game works, and I think I've got a pretty good handle on it. I've yet to go into NPC nodepathing, but if it's anything like what I imagine it is, it shouldn't be too tough. Just a lot of work.

That said, the actual map hasn't started yet. I'm juggling several ideas I know I can do that would be all neat and cool.

First of all, I'm debating making it on a SPACE ship in the same form as 'Starship Titanic'. Which won't wholey be too tough. New skymap, no way to get outdoors, lots of windows.

I could do it in a Hotel style, but I'm aware there's 2 other Hotel-style maps being made right now.

If you have anything to tell me while I'm making this, well... tell me, because these maps are a HELL of a lot faster to make then an NS map. :D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 12:54:04 PM by Uranium - 235 »

July 16, 2004, 09:30:41 PM
Reply #1

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I think it would be an interesting idea to make a map somewhat based off of the cruise ship in The Fifth Element.

If you're going to go with your own original design, I'd suggest making outdoor-type areas, but protected by a glass bubble, like some kind of viewing deck to look out into space.

July 16, 2004, 10:39:42 PM
Reply #2

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
Zero-G recreation room ftw. Or forego regular stairs and instead have zero-G lifts. Well, not REALLY zero-G, as you'd just jump and be stuck on the ceiling forever. But low-G. How will you know you're IN SPACE if there's not something with low gravity, eh?

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

July 16, 2004, 11:21:44 PM
Reply #3

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Ugh, Grimm, I hated that movie so I wouldn't have any idea what you're talking about :p

I'm thinking about putting lightswitches in the cabins so you can ambush targets.

July 17, 2004, 12:08:49 AM
Reply #4

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I've only seen the movie once, so I don't remember too much of it well. But I do remember it was some big, classy space cruiser.

I don't think the lights thing would work since there is a radar, so anyone would know if someone is in the room or not.

July 17, 2004, 02:27:09 AM
Reply #5

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Not if I can do anything about it: http://forums.jolt.co.uk/showthread.php?p=...978#post6562978

Regardless -

The cabin with the lights out. I'll hope to spoof radars by packing the area outside with NPCs so people hiding in the corners can whack you when you hop out.

Cabin with lights on. Notice the closet.

View from inside closet.

July 17, 2004, 03:53:36 AM
Reply #6

Venmoch

• Gorge

• View Profile
Make sure you have a wine bar, with a piano that works.

FIX THIS!

July 17, 2004, 01:01:01 PM
Reply #7

ThoraX

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
add a janitor's closet for teh bob.
This is going to be some kind of reunion, isn't it?

July 18, 2004, 01:47:16 AM
Reply #8

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Dont' worry, in the same tradition as ns_desolate, there will be eastereggs :)

Regardless, it has been settled that I'll be making a luxury submarine, which will allow some pretty interesting architechture. It won't be as long as HMSRedrum, but will consist of three or four decks. I spent nearly all day tracking down and creating textures - I now have a very hefty, very comprehensive texture base to work with.

Here's a very out-of-date screen. As you can see I'm going away from the cartoony cell-shaded look and into a more somber tone - Personally I don't think that cartoony look really fits the nature of the game, at least in its present form.

Regardless, there will be plenty of places from which you can ambush, hide, and make your way around the submarine. This shot is from Deck 2, which features a Restaurant (behind the wall on my right), Bank, 3 Cabins, and Restrooms. Towards the front (behind the glass doors) will be a grand staircase.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 01:47:57 AM by Uranium - 235 »

July 18, 2004, 02:40:25 AM
Reply #9

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
You actually gonna finish this one?? :lol:

July 18, 2004, 03:33:53 AM
Reply #10

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
It's a lot less work then NS maps are :D

July 18, 2004, 11:15:44 AM
Reply #11

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I love mods where you can get away with big boxy rooms and no one complains. Which reminds me, I need to go work on my zp map...

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

July 18, 2004, 12:36:21 PM
Reply #12

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The thing is I need to move away from the flair for the dramatic (leaky pipes, big noisy fans) and move into a flair for feng shui :D

Then I need to worry about w_polys and north-facing doors :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 12:53:40 PM by Uranium - 235 »

July 18, 2004, 04:43:49 PM
Reply #13

Tombomb

• Skulk

• View Profile
Make sure you have a wine bar, with a piano that works.
VWHINE AND CHEEZ! HURH HURH HURH PIERE IS MOST DEFINITLY GOING ON THAT SHIP! (In very thick french accent)

(spelling)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 04:44:33 PM by Tombomb »

Thanks Dubb & Satiagraha for teh sweet hook up of Sig and Avatar
(Quote) Tombomb
DURPDE DUURRR????

July 18, 2004, 05:49:59 PM
Reply #14

Bijiy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I love mods where you can get away with big boxy rooms and no one complains. Which reminds me, I need to go work on my zp map...
I demand screens...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 07:15:41 PM by Bijiy »

July 18, 2004, 06:29:53 PM
Reply #15

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Take it to another thread! Out out out!

I engineered a piano, then used my digitizing machine (home made) to get it PERFECTLY into Hammer. BEHOLD! THE PIANO!

(If you cannot see the piano, it is because your internet is too slow)

Only one problem: I don't have a sound to play when you play the piano ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 06:30:23 PM by Uranium - 235 »

July 23, 2004, 11:06:55 PM
Reply #16

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Pretty much all of these are unrefined shots, just showing what the general idea is in the area. Lighting isn't right, textures aren't finalized, etc.

You can't see in this one too well, but the 'wells' in the corner of the room are full of water, with waterfalls going into them. Still need a bit more work to look really pretty. Textures are still bleh on the stairs, but I'm not worrying about that now.

The restaurant. Bathrooms along the back.

Inside the bathroom. Single occupancy. I'm debating making the doors lockable. Behind me is another door (works as a back way into the restaurant)

Behind me is a partition, and behind that is the grand staircase. To my left is the main doors to get into the restaurant. At the far end of the hall is a pair of currently busted sliding doors (can't figure out why). Behind that, and to the left, are the backdoors into the restuarant restrooms. The brig might be down there.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 03:41:30 AM by Uranium - 235 »

July 24, 2004, 05:10:39 AM
Reply #17

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile

July 24, 2004, 07:12:36 AM
Reply #18

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Your piano is the biggest lie of the century.

July 24, 2004, 10:34:14 AM
Reply #19

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Your piano is the biggest lie of the century.
The piano is encased in carbonite and is floating outside the restaurant windows, behind the skybox :) (Literally, I drew a big steel box around it and have it sitting there - it'll go in the lounge, provided someone can find me a 'piano playing' sound).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2004, 10:34:30 AM by Uranium - 235 »